Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Williams FP sight

Estacado
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Williams FP sight

Post by Estacado » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 pm

I am sure someone has been thru this. Can you use a Williams FP sight designed for a Marlin 336 on a Henry Big Boy Steel? The one that mounts on the two rear scope mount holes. With the target knobs it would be just what the doctor ordered to develop loads. Yes I know Skinner makes a sight for the BBS. I know it is a well made sight. It does not have the adjustability I am looking for. Thanks in advance.

Bob
0 x
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans"------------General Robert E. Lee

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Williams FP sight

Post by Henry88 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:29 am

Hope someone comes along with the answer Estacado......................
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:46 am

Estacado wrote:I am sure someone has been thru this. Can you use a Williams FP sight designed for a Marlin 336 on a Henry Big Boy Steel? The one that mounts on the two rear scope mount holes. With the target knobs it would be just what the doctor ordered to develop loads. Yes I know Skinner makes a sight for the BBS. I know it is a well made sight. It does not have the adjustability I am looking for. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Williams makes a FP sight to fit the Marlin 336 using the rear scope base holes. If the Henry has the Marlin hole spacing it will fit. Using the top mount peep a Marlin sometimes will need a taller front sight but maybe the Henry will not require a sight change. The Skinner sights look nice but for me compared to a Williams FP the adjustments on the Skinner are not the best if you change adjustments for a variety of different loads and bullet weights. I have been offered used Skinner sights from guys at very low prices and never bought any but maybe I should try one on something I don't need to change adjustments often. The top mount for the 336 also needs a hammer extension if it is on a Marlin 1894 but again I don't know it the Henry will need one.
The product number for the Williams top mount FP at Midway is 968159 and the Williams no. is 70222. Also the target knobs are nice to adjust but they can be a pain on a hunting rifle. I have both models and the target knobs don't go in and out of a gun case as well as the standard FP with the adjuster screws. They definitely don't like being put in gun socks. They also make the sight look a lot bigger and kind of detract from the slim receiver lever rifles are known for. I have a set of target knobs I will trade for a set of adjuster screws if you need target knobs. For the screw type adjusters I carry a flat small fishing reel screw driver on my key ring and it is just right for adjusting the sights and using the lock screws after adjusting.
0 x

Estacado
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Estacado » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 am

Thank you bandit1250
0 x

Beech Creek Gary
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Beech Creek Gary » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:07 am

The FP-336 works ok using the two rear scope holes on the BBS but does overhang the hammer a bit. I didn't find it necessary to use a hammer extention. I didn't like the way it looked though so I just this minute (I'm in the smith's parking lot typing this) dropped it off to get a third hole put in the top of the receiver to move it forward a half inch.
0 x
Attack Squadron 65 - US Navy - 1964-1968

Estacado
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Estacado » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks again Beech Creek Gary. I think that is what I will do also. Now to find a good gunsmith.
0 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Beech Creek Gary, is there any you could post a pic if the fp336 on your BBS?
0 x

Beech Creek Gary
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Beech Creek Gary » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:31 pm

It's at the gunsmith. He got about a month backlog on his work so I can't post a picture just yet.
Here's a picture of the FP 94/36 that the gunsmith put on my Marlin 1894.
20170518_085841.jpg
The Henry will look similar but is mounted on top of the receiver instead of the side.
Here's another one
20170518_090033.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Beech Creek Gary on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Beech Creek Gary
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Beech Creek Gary » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Estacado wrote:Thanks again Beech Creek Gary. I think that is what I will do also. Now to find a good gunsmith.
That's bread and butter work for most any smith. Should cost $25 to $50. My local gunsmith charges $40 to drill, tap, & mount the sight. I had him put a FP-94/36 (side mounted sight) on my Marlin 1894 & it cost $118 & change for the sight, drilling & tapping two holes, mounting, & sales tax.
0 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 pm

I was hoping for a pic of the fp336 on your BBS.
0 x