Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Open sights, anyone?

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Open sights, anyone?

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 pm

I know I get a little preachy about the merits of scopes and I often put in a nod for red dots, too. Even praise the advantages of peep sights, now and then. Might comes as surprise for some, then, to know that I'm also a fan of a good set of target grade open sights and, yes, such sights exist. True, a lot of factory supplied open sights are little more than sights for the sake of the manufacturer to claim the gun comes with sights, but some manufactures get serious about their factory supplied open sights. Here are two examples.

First is the open sights you find on various models of German made airguns. Here's our Weihrauch HW77 K under lever in 177 caliber. Actually bought this under lever HW, specifically to shoot with iron sights.

Check out this open sight. It's click adjustable for both windage and elevation with finger knobs, no screwdriver needed. Also check out the blade on this rear sight. By rotating it, you have four different options as to blade style and width. I added the HW globe to this rifle and, in good light, I can keep up with a peep sight which I have occasionally used on this gun. (Be glad to post some pics of some targets, but, by now, I think you've all seen enough of my shooting. Rather focus on the guns, here.)

For those of you who prefer to shoot rimfire, probably the best set of open sights I've ever encountered on a 22 can be found on CZ 452 rimfires that come with those fabulous CZ tangent rear sights, such as this 452 Trainer in 22 LR.

The rear sight is called a tangent sight because you can instantly adjust elevation by sliding a bracket up or down a ramp that is indexed with yardage markers. (A little easier to see on this BRNO version of the CZ)

My first experience with the CZ tangent sight blew me away. Was at the range and had just installed a peep sight (Skinner) on a newly acquired CZ 452. Unfortunately, I ran out of elevation using the CZ factory front sight. Rather than give up, I just removed the peep sight and decided to just give the factory open sight a try. Have to say, I forgot all about the peep.

The one thing both of these examples have in common is the combination of a sharp blade front sight with a sharp, square cut notch in the rear sight. This is the combination that gives me the best bullseye target accuracy and, not surprisingly, it provides the same sight picture as a good set of pistol target sights. For field work and/or hunting, I know lots of folks prefer a bead front sight or fiber optic front in combination with shallower cut rear sight blades, but not me. My best work has always been with square cut notch rear and blade front. If Henry would see fit to ditch that bead front sight on the SGC, I'd be very tempted. :)
7 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Open sights, anyone?

Post by Henry88 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Great post as always NCG
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:40 pm

NCG, you are preachin' to the choir with me. While I too have come around a bit to the merits of scopes, I really enjoy shooting with open sights- especially good ones.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks, guys. Ditto, I knew you'd appreciate this one. :)
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:04 pm

I do appreciate it. I think many shooters these days never even consider experiencing shooting with iron sights, and they are missing out on a very enjoyable and rewarding experience.

Here's a true life example: recently at the range a guy was shooting an "old school" AR, one with the standard FSB front sight and a carry handle with an aperture sight. This guy is no novice- he comes to the range a lot, and even has an ffl. But he was shooting the AR with irons, and he was really enjoying himself, because he was surprised at what he was able to do with those sights.

After he hit a couple of 8 inch steel targets at 100 yards, I said, "Hey- now shoot the hockey puck." He asked me what I meant, and I said, "Shoot the little steel swinger. It's about the size of a hockey puck." He went and looked through the spotting scope to see what I was talking about, and then came back to the bench and hit it a couple of times. He was happy as a pig in mud after that.

I was happy for him, too. But I was also struck by the fact that, for some reason, this shooter who was pretty experienced had no idea of what he and an iron sighted rifle were capable of.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 16, 2017 5:42 pm

For sure, I do get a big kick pitting iron sights, especially open sights, to work. Adds a bit more satisfaction than making hits with the scope. Takes me back to the basics, back when I started shooting, oh, so many years, ago. I remember trying a scope, every now and then on my 22 rifles, but always ended up going back to iron sights, partially because so much of my shooting, even back then, was from a standing position. Took a long time for me to warm up to scopes.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm back at the starting line still looking at the threads on peep sights vs. optics! So many options....so little time.

"Target grade open sights." Your first close-up photo of the open blade sight with finger knobs to adjust windage and elevation, and the rotating plate to allow four options of blade style/width, is a sight which provides all that is needed. Both simple and sophisticated at the same time from what I can see.

You mentioned your preference that Henry would drop the front bead on the SGC and use a front blade. Since the Henry stock sight is a dovetail, wouldn't it be very simple to drift out the bead and put a blade in its place?

Glad you keep on posting such informative threads, NCG. We Henry Folk should be amongst some of the best-taught rifle owners around! I know Ditto would provide his ditto on that! ;)
0 x

~Пока~

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 pm

PT7, it would be very easy to switch out the front sight on a Small Game Carbine, but I think that begs the question of why Henry would not put the "correct" front sight on a gun with a peep sight to begin with. It's not as if they don't know any better. My Henry .30-30, from before they re-worked them, has XS Ghostring sights, and the front sight is a blade.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 16, 2017 7:42 pm

I agree. It would be no problem switching out to a blade. One thing, though, is that the bead front sight has always been the traditional front sight for classic lever guns and single shots. Very traditional. Some might object to this departure from tradition.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:13 pm

I think both of your answers (my bold font) point to the broader consideration.
"...the correct front sight..." versus "...object to this departure from tradition."

Looks like almost a 180* to me, which is also the norm. And I guess sight manufacturers would be dismayed if they had no customers because everyone was happy with the sights on their firearms.

Also thinking about your Henry .30-30. Similarly, my first 12-ga shotgun (Benelli Nova Tactical with 18-1/2" barrel) had been made with stock sights of rear ghost-ring and front post. The post was thick enough that it looked almost like a large blade as you saw it through the ghost-ring. This s/g was very easy to aim, was very accurate, and I shot it really well.

I also bet that a good manufacturer (like Henry) would be swamped if they opened the door to custom-requests for their rifles. Cannot imagine the diversity of options that would come up.

The firearms world is an interesting place to browse around, isn't it?!? ;)
ditto1958 wrote:PT7, it would be very easy to switch out the front sight on a Small Game Carbine, but I think that begs the question of why Henry would not put the "correct" front sight on a gun with a peep sight to begin with. It's not as if they don't know any better. My Henry .30-30, from before they re-worked them, has XS Ghostring sights, and the front sight is a blade.
North Country Gal wrote:I agree. It would be no problem switching out to a blade. One thing, though, is that the bead front sight has always been the traditional front sight for classic lever guns and single shots. Very traditional. Some might object to this departure from tradition.
0 x

~Пока~