Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner peep and front

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Re: Skinner peep and front

Post by Sporter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:14 am

OK. Got the rear peep on this Big Boy Steel in 44 mag. Very pleased. But it is printing 3-4" high at 50 yds with my full power hunting hand-loads which are Hornady 240 gr XTPs. I have the rear sight all the way down. So... my front is not high enough. This is what I read on the Skinner web page: "If we are asked, we will "suggest" our 1/2"x.650" front (and trim to exact height as needed) or our .570" tall Fiber Optic front sight. These are just suggestions." What is your experience/recommendation here?
0 x

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Post by Sporter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:25 am

One more thing... another option is to get the shorter peep stem: short Stems are .030" Shorter. This would likely do it as well.
0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am

Sporter wrote:OK. Got the rear peep on this Big Boy Steel in 44 mag. Very pleased. But it is printing 3-4" high at 50 yds with my full power hunting hand-loads which are Hornady 240 gr XTPs. I have the rear sight all the way down. So... my front is not high enough. This is what I read on the Skinner web page: "If we are asked, we will "suggest" our 1/2"x.650" front (and trim to exact height as needed) or our .570" tall Fiber Optic front sight. These are just suggestions." What is your experience/recommendation here?
You are correct. Since your printing high. To lower the print, and you have no other way to adjust/lower the rear sight....your gonna have to raise the front sight post. Since you asked about my recommendation....I'd get the .570" tall fiber optic front sight. Your option are orange at the Skinner Sight website or red at MidwayUSA.

The Williams Fire Sight Rifle Bead Fiber Optic Red....I have one on one of my Henry rifles.

Williams Fire Sight Rifle Bead Fiber Optic Red
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/517699 ... -optic-red
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:33 am

Sporter wrote:One more thing... another option is to get the shorter peep stem: short Stems are .030" Shorter. This would likely do it as well.
The shorter stem might limit your adjustment when you engage a target at 100 or even at 150 yards. My hunting load, my max is 200 yards. After 200 yards....I have to start making large elevation adjustments.
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Post by Sporter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:35 am

Is .570 enough? Skinner says: "It is our understanding that some of the Henry Big Boy Steel frame models have a .570" factory front sight. For those rifles, if a taller sight is needed our .650" tall Patridge blade would be our "suggestion"". If the factory is already .570 then another sight at .570 will not be tall enough.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:37 am

Rugerfanboy wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:
Rugerfanboy wrote:If you aim for center mass and the bullet prints left. To move the bullet back to center mass....you move the rear sight the same way to want the bullet to move....too the right.

The front sight post is opposite of the rear. If the you shoot for center mass and the bullet prints right....you move the front post to the left. This adjustment of the front sight....will move the bullet back to the left even thou you moved the front sight post to the left.

Did I confuse anybody let.... hope not...!!! :lol: :D :mrgreen:

This video will explain on what I'm talking about. This is the way we done it in the military.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnoQeNhXRGE
This is the way I've always adjusted mine. Don't think about it just do it.
Correct me if I'm wrong....but weren't you in the service....??? That would clearly identify/explain why you understand. Not saying anyone that didn't serve wouldn't understand. Your last statement of....Don't think about it just do it.... is a clear indication that it comes natural for you. Kind of hard to forget something that's drilled into ones head....day 1 in service. My above description is how I was taught in the service and that's how I try to teach/show everyone that ask for help. Regardless if they've served or not.

It's a great feeling teaching someone how to shoot and adjust there sights. Even showing them how to disassemble, clean and assemble there firearm is icing on the cake for me. I'm no longer in the service and I don't work on firearm's anymore. But....I take pride in both areas and always offer help when someone asks for help. This past spring and summer....I had two women ask me if I would teach them how to shoot so that they could take the CCW class and try to get there CCW (concealed carry weapons) license. Both said they've never have fired a weapon in there life before. I was very happy both times. Both have went on too get there CCW license.
Yes I was in the Army and was trained on the M14. All adjustments were made to the rear sight.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:28 pm

Sporter wrote:Is .570 enough? Skinner says: "It is our understanding that some of the Henry Big Boy Steel frame models have a .570" factory front sight. For those rifles, if a taller sight is needed our .650" tall Patridge blade would be our "suggestion"". If the factory is already .570 then another sight at .570 will not be tall enough.
My Big Boy Steel 44 mag and Big Boy Steel 357 mag both came with a .530" tall front sight (44 mag is 2015 model and 357 mag is a 2016 model). And I put a .570'' on both of them. My 44 did have a .530'' but I changed my powder charge and had to change the front sight cause of it. Both of my rifles are zeroed at 100 yards.

Since you've already drifted your front sight before, take it off the rifle and measure it with your calipers. I tried to measure the front sight still on the rifle and it just can't be done accurately. I would bet your rifle has a .530" tall front sight.

What it boils down to, your gonna have to find out what came on your rifle and then go from there. If it has a .530" front sight, then you need to order a .570"front sight. If it has a .570" front sight, then you need to order the taller front sight.
0 x

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Post by Sporter » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks. Will do. Very helpful.
1 x

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Post by Sporter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:41 am

OK here is the data. 4" high at 50 yds with Skinner rear peep and factory front. Rear turned all the way down. Removed factory front and from bottom of the sight to top is measures .490 with my calipers. So, I want to get a Skinner front. How high should it be? I want to be able to raise the rear peep a couple of turns and sight at 50 and 100 yds. I will be shooting a variety of hand loads. Light shooting plated and full-house XPTs for hunting.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:22 am

Sporter wrote:OK here is the data. 4" high at 50 yds with Skinner rear peep and factory front. Rear turned all the way down. Removed factory front and from bottom of the sight to top is measures .490 with my calipers. So, I want to get a Skinner front. How high should it be? I want to be able to raise the rear peep a couple of turns and sight at 50 and 100 yds. I will be shooting a variety of hand loads. Light shooting plated and full-house XPTs for hunting.
Contact Andy Larsen at Skinner.

andy@skinnersights.com
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater