Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner peep and front

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Skinner peep and front

Post by Rugerfanboy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Sporter wrote:Just got a new Henry steel big boy in 44 mag. (Very pleased.) I plan on getting a Skinner peep and front blade. The steel has the round barrel. My question is what front blade? Width? and height? I know the rule that I should shoot the gun with the peep and the factory front, but would like to have them delivered at the same time and I do want a plain square front blade which is what I am used to in my high power competition. The rear peep will be mounted on the receiver, and I will sight it in at 100 yds. Also, the factory front sight came mis mounted way to the right as you look down the barrel. Consequently it shoot 5" left at 50 yds and I can't bring it much closer. This is no big deal since I am planning to replace it. But it does complicate thing when shooting with the factory front. Thanks. It was great to find this forum.
Sporter....welcome to Henry Rifle Forum. Since you have the same rifle as me. I'll give you details of what I have on my rifle. I'll provide links below for you. I have the Skinner express receiver mounted sight on my rifle. I shot the rifle with the factory front sight still mounted and it shot perfect....just had a hard time seeing the brass bead. So....I wanted a fiber optic front blade since my eye site sucks (I wear glasses). The fiber optic front blade sight has made this rifle....really fun to shoot. On Skinner Sights website, he offers a fiber optic front sight blade....which are available in 4 heights. .410" ~ .450" ~ .500" ~ .570". You will need the .570" The .570" sight has a 3/8" dovetail and a 1/2" wide base. The fiber optic front sight blade will have to be fitted for the dovetail before it can be installed. I suggest using a fine file to file the fiber optic front sight blade base down so that it has a proper fit. If you need more detail on how to do this....just ask....were here to help.

At the bottom....I included the Henry style punch below (link)....but....I opted for the Skinner punch cause it's actually a drift punch. Meaning....it has a flat side for drifting. Helps keep the punch aligned to whatever your drifting. The Henry punch is just that....a punch. I have several firearms that I use the Skinner drift punch on and the flat side on the drift punch helps keep the drift punch aligned to whatever I'm drifting. Not saying the Henry punch doesn't do it's job....I just like using the right tool for the job at hand.

The elevation locking screw with finger knob helps when you need to adjust elevation. The Skinner Express sight has a screw that you have to use a allen wrench on to adjust the elevation. By using the elevation locking screw with finger knob, you don't have to keep the allen wrench around to be able to adjust for elevation. But you will have to use a allen wrench when you adjust the windage on the Skinner Express Sight. Windage adjustment is only done once. I'll include a picture. I enlarged the picture....if you want a close up of the Skinner Express Sight.

For me....I opted to remove the Henry buckhorn sight when I installed the Skinner Express Sight. When I removed the buckhorn sight....this left the dovetail open and the edges are sharp. So....I installed a blank in it's place. This blank will have to be sized just like the front sight blade. Sizing the blank and the front sight blade....took me about two hours to do. Since I had to size the blank and the front sight blade....I choose to blue the bottom of the bases so keep them looking like they did from Skinner. If you don't blue them....you won't run into trouble (I'm just OCD like that).

I also included the apertures encase you wanted to change the aperture size. I change mine back and forth for different application....so I purchased the Skinner Special for the apertures. The Skinner Special cost $50.00 for all five of the apertures. With my handloads....I can put the skinny on paper/steel if I want too.

Dovetail Sight Blanks $7.00
Elevation Locking Screw with Finger Knob $8.00
Sight Adjustment Punch $20.00
http://www.skinnersights.com/testimonials_12.html

Apertures $11.00 each or $50.00 for the Skinner Special
http://www.skinnersights.com/apertures_8.html

Fiber Optic Front Sight $20.00
http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html

Skinner "BIG BOY" Express - Blued $90 - Brass $95 - Black Gold $110 (Fits the Henry Big Boy Rifles)
Quote from Skinner Sights.......IF YOU HAVE A HENRY "BIG BOY" RIFLE #H006 (Brass) and #H012 (Steel) THIS IS THE SIGHT FOR YOU.
http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

Henry Gunsight Kit $35.00
http://henrypride.com/collections/acces ... 8464039046
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:41 pm

If you aim for center mass and the bullet prints left. To move the bullet back to center mass....you move the rear sight the same way to want the bullet to move....too the right.

The front sight post is opposite of the rear. If the you shoot for center mass and the bullet prints right....you move the front post to the left. This adjustment of the front sight....will move the bullet back to the left even thou you moved the front sight post to the left.

Did I confuse anybody let.... hope not...!!! :lol: :D :mrgreen:

This video will explain on what I'm talking about. This is the way we done it in the military.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnoQeNhXRGE
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Rugerfanboy wrote:
Did I confuse anybody.... If the you shoot for center mass and the bullet prints right....you move the front post to the left. This adjustment of the front sight....will move the bullet back to the left even thou you moved the front sight post to the left.
Very confusing, thank you.

That video demonstrated that in order to move the POI to the center, one would move the front sight in the direction of the errant POI (1:46). So, if you are shooting to the right, the front sight is moved toward the right.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:28 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Rugerfanboy wrote:
Did I confuse anybody.... If the you shoot for center mass and the bullet prints right....you move the front post to the left. This adjustment of the front sight....will move the bullet back to the left even thou you moved the front sight post to the left.
Very confusing, thank you.

That video demonstrated that in order to move the POI to the center, one would move the front sight in the direction of the errant POI (1:46). So, if you are shooting to the right, the front sight is moved toward the right.

That video demonstrated that in order to move the POI to the center, one would move the front sight in the opposite direction of the errant POI (1:46). So, if you are shooting to the right, the front sight is moved toward the left.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :?
In the video....the guy explains the F.O.R.S....which means....to move the Point Of Impact (POI) in relation to the front sight or the rear sight. Where ever your POI is....you want to move the POI back to center mass. Which ever direction you need to move....the rear sight is always moved the same direction that you move the POI to get it back to center mass. To move the POI back to center mass and your going to adjust the front sight....you move the front sight opposite direction of where you need to move the POI.

Rear Sight Adjustment
1.) Example....you aim for center mass and you shoot a group....which the POI is at 9 o'clock on the target....I want to move the POI back to center mass on the target....To adjust the rear....I need to move my rear sight to the right.

2.) Example....you aim for center mass and you shoot a group....which the POI is at 3 o'clock on the target....I want to move the POI back to center mass on the target....To adjust the rear....I need to move my rear sight to the left.

3.) Example....you aim for center mass and you shoot a group....which the POI is at 12 o'clock on the target....I want to move the POI back to center mass on the target....To adjust the rear....I need to lower my rear sight.

4.) Example....you aim for center mass and you shoot a group....which the POI is at 6 o'clock on the target....I want to move the POI back to center mass on the target....To adjust the rear....I need to raise my rear sight.

Front Sight Adjustment
1.) Example....you aim for center mass and you shoot a group....which the POI is at 9 o'clock on the target....I want to move the POI back to center mass on the target....To adjust the front....I need to move my front sight to the left.

2.) Example....you aim for center mass and you shoot a group....which the POI is at 3 o'clock on the target....I want to move the POI back to center mass on the target....To adjust the front....I need to move my front sight to the right.

3.) Example....you aim for center mass and you shoot a group....which the POI is at 12 o'clock on the target....I want to move the POI back to center mass on the target....To adjust the front....I need to raise my front sight.

4.) Example....you aim for center mass and you shoot a group....which the POI is at 6 o'clock on the target....I want to move the POI back to center mass on the target....To adjust the front....I need to lower my front sight.

F - Front (Sight)
O - Opposite (Direction you move the sight)
R - Rear (Sight)
S - Same (Direction you move the sight)
1 x

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Post by Sporter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Quick update. Ordered the Skinner Express for this 44 Steel. Also got out my brass punch and centered the front sight and will shoot the new peep with the factory front. Sometimes you have to just breakdown and follow the instructions.
0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Sporter wrote:Quick update. Ordered the Skinner Express for this 44 Steel. Also got out my brass punch and centered the front sight and will shoot the new peep with the factory front. Sometimes you have to just breakdown and follow the instructions.
You didn't order you a fiber optic front sight blade...???
0 x

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Post by Sporter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Rugerfanboy, I have not yet ordered the fiber optic for the front. I might. I am a basic kind of guy and may go with the plain front post. This is mainly because I am a high power competitor with a AR with irons and I do well with them. But for hunting in dim light the fiber optic looks very tempting. I am planning on the knob for elevation adjustment. I will be shooting different hand loads and want to make the adjustment from one to the other easily. I know the windage may be an issue but oh well. I wanted to order the blank to put in the dovetail of factory sight but, well, I just forgot to do it when I ordered the rear sight. So all that to say I will have another order going in. Thanks for the great info and suggestions. There seems to be a special collegiality among lever gunners.
1 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:13 am

Sporter wrote:Rugerfanboy, I have not yet ordered the fiber optic for the front. I might. I am a basic kind of guy and may go with the plain front post. This is mainly because I am a high power competitor with a AR with irons and I do well with them. But for hunting in dim light the fiber optic looks very tempting. I am planning on the knob for elevation adjustment. I will be shooting different hand loads and want to make the adjustment from one to the other easily. I know the windage may be an issue but oh well. I wanted to order the blank to put in the dovetail of factory sight but, well, I just forgot to do it when I ordered the rear sight. So all that to say I will have another order going in. Thanks for the great info and suggestions. There seems to be a special collegiality among lever gunners.
The thing about the fiber optic front sight blade is not just for dim light. But for me....where ever I point it at....the sight....for the lack of a better term....it pop's. The fiber optic front sight blade will really improve the weapon platform for target acquisition. Another thing that the fiber optic blade helps improve....is hitting your target. We all know that to be able to hit your target, you must focus on the front sight. Well, this fiber optic front sight really allows me to focus on the front sight and then focus on the target. It really improves my sight alignment, sight picture, rounds on target....just over all....operating the rifle.

Good thing that you didn't order the fiber optic front blade cause your hand loads might not need the .570" height....it just might need the .500" one. Hand loads are a game changer for these rifles. So, I kind of see were your coming from by not ordering it yet. Right now, hoping it doesn't rain in the morning, I've got a new handload that I'll be doing some testing on. I'm working on new powder charge and a new COAL (cartridge over all length) for my rifle. The powder that I'll be testing is not even a powder for a magnum load in 44.

Anyways....post back when you decide what route you decide to take.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:58 am

Rugerfanboy wrote:If you aim for center mass and the bullet prints left. To move the bullet back to center mass....you move the rear sight the same way to want the bullet to move....too the right.

The front sight post is opposite of the rear. If the you shoot for center mass and the bullet prints right....you move the front post to the left. This adjustment of the front sight....will move the bullet back to the left even thou you moved the front sight post to the left.

This video will explain on what I'm talking about. This is the way we done it in the military.
This is the way I've always adjusted mine. Don't think about it just do it.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Rugerfanboy wrote:If you aim for center mass and the bullet prints left. To move the bullet back to center mass....you move the rear sight the same way to want the bullet to move....too the right.

This is the way I've always adjusted mine. Don't think about it just do it.
Correct me if I'm wrong....but weren't you in the service....??? That would clearly identify/explain why you understand. Not saying anyone that didn't serve wouldn't understand. Your last statement of....Don't think about it just do it.... is a clear indication that it comes natural for you. Kind of hard to forget something that's drilled into ones head....day 1 in service. My above description is how I was taught in the service and that's how I try to teach/show everyone that ask for help. Regardless if they've served or not.

It's a great feeling teaching someone how to shoot and adjust there sights. Even showing them how to disassemble, clean and assemble there firearm is icing on the cake for me. I'm no longer in the service and I don't work on firearm's anymore. But....I take pride in both areas and always offer help when someone asks for help. This past spring and summer....I had two women ask me if I would teach them how to shoot so that they could take the CCW class and try to get there CCW (concealed carry weapons) license. Both said they've never have fired a weapon in there life before. I was very happy both times. Both have went on too get there CCW license.
0 x