Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner peep and front

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Skinner peep and front

Post by Sporter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:51 am

Just got a new Henry steel big boy in 44 mag. (Very pleased.) I plan on getting a Skinner peep and front blade. The steel has the round barrel. My question is what front blade? Width? and height? I know the rule that I should shoot the gun with the peep and the factory front, but would like to have them delivered at the same time and I do want a plain square front blade which is what I am used to in my high power competition. The rear peep will be mounted on the receiver, and I will sight it in at 100 yds. Also, the factory front sight came mis mounted way to the right as you look down the barrel. Consequently it shoot 5" left at 50 yds and I can't bring it much closer. This is no big deal since I am planning to replace it. But it does complicate thing when shooting with the factory front. Thanks. It was great to find this forum.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Skinner peep and front

Post by PT7 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 am

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Sporter.

There are quite a few posts on the Forum pages about mounting/using a Skinner peep and front blade adjusts. Have you seen them yet?
Also there should be someone coming along to help out, too.

Congrats on that new steel Henry .44 Magnum!
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:49 am

Welcome from CT. I have a Skinner express on my Brass Big Boy and I continue to use the factory front sight. It also shot a bit off center at first, about 3" to the right. I adjusted for this by tapping the front sight a little at a time with a brass punch, moving it slightly toward the right, which solved the problem. This may not be the best solution, but it works for me. I shoot indoors at 75 feet.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:23 am

CT_Shooter wrote:Welcome from CT. I have a Skinner express on my Brass Big Boy and I continue to use the factory front sight. It also shot a bit off center at first, about 3" to the right. I adjusted for this by tapping the front sight a little at a time with a brass punch, moving it slightly toward the right, which solved the problem. This may not be the best solution, but it works for me. I shoot indoors at 75 feet.
If it was shooting to the right then the front sight should have been drifted to the left.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:24 am

Welcome to the forum, Sporter. I also have a brass Big Boy 357 with a Skinner Big Boy Express" receiver peep - great choice for a sight upgrade. The Skinner on my rifle worked well with the factory front bead when I sighted it in at 25yds - don't really know if it would have worked at 100yds. I ended up putting on a Lyman Globe front sight to help with my old eyes. If you want to take a chance and order a front blade with the rear sight from Skinner, their website recommends a 650" height front sight which you may or may not have to file down to sight in at 100 yds. Additionally, I recommend you get yourself a good brass punch to replace/adjust your front & rear sights. I bought the punch/hammer set from Henry (couldn't resist the "made in America" and Henry logo on the hammer) and have already used it on three rifles.
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:44 am

Knocking the front sight around can be a game of hit or miss. I recommend a c-clamp for adjusting the front sight.
DSCN1103.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Post by Sporter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:25 pm

Yes for me to get the factory front in line I will need to tap it to the left as you look down the barrel. It is actually hanging off the right presently. Surprised it got by QC at Henry. I can't move the rear enough to correct for windage.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Sporter wrote:Yes for me to get the factory front in line I will need to tap it to the left as you look down the barrel. It is actually hanging off the right presently. Surprised it got by QC at Henry. I can't move the rear enough to correct for windage.
I was taught to center the front sight first then zero the rifle with the rear sight. I think we are saying the same thing here.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Sir Henry wrote:If it was shooting to the right then the front sight should have been drifted to the left.
That's not the way it worked. I did it that way because I was told to follow the bullet. I can't explain it, though. I moved the front sight to the right, looking down the barrel from the Skinner, a little at a time and with each push the POI moved to the left. But, you are probably right... or left. I'm not sure anymore.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:35 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:If it was shooting to the right then the front sight should have been drifted to the left.
That's not the way it worked. I did it that way because I was told to follow the bullet. I can't explain it, though. I moved the front sight to the right, looking down the barrel from the Skinner, a little at a time and with each push the POI moved to the left. But, you are probably right... or left. I'm not sure anymore.
I'm with you. If I think about it I get confused. If I just do it I get it right.
1 x