Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner peep and front

Alnamvet68
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Skinner peep and front

Post by Alnamvet68 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:18 pm

It would be great if Skinner manufactured the Big Boy rear peep to just work with the standard factory front sight
0 x

1911ly
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 1911ly » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Alnamvet68 wrote:It would be great if Skinner manufactured the Big Boy rear peep to just work with the standard factory front sight
The barrel mounted rear sight does not require a front sight change.
0 x
I hate political correctness!!

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:51 pm

Sporter wrote:OK here is the data. 4" high at 50 yds with Skinner rear peep and factory front. Rear turned all the way down. Removed factory front and from bottom of the sight to top is measures .490 with my calipers. So, I want to get a Skinner front. How high should it be? I want to be able to raise the rear peep a couple of turns and sight at 50 and 100 yds. I will be shooting a variety of hand loads. Light shooting plated and full-house XPTs for hunting.
This copy and paste is from Skinner Sights web page.
Figure it yourself with the following equation.

When you are unable to adjust the rear sight to work for your rifle because the rifle shoots high you will need a taller front sight. To eliminate the guesswork, you can calculate the additional height needed using the procedure below.

1. Shoot your rifle at a known range (say 50 yards). Note the distance you need the impact to change (say 6 inches lower).

2. Measure the sight radius of your rifle (22 inches on most Marlins).

3. The change needed is calculated by changing all measurements to inches then multiply the sight radius by the desired change in impact and divide that product by the range in inches.

4. The result is the additional height needed for the front sight. To get the height of the new front sight add the current height and the calculated number from (3).

Example:

I need to shoot 6 inches lower at 50 yards with my 1894, 44 Mag. With a 22 inch sight radius. My current front sight is .350” tall from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.

50 yards = 50X36=1800 inches

Desired height change is = 22 (sight radius)X6 (desired change)/1800(range)=.073 inches. My new front sight needs to be .350+.073 or .423 inches tall.

OR.... MAKE IT SIMPLE

To move the impact at 100 yards on a Marlin rifle with a 20" barrel requires .006" of sight change. (front or rear)

For example:

If you are shooting 6" low at 100 yards, your front sight needs to be "Trimmed" .036" shorter or the rear stem turned up 1 1/2 turns.

If you are shooting 6" high at 100 yards your front sight needs to be .036" taller or the rear stem turned down 1 1/2 turns. (If your stem is already at the lowest position a taller front sight is required)

If you are shooting at a shorter range than 100 yards adjust accordingly.

50 yards = 2 times the change needed. (.012" for 1" correction)
25 yards = 4 times the change needed. (.024" for 1" correction)

Front Sight Height Calculator At Brownells
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Misce ... ion_F2.swf

Williams Fire Sight Rifle Bead Fiber Optic Red - Height: 0.538" Width: 0.531" $15.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/931377 ... -optic-red
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:21 pm

1911ly wrote:
Alnamvet68 wrote:It would be great if Skinner manufactured the Big Boy rear peep to just work with the standard factory front sight
That's not completely true. I have a barrel mounted rear sight mounted on my Henry Big Boy Steel 44 Magnum and I had to change the front sight. Mainly cause of my handloads. Just depends on what ammo is being used.

Another option....would be too change the aperture stem.

APERTURE (PEEP) STEMS
PeepStems.PNG
http://www.skinnersights.com/testimonials_12.html
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

1911ly
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 1911ly » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Rugerfanboy wrote:
1911ly wrote:
That's not completely true. I have a barrel mounted rear sight mounted on my Henry Big Boy Steel 44 Magnum and I had to change the front sight. Mainly cause of my handloads. Just depends on what ammo is being used.

Another option....would be too change the aperture stem.

APERTURE (PEEP) STEMS
PeepStems.PNG
http://www.skinnersights.com/testimonials_12.html
Being able to change the aperture stem is part of the reason I said "you don't need to change the front sight" :lol: So I am completely correct.lLets not split hairs.

Even with the taller front sight on my 44mag I still needed to swap stems for some loads, then I just decided to shoot one load. It made things simpler. If I shoot something else I know what to expect for bullet drop between loads now, so I just do a hold over. Or just shoot for group size and not worry about center target. It's all good, just set your gun up for the most enjoyable way of shooting. Have fun!! That's what it's all about.
0 x
I hate political correctness!!

Sporter
Tenderfoot
Ukraine

Post by Sporter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:58 am

OK here is the update. Sorry for the delay. On this Big Boy Steel I put the rear Skinner on and it shot about 12" high at 100 yds. Took off the factory front and measured it. It is .490". Calculated I needed to come up .060". Ordered the Skinner .650 front. Took it down most of the way with my Dremel. (Its hard to put material back on!) Tried it. Still high. Took it all the way to what I calculated (.550"). Put it on. Tried it. Works great with the rear turned up 1.5 turns from the bottom. Went hunting. G
2 x

Beech Creek Gary
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Beech Creek Gary » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:47 pm

If it was shooting to the right then the front sight should have been drifted to the left.
That's incorrect....drifting the front sight to the left moves the point of impact to the right.
1 x
Attack Squadron 65 - US Navy - 1964-1968

Teddy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Teddy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Anyone install a Skinner peep sight on the Henry H001L carbine, the more I read the Skinner web site the more confusing it gets.
0 x