Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Red Dot for Homesteader

Sgelles
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Red Dot for Homesteader

Post by Sgelles » Sun May 28, 2023 1:03 pm

Greetings. I have been using iron sights on all my firearms and now have been noticing the trend to put red dot type sights on many different guns. With that said, what red dot would you put on a Homesteader if I go that route. I have already ordered a Range Point rail. Thank you.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: Red Dot for Homesteader

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun May 28, 2023 1:09 pm

I tried a red dot once and it wasn't for me. I just put on scopes. I see a lot of them at the range though especially on modern sporting rifles.
Jake
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 28, 2023 1:33 pm

I would personally want to know what kind of accuracy the Homesteader is capable of and at what distance, before choosing an optic. Because you are used to iron sights, then I think you can get a pretty good idea prior to making a choice. JMO.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Sun May 28, 2023 3:11 pm

Sgelles First off, welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here myself but there's a bunch of likeable and helpful people here. :D

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a new Homesteader with 100 rounds through it and no optics yet. The carbine is functioning well, the trigger pull seems to be improving with use and it appears to very accurate based on what I can tell with iron sights. I'm planning to go with a dot and will soon order the Ranger Point rail also.

My personal preference is to avoid "Made in China" but as we all know that's easier said than done. I've got a couple of Vortex dots (China) and three 30mm UltraDot (Japan) tube style reddots. I got my best handgun deer and only handgun bear with UltraDots and know firsthand they are sturdy enough to handle the recoil of .454's and a .475 Linebaugh. I can't verify this but the Burris stuff is supposedly made in the Phillipines, I know my 1X-6X 30mm scope is.

So....to keep the little Homesteader nice and trim I've been thinking about getting the Burris "Fastfire". Can't justify or afford anything in the Trijicon price range. Do your shopping and research and I'd suggest staying with a 2 or 3 Minute dot for best accuracy.

Keep us posted on what you end up with and how you like it.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun May 28, 2023 4:28 pm

Burris is made in the Philippines. I try to avoid that made in China to but last time I didnt because I wanted the green dot rather than the red. Personally I like the reflex sights on rifles. I just think they look sleeker. YMMV
IMG_2852.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun May 28, 2023 4:45 pm

For a “first” red dot, you can’t go wrong with a Bushnell TRS 25, it has long been heavily discounted, and it has now been succeeded by a new model, the -26. This is a great price.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy ... 726&sr=8-2

I use one on my 10/22 for plinking and love it. I have had about three in the past, all were sold with the guns. I like them. The Burris Fastfire is a great optic, but comparatively expensive, I have a Fastfire 2 on a 22/45, it is great but it is fragile. On a rifle it needs the wing mount, with ears, to protect it in a fall.

IMG_3555.jpeg
IMG_3556.jpeg

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun May 28, 2023 8:05 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 4:28 pm
Burris is made in the Philippines. I try to avoid that made in China to but last time I didnt because I wanted the green dot rather than the red. Personally I like the reflex sights on rifles. I just think they look sleeker. YMMV
IMG_2852.jpeg
I've got a Tru-Glo. I listed in the Classifieds. No one seemed to want it so it just sits in the closet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PVR288
Jake
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 28, 2023 9:09 pm

Red dots were designed for the military for short distance combat. They were never meant for accurate distance shooting. I would think one on a Homesteader would be a good match for home defense. I personally like Aimpoint and eotech.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon May 29, 2023 10:11 am

No Homesteader here but I did used to have an AR-9 in 9mm. I put a Vortex magnified red dot on it 3X and sighted it in at 50 yards. It was a nice combo for that distance. I don’t see it listed on the Vortex site anymore but I believe it was a Spitfire. Or maybe a SPARC.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue May 30, 2023 9:13 am

John Davies, that is one nice looking Pac-Lite you have there.
Hijack over.
1 x