Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Iron/Peep Sights: One Eye Open, Or Both?

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Iron/Peep Sights: One Eye Open, Or Both?

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon May 22, 2023 9:35 am

Curious what other, better shooters than myself (pretty much everybody...... :roll: ) do when shooting with Irons of any style. Do y'all shoot with one eye open, or both eyes open?

When I shot pistol matches, I shot with both eyes open. Pretty much mandatory to do that for quick target aquisition. But it did (and still does) seem easier to get a sharper focus on the front sight with both eyes open with the handgun.

Try as I might, I have an impossible time keeping both eyes open when shooting a rifle, no matter what style of sights, or with a scope. And especially so with any of my peep sights.

I do know this: After only a few shots when looking through a peep, my right eye gets watery, and focusing on the front sight gets really blurry. And groups go to poop after that...... :shock:
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Iron/Peep Sights: One Eye Open, Or Both?

Post by Hatchdog » Mon May 22, 2023 9:56 am

I have never been successful shooting any type of firearm with two eyes open. I’ve tried, especially with shotguns but my brain just won’t go there.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 22, 2023 10:20 am

I close one eye with iron sights but with low powered scopes I will sometimes keep both open. This works especially well with 1:1 power scopes however 1.5:1 isn’t too powerful. This works great for tracking moving targets.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon May 22, 2023 10:40 am

Im a one eye guy no matter what I am shooting. Red Dots scopes or irons. Irons are becoming more difficult to get focused at times.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 22, 2023 11:17 am

Over the years I've been able to shoot both ways, but I do prefer both eyes open when it's comfortable for me. Pretty easy with most scopes and okay with peep sights, but I usually have to go with one eye for open sights on rifles, but for whatever reason, not so much with pistol.

One trick I learned from way back in my training days, is that when shooting with one eye, be careful not to squint with the eye that you close. Just close it as much as needed, but keep it relaxed. Squinting it shut will produce a lot of eye fatigue over the course of a match, even with the open eye. In the old days, some shooters even went as far as to wear a patch over their closed eye, but I don't think you have to go to that extreme ... unless you want that kind of look. :)
2 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Mon May 22, 2023 11:25 am

I am most comfortable with both eyes open using peep sight or scope,
2 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon May 22, 2023 3:45 pm

I'm one of several unfortunate shooters who is left eye dominant and right handed. I shoot my revolvers and rifles right handed with my left eye shut. Both of my rifles have Skinner peep sights. I'm certainly not the best shot at the range, but I can usually hit the target well enough to be satisfied by my effort.

As a kid, a common birthday party game was to stand over a glass quart milk bottle (remember those) and drop a clothes pin (remember those) into it for for a prize. I learned to shut my left eye and position the pin directly above the mouth of the bottle and win the game... pretty much every time.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:35 pm

I have always been a one eye shooter and for the most part, I still am. Recently though, when looking through the new scope on my air rifle, I have tried the two open method. With parallax adjusted and reticle in focus, two open is easily doable and seems comfortable...to my surprise. 🤷
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue May 23, 2023 1:27 am

Well, lots of really good "eye-deas" & advice to consider here..... :geek:

In my surfing the web on the subject, I've come cross the trick of smearing a light coat of vaseline or something on the lens of the non-dominant eye's shooting glasses. I tried this while shooting with the Buckhorn sights of my Umarex BB rifle today. With this rifle, you have to load indiviual BBs into "cartridges" about the size of a .45 Colt or .357 Magnum (I confess that I've never measured these cases), and the rifle holds 10 rnds.. I think I may have kept my left eye open for maybe 5 shots, and then reverted back to closing it. Sigh...... :cry: And I still needed to do a deep clean on my glasses after shooting..... :mrgreen:

Gonna be a tough habit to break when shooting rifles, and not sure even if I'll gain anything...... :roll:

CT_Shooter, I dunno how you do it. When I shot pistol matches we had a guy like you. Right hand shooter, left eye doninant. He shot amazingly well, all things considered, until we had to shoot left handed. He was totally bumfuzzled when the left hand stages come up, for whatever reason.....It just looked way different with his head turned the way he had to so everything aligned......
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue May 23, 2023 9:24 am

Sometimes my targets indicate both of my eyes might have been closed.
6 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater