Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rear sight mod on my Rossi Ranch Hand..........

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Rear sight mod on my Rossi Ranch Hand..........

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:51 am

Couple years ago I shortened the barrel from 12 to 9 inches on my Ranch Hand which is okay to do since it was manufactured as a pistol.
While doing that I modified the front barrel band for a .120 dia. brass post sight. What was needed was to open up the rear sight slot to more than the .080 which I had done earlier when it was stock 12 inch barrel for more light around the factory front sight.

So I decided to make it a semi ghost ring type sight by centering up a .188 dia. hole with end mill and hopefully getting it lower that I might need so as to dial in the elevation. So far it looks to be perfect as far as the hole diameter and will make a range test at some point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Rear sight mod on my Rossi Ranch Hand..........

Post by Cofisher » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Just yesterday I was telling my x wife about this kind of thing. Many of us make mods, large and small, to make our firearms personal and more comfortable.

Forty, you have skills and tools beyond a lot of us. I like hearing from you when you’ve done another project.

I did iron sight work on my carbine. With only a beginners luck I was able to modify front and rear sights. As blessed as I am, it came out perfectly.

Good luck with your current project buddy.
2 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:18 pm

I was able to drift out a rear sight and drift in a different one. That's the extent of my gunsmith skills.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:37 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:18 pm
I was able to drift out a rear sight and drift in a different one. That's the extent of my gunsmith skills.
You have done very well with what you have RR !
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:16 pm
Just yesterday I was telling my x wife about this kind of thing. Many of us make mods, large and small, to make our firearms personal and more comfortable.

Forty, you have skills and tools beyond a lot of us. I like hearing from you when you’ve done another project.

I did iron sight work on my carbine. With only a beginners luck I was able to modify front and rear sights. As blessed as I am, it came out perfectly.

Good luck with your current project buddy.
Thanks Cofisher! Little ideas for improvements flash into my brain and sometimes they work.
1 x