Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question on Skinner sight adjustment

Seif
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Question on Skinner sight adjustment

Post by Seif » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:24 pm

I just got a Henry H001TLP Small Game Carbine with the 16" octagon barrel, what a fun little rifle to shoot :D

My question is what are the increments for the rear peep per half turn? I was shooting about 6" high at 50 yards, and of course I forgot a little wrench to make adjustments there, so what I need to know is how far down will my POI move when I raise the rear sight a half turn. I will obviously take it back out to verify any shift in POI I just want to make as little adjustments as possible at the range.

Thanks,

Jim

**EDIT**

I actually have it backwards. The rear peep was all the way down so I either need a taller front or change my hold over.

Right?
0 x
336RC, 1894C, H001TSPR, H001TLP, H001M

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Question on Skinner sight adjustment

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:39 pm

The Skinner peeps are not calibrated for specific cartridges or loads, so it's a matter of trail and error as to what half a turn on the elevation is going to produce for you. That said, I'll bet some of our folks with this rifle will chime in as to what their SGC does per half turn of the aperture.

If you're 6" high with the aperture all the way down at 50 yards, I'd go straight to a taller front sight right away.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:15 pm

agree .... 8-)
0 x

LeverGunFan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverGunFan » Fri May 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Well, I'm a month late to this conversation, but if it won't help the OP maybe it will help someone else. There is a fairly straightforward way to calculate the effect of sight changes and to also select a new front sight if needed. Essentially you use similar triangles to compare the sight change to the change in impact at the target.

In this case the rifle was shooting 6 inches high at 50 yards; 50 yards equals 1800 inches. Divide the error at the target (6 inches) by the range (1800 inches) the result is 6/1800 = 0.0033. Now multiply the sight radius of the rifle by this number, so say if the sight radius is 15 inches, then 15 x 0.0033 = 0.05 inches. That's the height to be added to the front sight, but with the rear sight all the way down. I'd suggest having the rear sight at least one full turn up; the Skinner sights have 40 threads per inch, or 0.025 inch per turn. So the front sight height should be increased by 0.05 + 0.025 = 0.075 inch. Use the actual sight radius in place of my guess of 15 inches in the formula above, and adjust the number of turns up on the sight to what you'd like to have for future adjustment.

You can also use this formula to calculate the effect of one half revolution of the Skinner sight stem, which is 0.025/2 =0.0125 inches. Divide 0.0125 by the sight radius (15 inches) to get 0.0125/15 = 0.0008. Multiply this by the range (1800 inches) and get 0.0008 x 1800 = 1.5 inches, which is the change in impact at the target.

Hope this helps someone!
5 x
Henry Long Ranger 6.5 Creedmoor
Support the Second Amendment Foundation!

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:52 pm

I put a Skinner Express peep on my BBS .44 carbine a while back. I filed off some of the threads of the aperture so it could go low as possible. Just got to shoot it today and yup, shootin kinda high.
With the stock front sight I was 3.5" high at 25 yards and a whopping 10" high at 50 yards. The OEM front sight is 1/2" high from the dovetail up.
Using Skinner's calculator page, and fudging the numbers back and forth, I ordered a brass front sight .600" high today.
After it gets here and gets a test I'll post the results. Another $28 down the tubes. :)
Maybe this will help someone else thinking of using a Skinner express on their carbine.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:55 am

I have shot the .600" front sight and the results are:
With the 225 grn Hornadys I needed to raise the rear peep 1 1/2 turns. With the 180 grain Remingtons I lower the rear as far as it will go.
Hitting everything now. The rifle is easy to shoot well and I'm pretty happy with the new sights.
I can break clays at 50 yards offhand nearly every shot, which is good for someone with the floaters and weak eyesight like me.
The Express sight works.
Cheers!
0 x

Kyrodan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Kyrodan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:22 am

Have the HBB 44 mag carbine. 16.5 inch barrel ordered the skinner peep express. According too one guy I should of also ordered a new front sight. Correct? Just getting into shooting and Henry was a must to me. Any help would be great.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:12 am

Kyrodan wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:22 am
Have the HBB 44 mag carbine. 16.5 inch barrel ordered the skinner peep express. According too one guy I should of also ordered a new front sight. Correct? Just getting into shooting and Henry was a must to me. Any help would be great.
Welcome to the forum from CT and congratulations on your new Henry. It is recommended to shoot at varying distances with the new Skinner peep to determine if you need to swap out the front sight. You may not. Let us know how you make out.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:58 am

I have a Skinner on a JM marlin model 336 30-30 and it's an excellent sight. You'll just have to try it and see. Mine is about 2" per half turn ( Best guess) at any rate for a 150 yard deer rifle it's more than capable of putting one in the boiler room
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

gdc2506
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gdc2506 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:44 pm

okay, somebody "learn me sompin'"... I just got a H001TM with a skinner sight. I've not even pulled the trigger yet, and I've never seen a skinner sight.

I was looking at the sight and I was under the impression that full rotations of the sight was the limit of the adjustment. What am I missing?
0 x