Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leupold!

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Leupold!

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 pm

The only Leupold scope turret in their current product offering that looks 'bulky' to me is the turret on their service rifle scope.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:04 pm

I have 3 Leupolds now. I would have more if they were less expensive, and less if Nikon hadn't decided to pull the plug on riflescopes. Like NCG, I have found that performance for dollar, Nikon was one of the best, and the brand I usually turned to. If I had any complaints about Nikon (and I do), it would be that they are one of the worst for getting carried away with eyepiece size. There is no need for a 44mm diameter eyepiece on a scope that has a 32mm objective lens. I like to mount my scopes low, and that 'feature' has forced me to Burris or Leupold on a few occasions, just to clear a bolt handle.
Burris makes good glass, but leans more towards hunting applications. The glass is great, but the reticle is usually a little thicker than I like, and they really like their BDC feature. I prefer a thin crosshair with no BS, other than maybe a target dot. Their Timberline 4.5-14 X 32 AO is a nice compact scope, and would be a good alternative to the 3-9 X 33 EFR Leupold (at a better price point), except for the reticle. The single brightest/clearest scope I have is a Burris...a 2.5-10 X 42 Veracity with a 30mm tube.
Leupold has been one of the better manufacturers at resisting the trend of using oversized eyepieces, and I appreciate that. Their 3-9 X 33 EFR is the only scope I could find that would mount on my 77/22 with low rings. The Nikon 3-9 X 40 EFR wouldn't even fit with Medium rings (due to bolt handle clearance). The above mentioned Burris fit with mediums (and room to spare), but just kissed the bolt handle with lows. Also, as mentioned above, is price...up here in Canada, things are usually more costly due to our Dollar. This difference seems disproportionate when it comes to certain things, and Leupold's products are one of those things. For example, that VX Freedom 3-9 X 33 EFR scope is usually $500 plus tax (13% here in Ontario) up here. I can get the Nikon 'equivalent' for under $300, and the Burris for just over $300. That alone is the main reason I don't have more Leupolds.
2 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:08 pm

I have quite an assortment of scope brands, but the most common are Weaver, Burris and Leupold. I find that when I'm looking to upgrade I seem to go with Leupold. I think they're the best combination of quality, light weight and ease of mounting, not to mention the warranty. And I'm totally on board with their models that still have traditional turret design and slender eyepieces. Some of the other current scopes could benefit by starving off a few ounces ;) .
5 x