Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bifocal Lenses

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Bifocal Lenses

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 pm

This hasn't worked for me. Focusing repetitive attention between the target, front and rear sights, making alignment adjustments is never ending with my eye glasses. Mostly give up and take a pot shot. Sometimes I get lucky with the POI.
RetiredSeabee wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:43 pm
Here is what works for me for most stock rifle sights.
Focus first on the target, you will naturally line the barrel up fairly well with the target. Bring your attention to the rear sight. It will become clear and the front sight will be fuzzy but you can adjust the alignment between It and the front sight.
Refocus on the front sight and check it’s alignment to the now very fuzzy target.
Keep your focus on the front sight and squeeze off the shot.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:19 pm

I feel your pain, however there are remedies. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

jwarrenod
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jwarrenod » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:56 pm

As an optometrist, who often times discusses firearms with patients, I get this question frequently. the best solution is getting the front post (long gun or handgun) into focus as mentioned below and putting up with a slightly burry front sight. I will often have marksman (not hunters) bring their long gun or hand gun into the office to determine the precise lens to maximize front sight/post focus with the least possible blur on the target.

Progressive (no-line) bifocals allow for slight changes in focal power with a small head position change to give you somewhat of a "best of both worlds" situation for post and target. But when hunting, there is often not time for that, so pay attention to the front sight and put it where you want it to go to the best of your visual abilities.

That being said, I'm waiting to get to the range to dial in my red dot on my 45-70, its just so quick and easy to get on a deer's boiler room that way vs trying to find the front post at 53 (I'll be 54 next deer season). I've got a new Skinner sight on my new to me Marlin 336 in .35 Rem to dial in too.

JW
Ojaileveraction wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 am
Focus on the front bead and place it where you want it on the fuzzy out of focus target.
That's how I do it.
Not good for scoring well for fine benchrest shooting but works very well for silhouette.
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:06 pm

jwarrenod wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:56 pm
As an optometrist, who often times discusses firearms with patients, I get this question frequently.

I see what you mean, JW. ;) Good info for your first post.
Welcome from the Show-Me-State!
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT and for giving us your professional advice regarding sight pictures. I'm glad you joined us.
jwarrenod wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:56 pm
As an optometrist, who often times discusses firearms with patients, I get this question frequently ...I'm waiting to get to the range to dial in my red dot on my 45-70, its just so quick and easy to get on a deer's boiler room that way vs trying to find the front post at 53 (I'll be 54 next deer season). I've got a new Skinner sight on my new to me Marlin 336 in .35 Rem to dial in too.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:43 pm

Another welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. After reading all these post about focusing on the front sight then lining it up with the rear and so on, Id like to say how lucky I am to not need to go through all that. If I had those issues in front of me what you did would also be my choice. Red dot for sure.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:03 am

What worked for me, until I got progressives, was to get a pair of readers for the range. I got the lowest power that would allow me to easily focus on the front sight. You can pick up a pair of inexpensive readers at most any department store.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Deacon wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 am
When I focus on the front bead and then move over the target I lose the front bead.
That is how I understand the eye works. When I was younger, I did not notice such a thing. As I get older, I have noticed that it is difficult to focus on more than one thing at a time. This point is also highlighted in a shooting guide from the link below. I also seem to prefer an open sight. But, I think that I prefer hunting with a scope. However, I only have one rifle with a scope. The others have an open type sight: semi-buckhorn or peep. They seem to offer a better sense of situation awareness.
https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/ ... mark.shtml

open_sight_picture.svg.png
open_sight_picture.svg.png (16.48 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
Last edited by GFK on Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:56 pm

90% of my shooting is for a sport that dictates open sites.
So if I'm gonna do what I wanna do, I gotta learn what works for me.
Appiture rear sight, tall Marbels 3/16 bead front.
Forget about the rear sight, just look thru the appiture and focus on the bead.
Place the bead on the fuzzy target.
Boom.

I'd use a scope for hunting.
3 x
Pax at Justitia

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:32 pm

GFK wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm
Deacon wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 am
When I focus on the front bead and then move over the target I lose the front bead.
That is how I understand the eye works. When I was younger, I did not notice such a thing. As I get older, I have noticed that it is difficult to focus on more than one thing at a time. This point is also highlighted in a shooting guide from the link below. I also seem to prefer an open sight. But, I think that I prefer hunting with a scope. However, I only have one rifle with a scope. The others have an open type sight: semi-buckhorn or peep. They seem to offer a better sense of situation awareness.
https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/ ... mark.shtml

open_sight_picture.svg.png
I also hunt with a scope. I am uncertain how well I could get a bead on a charging feral hog using a scope. My plan, in that circumstance, is to drop the rifle and pull my sidearm.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya