Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BB rail that allows use of irons?

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

BB rail that allows use of irons?

Post by John E Davies » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:49 pm

I am sorry, this has probably been discussed but I can’t find it. I plan to buy a Big Boy X .44Mag carbine when it becomes available. I want to mount my Leupold 2-7x33 scope with low Warne quick detach rings. The scope would be for sighting in, load development and range use, otherwise it would be removed and stored when the gun is in my travel trailer closet for bear defense.

I would rather not have to keep removing the rail every time, is there an alternative to the factory pic rail that would either allow me to use the factory sights, or perhaps that has a rear ghost ring? I don’t mind putting a taller front sight on it. Something like this XS combo for the 1894. As long as the scope would clear the rear peep.
0A5DA487-A7D7-4957-82DA-6B2BAAD9EF8C.jpeg
0A5DA487-A7D7-4957-82DA-6B2BAAD9EF8C.jpeg (100.69 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
THIS would be perfect, if they made a Big Boy version.... https://www.rangerpointstore.com/clove ... tinny-rail

Is there a product out there that would work for me? The alternative is to swap in a small 1X red dot when not using the scope, and just forget about iron sights entirely. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 that would work.

Thanks for your help.

PS, I emailed Ranger Point asking if they have plans for a Big Boy version of that Cloverleaf peep/ rail kit..... are there owners here who would buy one?

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: BB rail that allows use of irons?

Post by John E Davies » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:44 am

Here is what Kimberly at Ranger Point Precision told me in an email, which she graciously allowed me to repost here.

“My understanding is that we DO have plans to redesign our aperture spring to work with our picatinny rail for both the Marlin and Henry 44 Mag, 357 Mag and 45 Long Colt rifles. The shorter hole spacing between front and back requires a redesign of the “tail of our spring” which rides along the bottom of the rail.

It’s on the radar and we hope to have it done in Q1 2020.”

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/clove ... tinny-rail

Good news!

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:52 pm

That looks good. ID rather have that than the current rail for the BB they sell at Henry.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:49 pm

Look up my post in installing a Skinner Low Pro in the rear rail mount hole. If you are as lucky as me, it will make your "iron" sight readily available. Mine has proven to work, with a deer down.

I like the option of pulling a qd scope off and having a reliable peep sight ready to go.

Good luck.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Heeli0s
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Heeli0s » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:12 pm

Ranger point did come out with this rail. Can be purchased with, or without the aperture on it already.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Heeli0s wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:12 pm
Ranger point did come out with this rail. Can be purchased with, or without the aperture on it already.
Can you please post a link? I can’t find it.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Heeli0s
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Heeli0s » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:07 pm

0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:31 pm

That is the main Henry parts Index page, not the rail page. If you mean this: ....

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/clove ... tinny-rail

Then sorry,, nope, that is the original style for large frame rifles, it doesn’t work on the pistol caliber rifles. The hole spacing is too large and they don’t match up. They do sell a bare rail for the Big Boy for $39. I have one and it is decent.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x