Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Adding Scope To Henry H010 Steel .45-70

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Adding Scope To Henry H010 Steel .45-70

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:37 pm

good to see that you are giving serious consideration to optics and mounts that are designed to stand up to the forces of heavy recoil
1 x

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:40 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:37 pm
good to see that you are giving serious consideration to optics and mounts that are designed to stand up to the forces of heavy recoil
There are so many good optics choices today, and price ranges. I was glad to see Talley and Warne are made in the U.S. to keep
the rifle "Made In America Or Not At All" mantra going. :D
0 x
Jeff

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:39 pm

I finally made the time to mate the scope up to my 45-70. The only challenge I had was removing the factory installed receiver screws. Two of them were WOW tight! :o I was glad that I ponied up for Wheeler's gunsmith screwdrivers, they payed for them self today.
The scope is a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x 36 with the Duplex Reticle and their flip up lens covers. I used Warne's Maxima base and rings; true to their claim, they didn't require lapping. When I checked the alignment, my Wheeler alignment pointers were point to point. I checked the reticle against my Leupold bore sight tool, ten clicks of windage and 8 down clicks had it centered. I'm pretty confident it'll be on paper and I won't have to chase it to find zero. Overall I'm very pleased with how it all came together, using the proper tools made it even more enjoyable. Hope the pictures download ok should anyone else need a reference to what scoping a H010 looks like. :) Hope to get to the range soon.
Attachments
Henry With Scope Close Up.jpg
Henry With Scope Close Up.jpg (79.17 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
Henry With Scope.jpg
Henry With Scope.jpg (84.02 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
2 x
Jeff

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 pm

NICE .... very nice indeed .... looking forward to following your range reports and use impressions
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:39 am

Yes, that came together nicely. I have a similar Leupold on my Henry .45 Colt. Big improvement in my shooting. That does look good.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 am

It looks really good. Nice looking gun vise, too ;) .
0 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:13 pm

I may end up going a similar route later on. My original plan was a Holosun #512 sight. After I read the fine print, it said it was for small to medium bore guns. Doubt it could handle the 45/70.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:45 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:53 pm
Ive got a set of the Warne quick disconnect rings I like alot. Fit right onto any picatinnny rail. Yes there bigger than your standard zee rings but they sure give you some versatility.
Me too! I am a huge fan, but they have one glaring problem. The little mounting levers are SHARP!. I have had three sets over the years, and they still make them this way. I round the 90 degree corners and the straight edges with a fine file and sand them smooth with 400 wet or dry paper, then touch up with cold blue. I love the QD rings since I can safely store and transport the optic with little risk of damage to it, and the scope is out of the way when working on or cleaning the gun.

I have never needed to lap Warne rings when they are mounted onto a quality base. Cheapo off-brand aluminum rings, for sure.... some of those are scary out of alignment. You do not need to wreck the factory bluing or anodizing by testing with lapping compound on the Wheeler rod. Use some non-drying engineers blue dye to check for high spots and even contact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer%27s_blue

https://smile.amazon.com/Permatex-80038 ... r=8-1&th=1

It comes in other colors like yellow, but they are a little harder to source.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:50 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:45 pm
I have never needed to lap Warne rings when they are mounted onto a quality base. Cheapo off-brand aluminum rings, for sure.... some of those are scary out of alignment. You do not need to wreck the factory bluing or anodizing by testing with lapping compound on the Wheeler rod. Use some non-drying engineers blue dye to check for high spots and even contact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer%27s_blue
John Davies
Spokane WA
I was quite impressed how the alignment of the mount and rings were spot on. When you think about it...the receiver is manufactured by Henry, the mount and rings by Warne, both of them held their tolerances during machining and the fit was perfect. American craftsmanship is alive and well, wish more people would appreciate it.
1 x
Jeff

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 pm

After I installed the scope I realized my thumb was going to have a challenge pulling the hammer back. I checked into a couple of different styles and decided on the Grovtec extension. I ordered it from the Henry Store before it closed for CV-19. It is a very nice fit, I will not have a problem with access to the hammer now. A simple little accessory that makes a big difference ;)
Attachments
Henry Hammer Extension.jpg
Henry Hammer Extension.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
0 x
Jeff