Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Semi Buckhorn sights in low light condition

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Semi Buckhorn sights in low light condition

Post by GFK » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:49 pm

First, welcome. I have a H009, and I wanted to do a similar thing (shoot fairly accurately out to 100 yards using an open sight). I have settled for a Cloverleaf Receiver Peep Sight with fiber optic from Ranger Point Precision. So far, I have zeroed it at 25 yards. But, I am happy thus far. The thing I noticed is that the optic helps with aligning the front sight in sun light, and the clover helps aligning the front sight in artificial light (light bulb). I suspect that it will do fairly well in low light also.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:32 pm

I have a strong respect for folks who can shoot small groups, off hand, at 100 yards .... given perfect conditions, I have and would again take a 25 or possibly 50 yard shot at deer standing broadside .... at a hundred, I'd be hard pressed to pull the trigger .... for me the possibility of a not lethal hit would just be too great
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:42 pm

sewells1951 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Or maybe I'm chasing a pipedream here. Basically, shooting Remington Core Lockt 150 grain .30 30 ammo I'm putting 5 shots within say a 7 inch square at 100 yards with iron sights. Maybe that's about as good as I can get unless I'm using some sort of gun rest that keeps things more stable.
Certainly nothing to be ashamed about in fact I would say probably better than 90% of people can do off hand regardless of if they are using a scope or open sights.
I shoot as well if not better using open sights offhand than I do with a scope. Shooting off hand the accuracy limiting factor is not the sights but how well I can hold. My hold is the same with both but with open sights the wobble isnt as noticeable so I squeeze the trigger. With a scope and the noticeable wobble it shows up I find I have a tendency to start snatching at the trigger when everything thing looks good and it actually leads to worse results.

To put things in perspective with a accurate scoped rifle off the bench I have no trouble shooting 1/4-1/2" groups at 100y if I can shoot a 6" group with the same rifle off hand I am happy.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:10 pm

220 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:42 pm
To put things in perspective with a accurate scoped rifle off the bench I have no trouble shooting 1/4-1/2" groups at 100y if I can shoot a 6" group with the same rifle off hand I am happy.
I was thinking something similar. Isn't a 6" area considered the sweet spot of a deer?
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:45 pm

One of who knows how many commentaries on a deer's "sweet spot."
The Kill Zone of North American Big Game Animals
By Chuck Hawks

How big a target is the heart/lung area of common male big game animals? That is a good thing to know if you are a hunter. The heart/lung that should be your target is irregularly shaped in three dimensions, of course, but for hunting purposes can be expressed as a circle within which you must be able to put your bullet to insure a clean kill on an animal standing more or less broadside to your shooting position.

For example, an average whitetail deer weighing about 125 pounds, viewed broadside, has a heart/lung area generally estimated give you a circle of around 10" in diameter at which to shoot. If you can keep your bullet in a 10" diameter circle from a field position and you aim just behind the foreleg and about 1/2 of the way up from his brisket (or 1/2 of the way down from the top of his back), which basically marks the center of his heart/lung area, your bullet should find the animal's vitals.
~I was thinking something similar. Isn't a 6" area considered the sweet spot of a deer?
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:49 pm

GFK wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:10 pm
220 wrote:
I was thinking something similar. Isn't a 6" area considered the sweet spot of a deer?
I would think, most certainly!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Inquiring minds want to know:

This may not be to scale, something I got for practice. But, it does offer an idea. My 6" sweet spot may be a little small. The sweet spot may be closer to 8"-10". Yet, I may have been thinking that I am all good if I shoot within 6",which I can do with a scope (the bottom one is 6" x 5", adjusted aim after first shot). I am waiting for it to get warmer to see what I can do with open sights (@ 100 yards). However, I did make it out to the woods once so far (only seen one as I was parking). If God is willing, I may get out again before the season end.
SweetSpot.JPG
SweetSpot.JPG (175.68 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
KillZone-100yds.jpg
KillZone-100yds.jpg (109.63 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Early on in this Forum, there was a good discussion thread titled "Shooting With Iron Sights." The OP, Ditto1958, introduced it with some interesting commentary. The thread then took off with others' good input.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=269

PT7

sewells1951 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:25 pm
I really want to keep the iron sights because I think they allow me to acquire a target faster than I could do with putting on a low power scope. I also like the idea of the semi buckhorn being something that, with experience, I will learn to adjust elevation by feel for shooting various distances....So, I'd really like to learn to use the sights that came with the rifle the right way.
1 x

~Пока~

sewells1951
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by sewells1951 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 am

220 wrote:
sewells1951 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Or maybe I'm chasing a pipedream here. Basically, shooting Remington Core Lockt 150 grain .30 30 ammo I'm putting 5 shots within say a 7 inch square at 100 yards with iron sights. Maybe that's about as good as I can get unless I'm using some sort of gun rest that keeps things more stable.
Certainly nothing to be ashamed about in fact I would say probably better than 90% of people can do off hand regardless of if they are using a scope or open sights.
I shoot as well if not better using open sights offhand than I do with a scope. Shooting off hand the accuracy limiting factor is not the sights but how well I can hold. My hold is the same with both but with open sights the wobble isnt as noticeable so I squeeze the trigger. With a scope and the noticeable wobble it shows up I find I have a tendency to start snatching at the trigger when everything thing looks good and it actually leads to worse results.

Don't want to give the wrong impression here. I'm at a public shooting complex and shooting off a bench. Far from off hand shooting. Off hand shooting is for after I learn how to do it with a platform upon which I can stablize myself. So far, I do good to hit a 12" x12" target at all when I've tried shooting off hand.
0 x

sewells1951
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by sewells1951 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:19 am

PT7 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:58 pm
Early on in this Forum, there was a good discussion thread titled "Shooting With Iron Sights." The OP, Ditto1958, introduced it with some interesting commentary. The thread then took off with others' good input.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=269

PT7

sewells1951 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:25 pm
I really want to keep the iron sights because I think they allow me to acquire a target faster than I could do with putting on a low power scope. I also like the idea of the semi buckhorn being something that, with experience, I will learn to adjust elevation by feel for shooting various distances....So, I'd really like to learn to use the sights that came with the rifle the right way.
Thanks very, very much for that link. Good info there. THis bit "2. Use the sights correctly. Here's the thing: the rear sight, front sight and target are not all supposed to be in focus at the same time. I'll repeat that, because it's the key to the whole thing: the rear sight, front sight and target are not all supposed to be in focus at the same time." is fine by me. I understand that. My problem is I can't get focus on the front sight in low light. I'm going to try the suggestion another poster made and paint that little white pip with some flourescent nail polish and see if that helps.

That is a great link!

The correct way to do it is to focus on the front sight. The rear sight should then be out of focus. The target, will not be in perfect focus. Depending on it's distance and the lighting where you are shooting, this will vary. On a sunny day, the target may actually look acceptably in focus. On a cloudy day, not so much.
1 x