Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ordered a cheap scope

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Ordered a cheap scope

Post by ditto1958 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:58 am

Hmmm... I have a Marlin bolt action .22 that seems to have been put here on earth to make me do stupid things. I bought it by mistake on GunBroker. Seriously, I bid on the wrong item. I asked the seller if he’d get my bid canceled or relist the gun, but he didn’t. I was the only bidder, and soon owned a nice new old stock JM Marlin (pre-Remington) from 2005.

A friend at the range had a new Vortex scope he didn’t want. It came on a new rifle he bought, but he wanted a more powerful scope. So, since throwing good money after bad is always a good idea, I bought it from him for cheap. I was never thrilled with the scope (or the rifle, for that matter), but it worked okay. Until the other day when my friend decided he wanted it back. :shock: So... naturally, I sold it to back to him at a loss. I did get to use it for over a year.

Now I’m without a scope for the rifle. I went online, and looked around for a bit... and found a Weaver-Kaspa 3-9x40 scope for about $35. With tax and shipping it’s about $45. Hmmm...

About 5 years ago, an LGS I used to frequent was selling those scopes for $99.99. They are a good store, and said back then that it was a good deal at that price.

So, we shall see. Hopefully this lunacy ends soon...
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Ordered a cheap scope

Post by TMB » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:07 am

That's a good price for that scope. I've seen them for any where from $117 to $90 new.
The first gun I ever owned is a Glenfield by Marlin bolt action .22. I still have it after 49 years. It still shoots where I point it. It came with a Glenfield 4x15 scope which I have replaced twice. It always seems to get put back on because for plinking it works.
1 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:52 am

looking forward to seeing how well the new scope performs
0 x

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 am

My boys wanted a scope for a Marlin model 60 I have. I found a new Simmons 3-9x32 22mag scope online. It was listed as an open box without rings.
I paid $20 for it. It turned out to be a very good scope. Nice and clear with lots of adjust-ability. My boys were very happy with it and it's still on the rifle.
1 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Ok now, I've mentioned here a couple times that I scoped my Henry BB steel .45 Colt. It's a cheap one; a Tasco "World Class" 1.5-4.5x32. It's light, clear as a bell and not over burdening on my rifle. Price was $48.00 from Amazon. I'll be trying it out next week after this pesky rain moves out. Sometimes these inexpensive scopes just work. Modern technology I suppose.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 pm

Lyman wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 am
My boys wanted a scope for a Marlin model 60 I have. I found a new Simmons 3-9x32 22mag scope online. It was listed as an open box without rings. I paid $20 for it. It turned out to be a very good scope. Nice and clear with lots of adjust-ability. My boys were very happy with it and it's still on the rifle.

congrats on finding and making such a good buy .... I hear of such deals but can't say I've ever happened onto one
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:46 am

For sure Optics are a product that benefit from modern technology. What today passes as mid price products rivals the best at any price from, say, 40 years ago. I'm not sure my vision is good enough to even see the difference on today's high end stuff. And I spent 7 years of my mis-spent youth peering through theodolites made in Switzerland by Wild ;) .
1 x