Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope ring lapping

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Scope ring lapping

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:50 pm

The lapping procedure is not real difficult, or time consuming. It's worth it to just get the wheeler kit as to make it easy.
Need a good support sled, clamps or whatever, to hold your rifle. Once everything is sighted, as close as you can get it, then, remove scope and lap. Biggest reason for lapping is to prevent any deformation of the scope tube. Scope can be mounted without lapping, however, the process insures that everything is sitting comfortably with no damage or movement.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:02 am

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:50 pm
The lapping procedure is not real difficult, or time consuming. It's worth it to just get the wheeler kit as to make it easy.
Need a good support sled, clamps or whatever, to hold your rifle. Once everything is sighted, as close as you can get it, then, remove scope and lap. Biggest reason for lapping is to prevent any deformation of the scope tube. Scope can be mounted without lapping, however, the process insures that everything is sitting comfortably with no damage or movement.
It is interesting how many scope mounting tutorial videos there are where they never mention lapping or mounting torque.
0 x
Jeff

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:20 am

This is true Stray Cat, however if one wants to be truly anal, and I confess that I usually lean that way,😏 It is the proper way to do it. I bought the BBS 357, then added the Talley, one piece, scope mount to avoid the process. So I don't own the kit, however, if I were to purchase separate parts, ie: scope rail and two piece ring set up, then I would take the time to lap.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am

I used to lap before discovering Warne rings. No need to lap with them.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:40 am

Did you get the chance to make up and try out your lapping bar?
No I did not - yet.

Other priorities got in the way.

While I believe ring lapping is beneficial it was not a cause of the problem I was dealing with the Ruger PCC issue I was experiencing so I did not pursue it at the time.

Largely in part if the scope tube 'seats' in the bottom rings with little to no binding and the top rings the same there will probably be no issues. I have never had a problem with any scope I have ever mounted however like I said I do see lapping as beneficial as a nice, smooth fit of the scope in the rings is another advantage to accuracy.

If you have a kit however I would go for it and let us know how it works out for you.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:57 am

The two pointed bars in the kit, when mounted, show what adjustments are needed to assure that both the front and rear rings are in perfect alignment with each other. Important to do to avoid scope tube damage and improve accuracy.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:22 pm

With the rings I've bought so far I haven't seen the need to lap. When I mount a scope the ring screws and mount bolts all start out semi-loose. I gradually tighten each in rotation so that the mount and rings settle into position with the least amount of binding. Latest rings have been the Vortex tactical.
Last edited by Mags on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:27 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am
I used to lap before discovering Warne rings. No need to lap with them.
+1 on Jake's comments on Warne products. Very "true" when it comes to alignment and security. Have had great experiences with Leupold rings, too.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:53 pm

When I mounted my Leupold on my Thompson muzzleloader, I didn't torque the base screws or the clamp screws on the dove tail rings.
My group is 2" @ 100 yards. I've been wondering if I reset the scope using the alignment, lap (if needed) and torque the screws if I might
see an improvement. Then again it is a muzzleloader, not exactly a precision load on each shot.
0 x
Jeff

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Stray Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:53 pm
When I mounted my Leupold on my Thompson muzzleloader, I didn't torque the base screws or the clamp screws on the dove tail rings.
My group is 2" @ 100 yards. I've been wondering if I reset the scope using the alignment, lap (if needed) and torque the screws if I might
see an improvement. Then again it is a muzzleloader, not exactly a precision load on each shot.
Stray Cat; if I had 2" groups at 100 yards with ANY of my firearms, I would be thrilled, and not change a thing!
Especially with a muzzle loader. :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry