Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New AW 357. Need sight advice.

comiskeybum
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: New AW 357. Need sight advice.

Post by comiskeybum » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Thank you for the replies thus far.

I will look into the two scopes mentioned, it sounded like the price was right. I hope there is a stainless or silver finish available for whatever I find as I want to keep the overall "all-weather" look of the rifle.

I have recently experimented, with only 50 rounds, shooting my AR-15 left-handed while using my EoTech. The results were pretty decent, I did notice that I was able to acquire and get that first shot off faster than when shooting with my weak right eye. However, the EoTech also makes shooting right-handed as realistic for me as possible, so I will continue to experiment with that and bring the Henry into that experiment as well.

When I am shooting pistols I simply do what my class instructor showed me a few years ago. I bring the pistol across my chest and then into alignment with my left shoulder before extending my arms to acquire my sight picture. This has proven to work well for me and he has given that same advice to many people in his classes. This is also why I have leaned toward the idea of shooting rifles left-handed. But further experimentation is needed.

Right now I am thinking about barrel mounted Hi-Viz fiber optics in combination with a scope.

For someone with limited rifle experience, how easy would it be for me to mount a new scope after purchase? I have never replaced sights or anything myself so doing anything like that would be new to me. There are one or two gun stores here locally that seem to advertise buying sights from them and they will gladly mount them for you, I wonder if they would do the same for scopes.

Thanks!
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Just about any retailer of scopes will mount them for you, and the big box guys (and others, I'm sure) will even sight them in for you (+/-), so it's worth shopping around.

Amazon, SportOptics.com and a couple other big web retailers are great places to do basic research, see what finishes are available in what models, read reviews, etc.

Stainless type finishes are out there, but it may take some hunting.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 pm

0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

comiskeybum
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by comiskeybum » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Looks like stainless/nicket scopes are hard to find and more expensive. I could buy a used one on eBay but honestly I would prefer a new piece of glass on my brand new rifle. This picture makes me feel better about putting a black scope on rifle as the one pictured looks great.

I really like the Brass Stacker and the price is reasonable. Looks like they ship with everything you need to mount that, so that'll be easy. The charcoal black leather should go nicely with the black American Walnut on the rifle.
bigboy.jpg
bigboy.jpg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:52 am

Figured you'd find something there to your liking! 😁
comiskeybum wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:57 pm
... I really like the Brass Stacker and the price is reasonable. Looks like they ship with everything you need to mount that, so that'll be easy. The charcoal black leather should go nicely with the black American Walnut on the rifle.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

TN Mark
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TN Mark » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:50 am

Welcome from Chattanooga, TN. The AW 357 is my latest Hery and, well, I simply love it. I added the large loop to it right away. So far I've only shot Federal 357 Magnum JSP that I buy at WalMart. I too had a very difficult time seeing the oem sights. I bought the Hi Viz sights from my local gun store and they mounted and adjusted them for me. They're a lot better than the oem sights but they aren't my final solution with sights. I too am looking for the right scope option. And yes, the charcoal black Brass Stacker sling would look great on the great looking AW.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:59 am

Sounds like a holographic or red dot sight might be the compromise to let you shoot left or right handed and for the kids to use.
Nearly all my levers wear 2-7 or 3-9 rimfire scopes, the shorter parallax setting of rimfire scopes is perfect for a shorter range lever gun. They are usually a bit smaller than a standard scope and have a smaller 32mm objective.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:17 am

how easy would it be for me to mount a new scope after purchase?
Very easy.
It is a basic part of rifle ownership one needs to be able to accomplish.
What if you need to make an adjustment while on the range such as reticle level or eye relief?
Iron sights are a little more difficult to R & R but still a basic operation a rifle owner should know how to do.
Kind of like changing your vehicle oil or a flat tire.
If you can use a screw driver or an Allen wrench you can mount or replace a scope.
0 x

comiskeybum
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by comiskeybum » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks everyone. The brass stacker is ordered with a lead time of a couple of weeks. Sounds like I will be going with a vortex 1-4x24 for my scope. Local store stocks them and will bore sight for me. That will be a christmas gift so we're a few monhs away from that.

For now, I will get the sling and practice shooting with the OEM sights.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:25 am

I expect you'll be happy with your Brass Stacker sling. I'm very pleased with mine! If you do have an issue, call them. Their customer service is as good as HenryUSA.
comiskeybum wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:00 pm
Thanks everyone. The brass stacker is ordered with a lead time of a couple of weeks. Sounds like I will be going with a vortex 1-4x24 for my scope. Local store stocks them and will bore sight for me. That will be a christmas gift so we're a few monhs away from that.

For now, I will get the sling and practice shooting with the OEM sights.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234