Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope Swaps

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Scope Swaps

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Another 'wild card' with this is the Leupold I was using was recently on a .223 rifle and shooting cloverleaf groups at 50 yards.

I am thinking (reluctantly) it is in fact the scope mounts shifting as the problem.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Sure hope you get it figured out. These kind of things truly are what I call shooting headaches. Oh, I don't mind having to do a tweak, now and then, but when a stubborn problem with one gun cuts into my shooting time with my favorite guns, I tend to lose patience, fast. Best of luck to you.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:48 pm

but when a stubborn problem with one gun cuts into my shooting time with my favorite guns, I tend to lose patience, fast.
Yes - I understand and I am getting there fast with this issue!
I have never had this much trouble with a scope on ANY rifle I have ever owned.
I am hoping it is the mount issue IE the Weaver on a rail debacle.
A friend thinks he has a set of 1" Picatinny rail mounts I am going to borrow to try this out one more time...
2 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Many years ago I had a similar problem after mounting a new scope on a Win. Model 100 .284. After shooting the better part of a box of ammo, I finally figured out that the scope BASE had worked loose. The rings and scope were fine, but that slight looseness of the base flung shots all over the target. It was barely detectable by feel, though.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:12 pm

OK - the Leupold is BACK on the rifle it came off of - for a 'test run' Friday afternoon!
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Well, with the scope rings Wingnut loaned me I put the scope back on and got BETTER results - but still some inconsistency.
The attached target shows two 5 shot groups I shot this morning. The circled shots are one set of five aiming (rested) on the center of the dot, and the uncircled shots are a 2nd set of five aiming at the bottom of the dot at the top of the black vertical line.
As you can see a fairly tight group of three, then a couple flyers - with similar results on the others.
Both were shot without any scope adjustments as I was just wanting to see group results.
I am going to swap the Leupold with a nearly new Nikon I have and see if anything changes.
img20190728_11272287.jpg
img20190728_11272287.jpg (96.64 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:47 pm

Admire your patience. Yeah, scopes can go bad. Pretty rare on the good stuff, but it has happened to me. Only to check is do a scope swap. Best of luck.
0 x