Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Red/Green Dot Input Please!

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Red/Green Dot Input Please!

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Much to my chagrin I will not be able to install a receiver sight along with a typical post/bead front on my Ruger PCC without a lot of modification.
I thought I would like the stock sights and while not bad the barrel mounted peep is too far forward and I am experiencing inconsistency in being able to maintain the front blade on target.
Anyway I am thinking of a 'Dot' style sight and have been doing my research.
I have cleared up the MOA dot size (which was my first questions about them) and realize I would want one with no larger than a 3 MOA dot size.
My uses will be informal target/field shooting with a possible coyote or jack rabbit if one crosses my path.
So for anyone who is experienced with them I would appreciate some input. Things like ability/ease of staying on target, ability to maintain a sight picture and mostly improvements in accuracy (or lack thereof) after using one.
Thanks.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Red/Green Dot Input Please!

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Where to begin? I'll try, though.

Don't be in a hurry to limit your dot size to only 3 MOA or less. There's a lot more to it than just accuracy potential. What distances will you be shooting and what size targets? How fast do you need to get on target? Will you be shooting at a nice plain background for paper punching or will you be shooting against a heavily forested and brush filled background? These are all factors to consider when it comes to dot MOA. Moreover, you can shoot a lager dot very accurately by using the top of the dot as your aiming point, rather than covering the target and using the center of the dot.

The tiny 2 and 3 MOA dots are all the rage, these days. Everyone thinks the smaller the dot, the greater the precision. That's true with a gun at rest, against a background where the dot can easily be spotted. Keep in mind, though, that the smaller the dot, the more the apparent motion, meaning the more it appears to wiggle. The smaller the dot, the slower it is to acquire and get on target. In our heavily forested, dark woods, that tiny 2 MOA dot disappears way too easy. A larger dot is definitely easier to see. In short, a larger dot is easier to use, so don't go overboard going too small.

I've been using the standard Ultradot 25 (1" tube) red dot with a 4 MOA for years, both for field shooting and target work. It's still my bread and butter, go to red dot for any kind of gun. It's as magnum proof as a red dot can get. Have never had one fail, yet, and I'm talking over a dozen of these things.

Next is your choice of tube style dots like the Ultradot or the reflex style/TV screen like the Burris Fastfire. I use both. I personally find it easier and faster to acquire the dot with the traditional tube style. The advantage of the Burris, which I like, is its tiny size and very light weight. Still prefer tube style red dots. That's me, though. Some prefer the reflex style.

For the fastest acquisition, I like 30mm tube dots like the Ultradot 30. You're getting a bit bulky with these, but that won't be an issue on a rifle.

A great option is to get a red dot that offers a variety of dot size and reticle options. For instance, my husband does not like a plain dot as his aiming point. On the other hand, he loves the option of getting a red crosshair on our Bushnell Trophy 1x28. About the only thing he likes to use.

You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good red dot, but that doesn't mean all inexpensive red dots are equal. Far from it. A lot of these have heavily tinted screens in order to make the dot visible. That's fine on a brightly lit target range, but in the woods it's like looking out a window covered with a screen or curtain. If money is an issue, I highly recommend the Bushnell TRS-25. Great red dot for the money. Good adjustments, both for brightness and windage/elevation and a good quality screen. Has your 3 MOA dot size, too.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:45 pm

What distances will you be shooting and what size targets?
100 yards +/- or less
How fast do you need to get on target?
Not lightning quick - maybe a bolting 'jack or 'yote speed!
Will you be shooting at a nice plain background for paper punching or will you be shooting against a heavily forested and brush filled background?
A little paper punching - mostly to sight in , moderate to sparse woods - and some open areas - such as shown in my recent post 'good day shooting'

I really like the idea of the crosshair on the Bushnell you have. I see it IS discontinued but still available. Can you describe the crosshair? Is it encircled or just an ' + ' .
Moreover, you can shoot a lager dot very accurately by using the top of the dot as your aiming point, rather than covering the target and using the center of the dot.
I would sight the dot in at 'Six O'Clock' as I do a normal bead so this sounds like it will be a similar sight picture.
I personally find it easier and faster to acquire the dot with the traditional tube style.
I have already decided it WILL be a tube style.

Thanks for the input! It is a BIG help!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:24 pm

You're welcome. Yes, just a standard crosshair on the Bushnell 1x28. Gets you a choice dot sizes, too. Grab one if you can get it at a good price.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Grab one if you can get it at a good price.
Found one for $79

So how is clarity in general ? easy to see through through?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 pm

Clarity is good. Very good red dot for the money. Have a couple.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:41 pm

OP-

2 things to think about...

Red dots on red bull's eyes is a no-go. Red or orange bulls will washout the dot. Not many people shoot at green targets.

Generally, must use both eyes open with dot sights. At 1x, field-of-view & target acquisition is too restricted if not. Remember, the dot is always the point of impact (within reason).
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:10 pm

I have Aimpoint Vortex Primary Arms and Bushnell. Agree with NCG if you dont mind the dot the TRS 25 is a good sight for the money. But I havent ever used a sight with the illuminated crosshairs. May need to try one out myself just to see what I think. Let us know how you like it Ed if you order one.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:00 am

Mistered wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:42 pm
Grab one if you can get it at a good price.
Found one for $79

So how is clarity in general ? easy to see through through?
If you’re talking about the TRS 25, I saw them on Amazon for $56 last night.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks, but this is a different model in the Trophy series. It's the Trophy 1x28. Larger red dot with more features.
0 x