Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marbles Bullseye

servant824
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Marbles Bullseye

Post by servant824 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:51 am

I fitted the short version of this sight to my BBS in .44 mag. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18281 ... eight-blue
I needed a barrel sight because I am far sighted and a close up peep is useless to me. The visibility was very good to me but the original front sight was too high. But I put about 20 shots into about a 3 inch circle at 45 yards. Tried another height Marbles bead front sight that I already had and that was to short. Dont know if I'll stick with something like this or a Skinner. Or even a low power optic.
Any body try this sight?
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Marbles Bullseye

Post by ESquared » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am

Since the Marbles sight in the link is adjustable for elevation, it seems like one or the other of those front sights would work, following the F.O.R.S. (Front - Opposite, Rear - Same) formula. When you say the first front sight was "too high," do you mean your POI was high vs. your POA? And the same for the rear that was too low? Were the shots landing low vs. you point of aim?

If the latter it true, and your Marbles is bottomed out in its lowest position, you ought to be able to simply raise the rear/Marbles sight to get to where you want to be.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am

Question: when using the receiver peep or even the barrel peep, are you trying to center the front sight in the peep circle? If you are, there's a better way to use a peep.

Okay, that said, a red dot or a low power variable scope will still be easier to use than a peep, especially a peep out on the barrel. A red dot will give you better sight visibility and a low power scope will give you better sight visibility and target visibility. Not everyone wants to put an optical sight on a traditional gun like lever gun and I get that, but an optical sight solves a lot of sighting headaches. My two cents, for what it's worth.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45 am

North Country Gal wrote:Question: when using the receiver peep or even the barrel peep, are you trying to center the front sight in the peep circle? If you are, there's a better way to use a peep.
Assume you mean more of a "6:00 hold" (or some variant) so the front bead doesn't cover everything up?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am

Should have been a bit clearer. Sorry.

No, I mean a common mistake when shooting a peep is to try to center the front sight and target in the peep circle, trying to use a peep sight like an open rear sight. That really defeats the the purpose of the peep.

Where you put that front sight relative to the target is your call, but most people will shoot a round bull with more accuracy with a six o'clock hold.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Yep, same page.
0 x

servant824
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by servant824 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:14 pm

ESquared wrote:Since the Marbles sight in the link is adjustable for elevation, it seems like one or the other of those front sights would work, following the F.O.R.S. (Front - Opposite, Rear - Same) formula. When you say the first front sight was "too high," do you mean your POI was high vs. your POA? And the same for the rear that was too low? Were the shots landing low vs. you point of aim?

If the latter it true, and your Marbles is bottomed out in its lowest position, you ought to be able to simply raise the rear/Marbles sight to get to where you want to be.
I had the original front post on the rifle and had the barrel sight to the max elevation and impact was still low. And yes I was centering the bead in the peep. The other front sight was shorter and I had the Marbles adjusted all the way down and impact was still high. S o to use that sight I would have to purchase the Marbles front sight that falls between the 2 in size. Im sure that would work. But I do have a Nikon 1.5 x4 on a inline muzzleloader I don't really use. It might be the perfect ticket.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:32 pm

A Nikon 1.5-4x would certainly make things a LOT simpler.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:46 pm

What NCG said. For whatever it's worth, a while back I shot a friends Ruger 9mm SA carbine, which has a similar barrel mounted peep, and was surprised how well I shot it at a 50 yard pistol target. So that barrel mounted peep could work for me, but I'm a low powered variable scope kind of guy ;) .
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Any body try this sight?
I have really been wanting to try one - specifically on my 1899 Winchester.
My only options for it are a better Buckhorn (and not wanting one) or a tang sight as it is not drilled and tapped for any kind of receiver sight.
I really like the barrel mounted peep on my Ruger PCC and am thinking the Marble's Bullseye might be similar.
It is not particularly 'period correct' but I can live with this if it proves to be accurate with it!
0 x