Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

“Old eyes” rant 2019

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: “Old eyes” rant 2019

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 am

[/quote] What's your opinion on eye patches? I use one and find it helpful.[/quote]

I used them for formal target shooting at the range and they work great. I don't use then, now, though, because a patch cuts down on my peripheral vision more than I like. Not a big deal when we're out at the range mostly by ourselves, but, from experience, makes me very uncomfortable when there's folks shooting on both sides of me, especially if they are folks I don't know. Too many spooky experiences with people who have less than good safety habits.
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:27 am

I find it very difficult to shoot with normal post & notch or buckhorn sights, but I do OK with ghost ring/aperture sights. My Henry's both wear Skinner sights, and it's nice to be able to shoot without the fear of the zero being off etc.

Me being 'off' is something else, though! :oops:
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:06 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
What's your opinion on eye patches? I use one and find it helpful.[/quote]

I used them for formal target shooting at the range and they work great. I don't use then, now, though, because a patch cuts down on my peripheral vision more than I like. Not a big deal when we're out at the range mostly by ourselves, but, from experience, makes me very uncomfortable when there's folks shooting on both sides of me, especially if they are folks I don't know. Too many spooky experiences with people who have less than good safety habits.[/quote]

Appreciate your comment. :)

There is that. The only time I use one is for sighting in, or some target practice/hunting on my property. I don't patronize public ranges - no need to, and haven't shot competition in decades.

And I don't use it with pistol SD practice, since I wouldn't have it on for any real deal confrontation (train like you fight, and fight like you train) :) .
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Actually, I'm a fan of both eyes open sighting, if you can do it.

I close one eye, then open it slowly until I reach a point where going any further gives me double vision.

I find I am more accurate with both eyes open, or nearly both open..

Edited to add, this is with handguns only. Of course, all my rifles have scopes, so......
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:20 pm

F3FB0534-8E85-423C-A5A1-324C195C62AF.jpeg
F3FB0534-8E85-423C-A5A1-324C195C62AF.jpeg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Squint like Clint
2 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:25 pm

:lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:47 pm

Les wrote:I find it very difficult to shoot with normal post & notch or buckhorn sights, but I do OK with ghost ring/aperture sights. My Henry's both wear Skinner sights, and it's nice to be able to shoot without the fear of the zero being off etc.

Me being 'off' is something else, though! :oops:
Peep/aperture/ghost ring sights are probably the easiest irons to shoot well with. Semi-buckhorn sights seem to give a lot of shooters fits. Not sure why.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:48 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to say that. Well put!
North Country Gal wrote:Mark, in a sense that's true. Using optics makes everything appear in the same plane of sight. Everything, near and far, appears to be the equally sharp, so your eyes don't have to strain to focus back and forth between close and distant objects. That does reduce eye fatigue.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234