Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope mounting

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Scope mounting

Post by markiver54 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:59 am

Because of old eyes, I decided to scope my BB steel 357. I do not shoot a LOT as compared to most, at least not a lot of repeated shooting. I purchased a Weaver 1-3 x 20.Then, from Henry, I got the Talley fixed mount. looks to me like a good set-up. Have yet to mount it. Maybe I'm too anal about it but here is my frustration; have done a LOT of research for opinions on the use of Loctite and know not to use much. the opinions I've seen are all over the place. Some say purple, some say blue, some say none at all. Some say just on the base, not the rings. Henry tech. support said blue. Because I have yet to try the set-up, would like some suggestions to finally make a decision. BTW I did also purchase the Wheeler torque driver.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Scope mounting

Post by ESquared » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:35 pm

I use BLUE on my handgun and rifle jobs, from scope mounts to rings to pistol grips.

And, a free tip: put a little on the screw that holds your rear butt-stock in place (through the tang). It has a way of wiggling loose (at least mine does)!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:16 pm

I use blue, on both the ring and base screws, but be sure to degrease, first. (Ordinary rubbing alcohol is fine.) Use the blue sparingly, though. Too much can leave a residue under the base that can be a real hassle to clean up.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks for the responses! I guess blue it is. Most have said blue. Before I found this great forum I was surfing some others. A few said that if you use blue and ever want to remove the screws that a wire brush will clean the threads, however nobody mentioned what might be left in the receiver holes. Don't want to beat this simple subject to death. I've just never used an optic.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Purple has worked for us on rifles with light recoil .... with heavy recoil we have had to go to using Blue
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:39 pm

blue on base screws. nothing on ring screws. i use a torch driver. i generally don't clean old blue out of the holes.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 am

Thank you, very interesting views. Think I might go with Mags suggestion. Parts are coming tomorrow. will follow up with final installation FWIW. 357 recoil is not much though...scratching my head. Not rocket science I guess, interesting none the less.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry