Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Carbines with barrel peep

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Carbines with barrel peep

Post by Redthies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:50 am

Anybody with a carbine that has put Skinners barrel mounted peep in place of the buck horn care to comment on how they like it? I know it’s been done a bunch of times, but I can’t seem to find anything in the way of a range report. I love the receiver mount on my SGC but if I buy the Express and a round dovetail filler for my BBS it is almost triple the cost of a barrel mount Skinner. I’m curious on how the sight picture and accuracy is with such a short distance between. I would assume it’s fine, but you know what they say about assumptions!

Bonus points if you could post a pic of the barrel mounted peep on your BBS carbine...
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Carbines with barrel peep

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:15 am

Have used the Skinner barrel mount on many guns that didn't have a receiver mount option. Have had no complaints about the barrel mount, though there are a couple of things you need to do to use them, successfully. First and foremost is to NOT try to center the front sight in the aperture of the barrel mount peep. You need to use the barrel mount peep same as you use a receiver mount peep - look through the barrel mount peep aperture and concentrate 100% on the front sight. This may take a little effort to learn, at first because that peep is so far out on the barrel, but it becomes second nature, quickly, with a little practice.

The other issue, especially for hunting is to not go too narrow on the aperture. Skinner ships it with their widest .125 aperture and that's fine for target work in good light, but a lot of folks I know just go ghost ring (removing the aperture, altogether and looking through the open ring) for hunting. Makes for a good, fast handling sight setup that way.

To be honest, I still prefer a receiver sight when possible. Still easier to use in my book. Not sure what other options will fit the Henry, but the Lo Pro is very affordable.Windage adjustment is via the front sight, but if you'll only be using one basic load, still a practical sight setup. Even the basic receiver sight costs a bit more than the barrel mount, though, I'd consider paying a bit more. Hopefully, our Henry owners will chime in, here, and help with what fits on their Henrys.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 am

I'm very much far sighted. Even with glasses I can't see things that are too close to my face. A receiver mounted sight was too close for me to use. Completely fuzzed out useless. Even the front sight was out of focus when targeting down range. For me had to get a scope.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

NCG- good point on windage adjustments on the Lo Pro. The best results would be with a receiver like the Express and a taller front, but that’s going to be $150 +/- with a dovetail filler. Pricey for sure. I’m not afraid of paying for things, but it’s hard to spend on something you’re not sure will work for you!
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:20 pm

The first .357 magnum Henry I had, which is gone now, was a BBB 20" octagon barrel model. The pics I'm posting below of this rifle & peep really don't look any different for a 20" model or 16.5" Carbine model. Also here is one of the Range Reports I posted in April 2016 when I shot this BB using the peep sight. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=463 I liked it a lot, and it really worked well; easy to quickly grab the sight picture, and quite accurate.

I'll make this comment though. My current two Henrys both have receiver-mounted peep sights. The shorter distance from peep to eye does make a difference....easier to get a good sight picture, and I'd say some accuracy improvement. Either way would be a good way to mount a peep sight. Yes, the cost factor does come into play for sure.

Best on making your decision which mount style to use. Both are darn good. I really like using iron sights, so that's a plus for me.
PT7
Bronze Glow1_DSCN1233.jpg
Bronze Glow1_DSCN1233.jpg (128.92 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Bronze Glow5_DSCN1238.jpg
Bronze Glow5_DSCN1238.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Bronze Glow7_DSCN1235.jpg
Bronze Glow7_DSCN1235.jpg (130.41 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Redthies wrote:Anybody with a carbine that has put Skinners barrel mounted peep in place of the buck horn care to comment on how they like it? I know it’s been done a bunch of times, but I can’t seem to find anything in the way of a range report. I love the receiver mount on my SGC but if I buy the Express and a round dovetail filler for my BBS it is almost triple the cost of a barrel mount Skinner. I’m curious on how the sight picture and accuracy is with such a short distance between. I would assume it’s fine, but you know what they say about assumptions!

Bonus points if you could post a pic of the barrel mounted peep on your BBS carbine...
1 x

~Пока~

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks PT7. It seems you and I are going to have the identical offerings from Henry. Great minds think alike? On your new .357 you did the Express and a front sight, or? Do you have pics of your current set up?
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 pm

All photos are posted in other threads, but these should give you exactly what I have on my BBS .357 Magnum Carbine.

~~Skinner Express receiver-mounted peep.
~~Skinner dovetail slot blank on barrel.
~~Stock Henry front brass bead sight.

For me and my elder eyes, a great iron sight setup! :)
PT7
Carbine and Express1_2482.jpg
Carbine and Express1_2482.jpg (191.5 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
DSCN2635.JPG
DSCN2635.JPG (123.29 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
DSCN2639.JPG
DSCN2639.JPG (261.69 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
Redthies wrote:Thanks PT7. It seems you and I are going to have the identical offerings from Henry. Great minds think alike? On your new .357 you did the Express and a front sight, or? Do you have pics of your current set up?
1 x

~Пока~

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 pm

I have a peep on the receiver of mine. Works well with these old eyes. :)
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Re: Carbines with barrel p

Post by Redthies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks PT. It’s hard finding the older photos without going through all the random threads. Good to hear your Express worked with your stock front. I’ve heard it’s 50/50 at best. My SGC needs a taller front, which Henry said would arrive in 7-10 days almost 3 weeks ago. On the note of front sights, yours came with a brass bead, yet I’ve heard a fibre optic one comes from the factory in a video review posted on Henry’s site, but the specs also say brass bead.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Carbines with barrel p

Post by PT7 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Yes, I heard the 50/50 number also, and it actually states that on the Skinner web site. I came really close on bottoming out the Express aperture when I did my install, but got it sighted in okay. I was in the correct 50 group! ;)

Also heard about the alternative fibre optic front sight. Bottom line, I'll be interested to hear how well you're able to finalize your BBS Carbine. I know it will work out okay, and just hope your costs stay low.

Best!
PT7
Redthies wrote:Thanks PT. It’s hard finding the older photos without going through all the random threads. Good to hear your Express worked with your stock front. I’ve heard it’s 50/50 at best. My SGC needs a taller front, which Henry said would arrive in 7-10 days almost 3 weeks ago. On the note of front sights, yours came with a brass bead, yet I’ve heard a fibre optic one comes from the factory in a video review posted on Henry’s site, but the specs also say brass bead.
0 x

~Пока~