Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Carbines with barrel peep

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Carbines with barrel peep

Post by Mistered » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:34 am

but if I buy the Express and a round dovetail filler for my BBS it is almost triple the cost of a barrel mount Skinner
Don't forget the $39.95 option of the Williams WGRS-336 mounted backwards on the Henry receiver with the windage slide simply flipped around. Works very well.
IMG_0954[1].JPG
IMG_0954[1].JPG (62.26 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:36 am

Mistered wrote:
but if I buy the Express and a round dovetail filler for my BBS it is almost triple the cost of a barrel mount Skinner
Don't forget the $39.95 option of the Williams WGRS-336 mounted backwards on the Henry receiver with the windage slide simply flipped around. Works very well.
IMG_0954[1].JPG
Williams needs to make their website a little (lot) better. It’s hard to find any info on their products unless you know what you want before you head there. I’ve gone on it twice to look for options for Henryrifles and they only show one item with no image. Not very helpful. What are you using for a front sight?
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:07 pm

I’ve gone on it twice to look for options for Henryrifles and they only show one item
That one item is all they have, and then just for the Henry SGC. They essentially have nothing else for Henry. The WGRS-336 you see in the picture on my BBB is intended for a Marlin 336 but works well on the Henry retrofitted as such.
What are you using for a front sight?
A .490 standard blade off of a Winchester.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 am

I was chatting with the folks at Rangerpoint Precision down Tejas way yesterday while ordering my dovetail filler and mentioned I ended up ordering a Skinner Express. He said “what, you didn’t order ours?”, which led to me checking out their sight offerings. They do a barrel mount which is similar to Skinners, and then their new “Cloverleaf” receiver mount. It is pretty darn cool, but the price tag (justified for sure) is a bit steeper than I’m willing to go. It has a pair of “wings” cast into the main mount that protect the aperture, which I really like the idea of. Maybe in a few months after the dust has settled on my latest spending spree I’ll get one for my 1895GS Marlin. It’s sights are horrible too. Even worse than the Henry buckhorn.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Rangerpoint Precision
I was checking their site out this morning and I am impressed with their sights - especially the barrel mounted 'peep' sight along with their unique front sights.
I think I have a new problem... (well not terrible anyway!)
After only two range trips with my new Ruger PCC I am essentially shooting it better than any of my levers.
Close for sure but last Sunday I was grouping with it on the average tighter than any of my Winchesters or Henry and and think I might know why.
The barre mounted rear peep on the Ruger is in much sharper focus due to it being a bit further from my right eye (the one I had surgery on) and the sight picture is much clearer.
So after all my years with receiver peeps should I look into going with a barrel peep on one of my rifles and see if anything changes?
Probably what i will do is take the rear off my Henry and work a temporary mount forward on the barrel and give that a try and see if anything changes.
While I am NOT dissatisfied with my shooting with the receiver mounts I find the sight acquisition with the Ruger MUCH faster due to the shorter distance and the clearer view.
I don't know yet and may have to give this a little more thought HOWEVER I think I will order their rear peep and front sight combo,
http://www.rangerpointstore.com/peep-si ... er-savage/
And install it on my 1899 Winchester as my only option for a peep with it is a tang sight since it is not drilled and tapped for a Williams.
Anyone with a BARREL mounted peep please jump in anytime!
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Just beginning to look at the Ranger Point sights, and what's initially pretty impressive is that they actually tell you which rear sight/front sight combo works with which Henry model. VERY helpful, unlike Skinner, which, as noted elsewhere, kind of gives you the "maybe it will, maybe it won't" story.
Really like the one Ed is pointing out above, but still not so sure about barrel mount vs. receiver mount. I like my Skinner back there closer to my eyeball...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:08 pm

a similar observation I made in another topic recently when we were going round about rear or barrel mounted peeps.
Mistered wrote:... The barrel mounted rear peep on the Ruger is in much sharper focus due to it being a bit further from my right eye (the one I had surgery on) and the sight picture is much clearer....
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234