Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Low Pro Installed - First Outing!

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Skinner Low Pro Installed - First Outing!

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:00 am

Mistered wrote:All this talk about globe fronts has got me to researching them and reading reviews about them - I just might have to give one a try - but need to decide which rifle to put it in for the 'acid test' !
Whichever ones have Skinners! If they all do, then maybe the one that is the most challenging at, say, 50 yards?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:40 am

No Skinners - all Williams' on my rifles - and one to soon have a Marble's tang sight
Attachments
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG (16.03 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:15 am

Very nice. You must like the Williams? Looks like that one has a nice elevation adjustment...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:31 am

Yea I prefer the sliding dovetail style elevation and windage adjustments of the Williams. One of the biggest bummers was the fact that Henry did not drill and tap their receivers for a side mount Williams sight - but then Williams did not proceed with making a sight for the Henry. I decided to live with the Williams WGRS-336 hanging over the back of the receiver until I stumbled on the fact the windage blade can be reversed on it and the sight mounted backwards therefore creating a 'proper' fit - I often wonder how many BB owners have had a 3rd hole drilled and tapped to eliminate it hanging over the rear of the receiver.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm

I put the Lyman globe on the front and cranked the Lo Pro as far down as possible yesterday (it was bottoming out against the bolt, but I still had thread-room at the top) and it was shooting about 4" high at 50 yds. This was the the Lyman 17A @ .404" high.

Today, had my gunsmith grind off a few threads, which allowed me to get the Lo Pro lower and it's getting there.

I say "getting there," because I've introduced another variable to all this, which is a set of Shaver inserts for the Lyman Globe, and I was swapping out 3-4 of those while getting the elevation adjusted. Too much going on, so I'll go back soon, now that I think I've found an insert that I like, and make sure I haven't over-compensated and set the Lo Pro too low.

Nothing worse than a too low Lo Pro, right?
0 x