Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big boy front sight

Jsickle
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Big boy front sight

Post by Jsickle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:09 pm

Finally made it out to the range with my 44mag Big Boy. Very windy so only shot at the 25yd range the thing shoot great.
I like the factory sighs but with my 62 year old eyes the front brass bead is hard to make out in the sunshine.
My question is:
Has anyone painted or put anything else on it to make it more visible
Thanks in advance
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Big boy front sight

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:45 pm

I found a fluorescent red fingernail polish that really comes alive in natural light. You say you like the factory sights and that's great but the stock Henry rear is one of the worst I have ever looked through. The thin blade is hard to adjust and the 'U' groove is too small. I enlarged mine to get by initially but swapped it out for a Winchester rear and ultimately a Williams which you might want to consider. Peep sights work very well with bead fronts.
0 x

North Star
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by North Star » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:41 pm

For a temporary fix to lighten the front bead... I was told the "White Out" works well.... Since computer age, White Out will be a little harder to find, but affective .
1 x

TN Mark
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TN Mark » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 pm

I had the oem sights on my 357 All Weather replaced today with Tru Glo. Red in front and green in the back. I'll try to get back to the range tomorrow to test them out. But from just looking at them, it's a night and day difference and looks to be a huge improvement.
1 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Seems to me that painting over the brass bead surface would detract from any light gathering ability the sight has. Why not just polish it up a bit?
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Why not just polish it up a bit?
Yep - a little toothpaste shines it up nicely.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Depends on the type of finger nail polish.
Bugs wrote:Seems to me that painting over the brass bead surface would detract from any light gathering ability the sight has. Why not just polish it up a bit?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:51 pm

True - some finger nail polish does not gather light very well at all and is detrimental to a better sight picture.
Its always best to paint a base coat of white on the sight before the main 'color' coat as it improves the light gathering ability of the topcoat.
The little bottles of 'Testors' model paint are better than fingernail polish but more expensive than fingernail polish which can be had for a buck at the dollar store but colors are somewhat limited. I found one that is not bad however - it's called ' LA Colors' (red # 95) and seems to work pretty well.
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:00 pm

I have a box of Testors. I think the price on their stickers says 0.25. I guess that make them really old.
Mistered wrote:
True - some finger nail polish does not reflect light very well at all is detrimental to a better sight picture.
Its always best to paint a base coat of white on the sight before the main 'color' coat as it improves the light reflectivity of the topcoat.
The little bottles of 'Testors' model paint are better than fingernail polish but more expensive than fingernail polish which can be had for a buck at the dollar store but colors are somewhat limited. I found one that is not bad however - it's called ' LA Colors' (red # 95) and seems to work pretty well.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:41 am

Mags wrote:.
I have a box of <colored dust>. I think the price on their stickers says 0.25. I guess that make them really old.
I fixed that for you Mags! :mrgreen:
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF