Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Peep Sight on Receiver

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Skinner Peep Sight on Receiver

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 pm

I use globe sights almost exclusively on my air rifles that are setup with iron sights, using either a peep or open sight for the rear sight. The interchangeable inserts give you all kinds of options for the front sight, everything from a blade, aperture and so on. You get just about any kind of front sight you want, just by changing the insert. The only issue with going with a globe front is that globe front sights usually sit higher off the barrel than what usually comes for a factory front sight, so you may need a rear peep sight with plenty of elevation adjustment. Haven't tried the peep/globe setup on a Henry, but I'm sure others have and will give you all the help you need on that one.

For precision target work, I prefer a blade for its sharper outline against the target, compared to a fiber optic. That sharp top on a blade allows for a more precise hold. The top of fiber optic sights tend to be a little less sharp. On the other hand, for hunting back in the timber, a fiber optic sight's visibility is awesome in those lowlight hunting periods. They really do work. I don't hunt, anymore, but have specifically tested them with other sights in lowlight periods, just out of curiosity. :)
1 x

MadCityJack
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MadCityJack » Tue May 30, 2017 9:19 am

Punched out the Skinner fiber optic, punched in the Skinner front blade sight. Sits high (and not so aesthetically pleasing), but affords the opportunity to file it down, as necessary. The goal is to get POI a bit higher and with the fiber optic (seeming the same size as factory, there was no room to lower the Skinner Express sight for adequate adjustment, so that's why I am now putting in the taller sight). I used Skinner's three sided file with one side smoothed so that only the sloped part of the dove tail is removed. The file works well. I then put on Skinner's blueing and after a couple of minutes, some lubricating oil, which shined up the otherwise fairly flat black sight. On the second image from top you can see some brass marring on the barrel--I did tape it off with duct tape, but still it broke through. Ballistol will hopefully take it off or I'll use a copper solvent. Didn't see it with the naked eye. BTW, I painted the front of the sight white, it doesn't come that way.

This process of substituting sights is a bit tedious; hopefully, it will be worth it! Next step--bore sighting. I used a neighbor's bore sight last time, recommendations for purchase of my own?
Attachments
IMG_1010.jpg
IMG_1010.jpg (426.3 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
IMG_1009.jpg
IMG_1009.jpg (596.05 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
IMG_1008 (1).jpg
IMG_1008 (1).jpg (438.81 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
IMG_0997.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg (586.84 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
Last edited by MadCityJack on Tue May 30, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Henry Steel Carbine 357/38; Skinner Receiver Peep Sight

MadCityJack
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MadCityJack » Tue May 30, 2017 9:23 am

North Country Gal wrote:I use globe sights almost exclusively on my air rifles that are setup with iron sights, using either a peep or open sight for the rear sight. The interchangeable inserts give you all kinds of options for the front sight, everything from a blade, aperture and so on. You get just about any kind of front sight you want, just by changing the insert. The only issue with going with a globe front is that globe front sights usually sit higher off the barrel than what usually comes for a factory front sight, so you may need a rear peep sight with plenty of elevation adjustment. Haven't tried the peep/globe setup on a Henry, but I'm sure others have and will give you all the help you need on that one.

For precision target work, I prefer a blade for its sharper outline against the target, compared to a fiber optic. That sharp top on a blade allows for a more precise hold. The top of fiber optic sights tend to be a little less sharp. On the other hand, for hunting back in the timber, a fiber optic sight's visibility is awesome in those lowlight hunting periods. They really do work. I don't hunt, anymore, but have specifically tested them with other sights in lowlight periods, just out of curiosity. :)
Thank you. I may try the Lyman Globe if the blade sight doesn't work.
0 x

MadCityJack
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MadCityJack » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:09 pm

As mentioned above, I swapped the fiber optic for the Skinner blade front sight and painted the front white.
IMG_1009.jpg
IMG_1009.jpg (596.05 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
I then unscrewed the Skinner short-stemmed aperture about 1/2 way out and tightened it down and went to the range today. I have room with the Skinner Express Sight now to raise and lower shots.

At 25 yards this is what I shot with my first seven rounds:
IMG_1083.jpg
IMG_1083.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 2645 times
At 25 yards, my wife who has very little rifle shooting experience shot the following:
IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 2645 times
I couldn't get on the 50 yard firing range because shooters were out to 100 yards and would have been behind us. I tried a few shots at 100 yards but did not have a spotting scope/binoculars to know what I was doing, so I let it go and later inspection of the target suggests that was well advised. If I can learn to shoot reasonably accurately at 50 to 75 yards I will keep it as is.

I want to thank Andy Larsson at Skinner Sights for providing support during the process and sending me a complimentary short-stemmed brass aperture to replace the original; I damaged the threads on the original as a result of turning it down too far with a thin hex wrench inserted into the aperture. As noted in a previous post here, I was trying to lower the rear sight to compensate for a short-fiber optic front sight.

In summary, I like the Skinner Express Peep Sight mounted on the receiver, but finding the right front sight was a bit of a challenge. A blade that has a vertical adjustment would be challenging to engineer but would solve the problem (Tech Sights has one for 22 caliber rifles and I put his set on my Marlin 795; have not shot it yet!). I found the Skinner tall blade, I believe it was .70", worked with the Skinner Express Sight and so far, no issues at 25 yards. When I get it out to 50-75 yards and working fine, I will call it a success! One follow-up to come.
Last edited by MadCityJack on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

Whaler17
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Whaler17 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Like those vice's, did you make them,??????? if so, what did you use for jaws, to keep from marking the weapon, thank Mike
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Whaler17 wrote:Like those vice's...
Whaler17, welcome to the forum from CT.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Been following your work on your steel .357 BB carbine. Looks to be a good job to me. I have the Henry Small Game carbine, and I shoot well with the receiver-mounted Skinner peep and front bead. But I've always liked a front blade, so think I'll check out what Skinner might have for my rifle in a blade. BTW, I really like the clarity and close-up photos of your Skinner front blade...very nice stuff. Aesthetics are not my top priority; I think the front blade looks cool on your rifle -- simple and solid.

Not least, both yours and your wife's targets show great POIs. That .357 Henry is a fine rifle. Enjoy!
Thanks for your posts.

MadCityJack wrote:Punched out the Skinner fiber optic, punched in the Skinner front blade sight. Sits high (and not so aesthetically pleasing), but affords the opportunity to file it down, as necessary. The goal is to get POI a bit higher and with the fiber optic (seeming the same size as factory, there was no room to lower the Skinner Express sight for adequate adjustment, so that's why I am now putting in the taller sight). I used Skinner's three sided file with one side smoothed so that only the sloped part of the dove tail is removed. The file works well. [etc.]
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:25 am

From what I can see on the POI at 25 yards, looks like the current combination is where you will need to be in terms of elevation adjustment available to you for other distances. Good work. Also, I think it's great the way you have shared. I'm sure it will help others.
1 x

MadCityJack
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MadCityJack » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Whaler17 wrote:Like those vice's, did you make them,??????? if so, what did you use for jaws, to keep from marking the weapon, thank Mike
I wish I had the skill to make vices. I purchased them on Amazon, along with protective inserts on the vices (see below). I also used felt, floor protectors on the vices for added protection--bought a package awhile ago. I hope that is helpful.

[urlhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LQY44/re ... UTF8&psc=1[/url]
[url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Q ... &psc=1/url]
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:09 pm

MadCityJack wrote:...I purchased them on Amazon, along with protective inserts on the vices (see below). I also used felt, floor protectors on the vices for added protection--bought a package awhile ago. I hope that is helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Q ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"