Henry is at full production. Good news for all!

Finally pulled the trigger

ssomad
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Finally pulled the trigger

Post by ssomad » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:12 pm

I’ve been obsessed with optics for weeks. Torn between a LPVO scout scope and red dot. I love the classic lines, maneuverability and light weight of my BB 357 and the 1-6x scopes seemed large and heavy for my intended use (plinking targets >50-100 yards and home defence). I ordered the Sightmark Wolverine FSR due to its size and features. Anyone else have that optic? Something with magnification may be a future purchase.
0 x

ssomad
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Finally pulled the trigger

Post by ssomad » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Update: Optics planet moved out shipping to May. I cancelled the order. Still not sure if a red dot or a reflex (vortex Venom) or a 1-4x scope is what I want. Isn’t a 1-4x with an illuminated rectile like having a red dot? I’d like versatility to shoot close and up to 100 yards. Suggestions?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:51 pm

I have not tried a red dot or illuminated reticle. Lots of people seem to like them. I more of the fewer things that can go wrong that is the way I typically go. Yet, I did put fiber optics on my Henry and Marlin. But, only naturally light is required. In very low light, may not show as well. For close in work, I probably have a good chance. However, it is nothing that I look forward to. Nonetheless, it is what it is.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:07 pm

The issue with illuminated reticles on the cheap versions is that you can't tone down the brightness enough to get a sharp reticle or dot. On the other hand, I have used a Leupold R 1.5-6x scope with the illuminated dot at the center of the crosshairs and it was amazing. Really was like having a red dot with magnification. Unfortunately, all of the R series use 30mm tubes, so small and light they are not. And, for sure, be prepared for some sticker shock. Awesome scopes, though.
1 x

Headhog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:55 pm

I've used an earlier model Sightmark red dot on my AR15 and it has performed exceedingly well. I've never had to rezero it unless I change ammo. and then only minor adjustments. I can shoot 2" groups a day long at 100 yds. with my AR15. I would recommend the Sightmark products.

Paul
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:43 pm

My limited experience with a red dot was on a turkey gun. I didn't like it, because, unlike a scope, all the knobs remain visible and clutter the view, or at least my view ;) . I replaced it with a "SeeAll" reflex sight. I wouldn't recommend it for 100 yards or more, but I do like the SeeAll over a red dot, just for the no batteries if nothing else. The smallest, lightest rifle scope going these days is a Leupold Ultralight 2.5X, at about 7 ounces. I have one on a Henry single shot 45-70, which groups into about an inch at 100 yards. Just shoot at a target that you can see :) .
0 x