Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Retirement living in a jet.

Share the good stuff with all of us. Leave the bad out. Let others know what good things you found.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Retirement living in a jet.

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 pm

P-51 was always one of my favorites growing up as I became an airplane nut because my dad worked for United Air Lines for 32 years. As I grew older I attended quite a few air shows with alot of old iron in the shows. B-25's B-17's B-24's and even a P-38. But I attended one show and got to meet Greg Pappy Boyington. F4U Corsair a real close second to the P-51 for me. Oh yes Pappy autographed his book for me and a picture. I even still have both. right there with ya to Mags 12 O'clock High was a definite watch for me. Al
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Retirement living in a jet.

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:59 am

My patrol partners father in law was Pappy's maintenance chief during the war, keeping the P51s flying and the lights on for the Black Sheep. He is in his 90s now and living in the VA's residential accommodations here. When I first met him, he was retired, living in my partners basement. He sat around wearing the Marine campaign cover and everyone called him, the Sarge. Most avoided the old man because he liked to yak about the old days, but I loved the old WWII Guys, especially Marines.

He and I would sit and chat now and then before "old timers" snuck in and stole his memories. He told me a story once about being told to "find" a needed generator when none were left in the supply chain in the islands. "The squadron needed it for real work... for the med tent and flight ops, not to keep the beer cold. The army had extras... so.... :D "

"What did you trade em?"

"Trade? Who said anything about a trade?" :twisted:

He always was a character. After all, he WAS from Lon Gisland. Yeah, I spelled it the way he pronounced it. :D
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.