Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

We all loved Henry Firearms .org

Share the good stuff with all of us. Leave the bad out. Let others know what good things you found.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: We all loved Henry Firearms .org

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:16 pm

Agreed that not all 1400+ are active. Rarely happens that way.
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:29 pm

Coach wrote:There might have been 1,400+ members but not 1,400 active members.

I would say the majority of the active members are here now.
I agree. We now have more people here actively posting than we did over there. Dave did a great job building this place. He did all the work and I kept the fires burning. Together we kept the legend going. Or should I say legion?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Communication is the key if there are forum problems.

Side note and please bear with me. Thank you.

There was a case where a woman started her own forum a few years ago. (NOT me but a younger woman who built pretty rifle stocks.) She had the help of another man and a couple of friends. Several people contributed money to her forum INCLUDING ME and it was slowly growing. Many of the people who were on her 'LC' forum posted on another well known Marlin forum or no longer posted there. Many of those people posted all over the WWWeb too. People bought her products and she DID make some VERY nice products.

Well, her 'LC forum' went POOF one day or night. ERROR messages of all kinds. I do not believe that it was HACKED. It was closed down. NO one was notified. NO one was told that it was going to be shut down on a specific date on that very forum or on another one where people knew about her forum. People belonged to both places. It was offline for a long time. IT never came back online from what I could tell.

At the time, I was still posting on one Marlin rifle site long before THAT split up again (Third time?) with a few gun guys. I quit there some time ago. I don't read it, go there or post there due to several reasons mainly the selective MODERATION, buddy crapola and politics/religion. Anyway, I had people write to me openly on that Marlin rifle forum and privately and ASK ME if I could get to that LC forum. I could not get there, I told them that and I even mentioned that I wrote to the man who helped start and run it for that young woman. NO reply to me from him and to the best of my memory - he never replied or posted about what HAPPENED to the woman's LC forum that he promoted and discussed. He was a nice man online... but NO communication. Several people DONATED money to help the forum get started and run well. I came across my one money order copy recently while cleaning out my file cabinet and it was $25. or $30. dollars. I do not think that I sent $50. to that one as I have with other ones in the past and I do not have it in front of me now.

I wrote to the above man on the one forum who I sent my USPO money order to and he never answered me about what happened or if it was a GLITCH or what happened. HE DID LET ME KNOW THAT HE RECEIVED MY DONATION. Email for sure and I think in a PM too. This was some time before the LC forum was shut down. Did the woman/owner shut it down? I have NO clue and she barely posted much on her own forum. Did someone else shut it down? I have NO clue. NO one ever got an explanation there OR on the M forum about what happened to the LC forum.

Anyway, NO one ever told me or any other person what happened to that one woman's LC forum. She was a nice lady and made a GREAT product. Many men did not like her outspoken talk, some were downright nasty to her - no kidding, some men took her wrong, but it did NOT bother me. She was a younger lady starting a good rifle stock business. She made some sweet rifle stocks and I think she was going to make some other products too.

However with ALL of that said, closing up a forum with NO notice to any person was/is not right. It was not a forum that you can make up for free. Some person helped her with it and many of us wanted to make a donation to keep it up and running but it was NOT required to post there.

When you can't get an answer from any person including who you sent your CHECK (US Postal Money Order.) to about what happened from another forum that he was on or any other person who was on the same board, other boards, etc. - it makes you wonder about IT all.

I figure the one lady is still making her products and I personally knew one PA man well who bought from her too. I don't know where he posts now but he was/is a nice man. He got fed up with the old M forum too. I think that he may not even know what really happened to the one lady's forum. He was a MODERATOR on her forum too! So he may have been left in the dark not knowing what happened. I have NO clue there. He was/is a nice man - smart in gun stuff. Smart in other subject matters too.

When my MT husband owned and ran a few forums and closed them up many, many years ago... he let people know about it ahead of time. He did Not accept $ donations from people. He did not get paid by a company or companies for putting up a couple of PLAIN ads for them either. I think that he had 3 companies who wanted an ad on his website. He had one website that he paid for with his own money and a free one. I only had free ones. I let people know when I was closing mine up.

The old MSN forums from the 90's and on closed up as many of us old timers may remember. Some of them were the hottest and most active ones on the internet too. Yahoo got worse over time when it came to some forums.

I helped other people with their forums, I helped my MT husband and I had my own.

I know some GUN guys and gals who only do Facebook and those types of things now. They quit all forums or just don't post on them any longer. We do not use or belong to Facebook. I have been asked by some old friends to join their Facebook and discuss various subject matters but I told them, "No thank you."

Thanks for the ear.

Cate
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:29 pm

thanks for a most interesting inside perspective
0 x

ronnie
Tenderfoot

Post by ronnie » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:14 pm

Face Book what is that? No chance of that with me.

R
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 am

Thanks for the education Cate. I will not do Face Book or Insta etc so the forums are it for me.
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:13 am

You're welcome.

Cate
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Cate, thanks for that great post.

Sir Henry and I are paying the bills at this point. We have offers of sponsors and we are working out the details. I enjoy the relationship I have with Henry Repeating Arms and Skinner Sights. I hope to announce a contest of sorts soon. We have an offer of a prize for the winner. Things are definitely different here. I like it, but I am not moving too quickly. Soon, I hope we will be linked to by Henry Repeating Arms. We are already linked to by Skinner sights. We are almost to 100 members too. Not bad for a couple of Henry enthusiasts I think.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:35 pm

daytime dave wrote:Cate, thanks for that great post.

Sir Henry and I are paying the bills at this point. We have offers of sponsors and we are working out the details. I enjoy the relationship I have with Henry Repeating Arms and Skinner Sights. I hope to announce a contest of sorts soon. We have an offer of a prize for the winner. Things are definitely different here. I like it, but I am not moving too quickly. Soon, I hope we will be linked to by Henry Repeating Arms. We are already linked to by Skinner sights. We are almost to 100 members too. Not bad for a couple of Henry enthusiasts I think.
I'm glad you didn't say "a couple of OLD Henry enthusiasts".
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:37 am

Dave,

I think that you and SH will do fine here however you set it up.

Cate
0 x