Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Tale of the Pink Towel

What's happening on or with the forum
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

The Tale of the Pink Towel

Post by ESquared » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:34 pm

The pink towel first appeared in the Henry Rifle Forums on August 15, 2018, in a photo of my very first Henry rifle (a .357BBS) with its very first scope. The Big Boy was nestled amongst some cleaning towels on my workbench for its close-up, and one of them was a faded, pink, terrycloth hand-towel.

For many months, the thread remained active, with Forum members chiming in occasionally to ask a question or admire the look, until, on January 19th, 2019, a member from Colorado posted, “Looks good Evan. And I really like the pink towel in the photo studio!”

Since then, numerous posts have been added to the thread, most of them about the pink towel. Moreover, the pink towel became “a thing” around the Forums. Every week, Forum members from far and wide use pink towels as props in photos of their Henrys, their targets, their ammo and their accessories. Some pink towels are prominently displayed, while others “photobomb” a picture by lurking in the background.

In other words, Forum members began having fun, sharing a crazy joke, and, in the process, building relationships. Over the most pedestrian firearm “accessory” imaginable, in one of the most unlikely colors to ever be found on a gun Forum, camaraderie was furthered by a bunch of Henry Owners across the country.

While it was fun to watch the pink towel phenomenon grow in this little corner of the web, I felt the need to somehow make it a real thing, something more tangible. My marketing wheels began turning, and soon, sketches were created, phone calls were made, emails sent, and in no time, a custom-embroidered “Henry Rifle Forums” pink towel was deemed not only completely feasible, but a “cool idea.”

Of course, one of those contacts was with DaytimeDave, since not only would permission certainly be needed, but endorsements would be a must. Dan@Henry was soon brought into the loop, his blessings were given and the pink towel project began in earnest.

What the towel really needed, however, was a more concrete reason for being, and Dave noted that the third Anniversary of the Forum was coming up in March. More brainstorming ensued, and soon a sweepstakes was born, with prizes generously provided by HRA. Appropriately, the pink towel’s embroidery design was altered to include an “Anniversary” mention, with the notion that they could be added as prizes in the sweepstakes. Strategically, the Pink Anniversary towel became a “limited edition” memento. In addition to including it as a Sweepstakes prize, it was decided that an additional fifty of the Anniversary Towels would be offered to Forum members.

On a parallel path, different fabrics were reviewed for durability, overall utility, lint “shedding”, color-fastness and appropriate size. Embroidery experts were brought in for design and layout, type-sizing and placement. Fabric samples were ordered in (and laundered) and, suffice it to say, numerous obstacles were overcome.
As this development process progressed, the towel became more than just a “bench rag.” With final dimensions of 14” X 28” and constructed of sturdy, 10 oz. cotton twill, it became a “Range Towel,” suitable for use beyond the workbench or reloading station.

Such is the story of how the Henry Rifle Forums came to be home to the 3rd Anniversary Commemorative (Pink) Range Towel. How the tale will play out remains to be seen, but it’s hard to imagine it not involving some happy Henry owners who end up with a lasting connection with the Henry brand, the Forum and one another.

Photos are included below and an info sheet is being developed, so check back soon in “Forum News” for further information on how to get a limited-edition Henry Rifle Forums Range Towel of your own!
Attachments
Henry Rifle Forums Anniv Range Towel 006.JPG
Henry Rifle Forums Anniv Range Towel 006.JPG (201.32 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
Henry Rifle Forums Anniv Range Towel 008.JPG
Henry Rifle Forums Anniv Range Towel 008.JPG (107.52 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
Henry Rifle Forums Anniv Range Towel 011.JPG
Henry Rifle Forums Anniv Range Towel 011.JPG (132.98 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
Henry Rifle Forums Anniv Range Towel 012.JPG
Henry Rifle Forums Anniv Range Towel 012.JPG (89.47 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
9 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: The Tale of the Pink Towel

Post by Cofisher » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:49 pm

A no doubt, highly prized, accessory for any Henry owner. A must have for the upcoming season.
2 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Esquared, that is a VERY cool range towel. I'm glad you stuck with it and made this a reality. That is truly a great keepsake for the forum.

This may surprise everyone, but the above photographs are the first time I have seen these. I think they came out great. I have two on the way. One for me and one for the step son.

Wow, very cool indeed.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Lots of work to get all the "loose threads" together, ESquared.
Congrats both on your 8-) history write up, and development of the Henry Pink Towel!
2 x

~Пока~

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Heck of an idea, Evan.
And they look Great.
You remind me of another buddy that I have meet from another gun forum.
We've had three meets in the past 4 years,
and for two of those he had made personalized range towels for all attendees.
The last one was a small select group and had a pheasant hunt/trap/sporting clays weekend.
That time he bought cloth carpenter nail aprons, and had those personalized.
We used them during the trap/SP clays.

Anyway I would love to have one of hose pink towels.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:10 pm

Nice work Evan. Count me in I want one and I want you to send one to RR to as he needs one even if he says he doesnt. I will buy my Canadian brother from another mother one and pay the shipping to his house. Aint no way with all the photos he shoots that he cant have some pink coming out of Canada. It will look good under those 45 colts of his.
7 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. It's great to see these first samples turn out so well, and I believe that it will serve members (and even non-members) well on many levels. It's just kind of neat to see something that extends the forum beyond the bandwidth of the interweb and builds the camaraderie across the miles in some small way.
Plus, it's kind of a hoot, isn't it? And, as you know, AL, you're the one who noticed it in the photo in the first place!
We'll figure out a way to get one to RR, no doubt about it!
Thanks again to all of you!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Truly a "cool" item. And no ice cubes were harmed in the announcement of this cool idea.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:47 pm

It is :lol:
ESquared wrote:... it's kind of a hoot, isn't it?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:11 pm

This one gets the big...
pinkchk.png
pinkchk.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
ESquared wrote:... it's kind of a hoot, isn't it?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234