Strange happenings

What's happening on or with the forum
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Strange happenings

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am

Another quirk about posting replies:

If you write a reply to a post while (unknown to you) another member is also replying to it, and if you submit yours after his, your submission will not be added to the thread. After you hit "Submit", the first member's submission will appear on your refreshed screen along with your now yet to be submitted post. It seems like it has just been added, but it hasn't; it actually requires a re-submission. If you fail to re-submit at that point and navigate away, your intended post is lost.

I know it sounds confusing, and it took me a while to realize what was happening. I thought some of my posts were just vanishing; instead, I discovered they were never actually added. :roll:
4 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 am

CT_Shooter wrote:Another quirk about posting replies:

If you write a reply to a post while (unknown to you) another member is also replying to it, and if you submit yours after his, your submission will not be added to the thread. After you hit "Submit", the first member's submission will appear on your refreshed screen along with your now yet to be submitted post. It seems like it has just been added, but it hasn't; it actually requires a re-submission. If you fail to re-submit at that point and navigate away, your intended post is lost.

I know it sounds confusing, and it took me a while to realize what was happening. I thought some of my posts were just vanishing; instead, I discovered they were never actually added. :roll:
That helps explain a lot also..thanks CT.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:10 am

I often get posts that don’t show up but it it because I hit preview and not send.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm

I use "Back" all the time. No issues. I am also sometimes able to use "Forward" to get back to the reply box (submission content still intact) after discovering a post didn't post. I either forgot to click submit the first time or the submit did the jerk to the top of the webpage without submitting and I didn't notice.
ESquared wrote:I've not had duplicate posts, but just now I had a response that didn't post. Not the first time, but thought it might just be me doing something wrong. I've tried to be careful to NOT hit the "Back" button after posting, as I thought that was the issue, but now I'm not so sure...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 pm

I've seen that happen. When it does there is a warning message that tells you your post wasn't posted yet because someone else beat you to it. Asks if you want to read the latest someone else's post. If you go back to read the other person's post your unposted content can be lost. So I don't and instead just click 'submit' again.
CT_Shooter wrote:Another quirk about posting replies:

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm

I write up most of my Forum comments in "Notepad." Then just copy into whatever Forum page/tool I'm using. Less chance of letting the Forum software scoot me around or "glitch" in some way and I'd lose my info. Then double check if my submission posted by opening a second window to the Forum, if something doesn't seem to process correctly. A little cumbersome, but I've lost a lot of typed thread info, which I couldn't recover.

Of course, it can always be "operator error," too. :oops:
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Another strange thing. Sometimes the "Quick Reply" box doesn't appear at the bottom of the postings.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:43 pm

I get a swarm of these error messages every so often. Latest swarm couple days ago Jan 25th about 1:30 PM Pacific.
gen error.JPG
gen error.JPG (39.47 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Don't send me email there. I hardly have time to look there.

Reporting problems here will get faster results.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:47 pm

I've "lost" 2, maybe 3 posts here in the last two days. Don't know what happened, but, it ain't me. Frustrating, but, will work thru it.
0 x