Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I removed Chat

What's happening on or with the forum
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: I removed Chat

Post by Mistered » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Chat can be fun with the right people - it was pretty popular when chat rooms started pre WWW with BBS , and then into the WWW era - but then seemed to loose interest. Heck it was kind of like a modern short wave!
1 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 am

I actually liked it, but I got away from it from low participation. Just about every time I would stop in, I'd be the only one there, lol. I believe I even mentioned something about setting up a time for all of us to get together, but that never went anywhere, back in the beginning anyway.
0 x
NRA Member

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote: I believe I even mentioned something about setting up a time for all of us to get together, but that never went anywhere, back in the beginning anyway.

I remember that and every time I had something come up. I guess it never worked out. I liked it too. It could come back with a few key strokes sometime. Perhaps we can map it out in the lounge sometime.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:36 pm

As a former instructional technologist at a university, I have never seen "chat" as an effective communication tool for any more than two participants because of the chronology of posted replies in the tool. Slower typist's responses are relegated to the bottom or middle of the thread, while faster typist's posts appear quickly, with all posts ultimately being out of order. As a consequence, it is often an incomprehensible thread of statements and/or questions that requires a jigsaw-like reassembly by the many readers unless the chat session is strictly moderated so that participants must be "called on" in order to respond, one after another.

As a result, I strongly discouraged the free form chat "tool" for online courses. It most always resulted in "textual cacophony" rather than helpful communication.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Can the 'who's logged in' box be decoupled from the chat feature?
I really, really, really like seeing who is logged in during the time I visit !!!! :!: :!: :!:
See how important this is? I used lots of !!!!! and 'reallys'.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Mags wrote:Can the 'who's logged in' box be decoupled from the chat feature?
I really, really, really like seeing who is logged in during the time I visit !!!! :!: :!: :!:
See how important this is? I used lots of !!!!! and 'reallys'.
You can see who's logged while you are, using the Index Page and scrolling down to the bottom.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 pm

I see that. Can we bring that box to top of the index page and default it's view as open? Previously it was nice to see who's logged as a 'drive-by' view rather than something one has to consciously look up.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:04 pm

I've been on some chats on different forums that worked out quite well. I know what CT_Shooter is saying about the posts sometimes being out of order, but myself I would always keep aware of that, make the best out of it and not leave anyone left out.

I always found it as a type of interesting challenge. But I know they're not for everyone.
0 x
NRA Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:03 pm

I've used the direct message feature a few times. Not real time but there the messages are tit for tat and don't get out of order because of that.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:42 pm

How about Skype so we can all go to the range together... :)
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully