Time for our second contest

What's happening on or with the forum
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Time for our second contest

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:56 am

daytime dave wrote:
Please write a review of any Henry Repeating Arms product you have, have seen or want. Please be honest and sincere.
Great contest, Dave. This is going to be a lot of fun. Thanks.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:18 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
daytime dave wrote:
Please write a review of any Henry Repeating Arms product you have, have seen or want. Please be honest and sincere.
Great contest, Dave. This is going to be a lot of fun. Thanks.
They are to be submitted on THIS thread, Correct, CT ?

STARTING NOW ?? :o :D
0 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:03 pm

DWD445 wrote: They are to be submitted on THIS thread, Correct, CT ?

STARTING NOW ?? :o :D
This thread, starting two days ago -- OK -- starting NOW! I hope we get lots of entries; I like to read about others' Henrys.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Yes, starting now. Post all entries in this thread.

Good luck everyone.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

isldtime
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by isldtime » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:14 pm

If it is going here:
Ok, here we go! My first Henry lever action is a Varmint Express because I have nothing in that round and I really like lever actions.
I went into the LGS to put a hand on all 3 .17HMR offerings. The sights on all but the Varmint Express were very basic but, the sights on the Varmint Express are fantastic if you can scrunch down far enough to get a good sight picture on those illuminated sights. The rifle is made for a scope because of the Monte Carlo stock for sure which is what I did and the rings I picked let me get a view of those great iron, never fail sights.
The shame is that those sights aren't on the other models.
The rifle action is very smooth but I did have one ejected round stove pipe that was a bitch to remove but none since.
I think the option of those sights would be great on all of the Henry rim fire line.
Oh ya, I love my Henry .17 HMR Varmint Express!!!!!!!!
1 x
Plinkin' since 1960 with a Nylon 66

Lever guns: Pre. 64 Win. 94 30-30, Savage Mdl. 99 .243, Post 64 Win. 94 45LC., Henry .17 Varmint Express

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:31 am

A Henry History

Short history in terms of time --- but a history filled with Henrys. There have been too many comings and goings for Henrys and my gun cabinet since I retired in 2012, and mostly these wanderings were due to $$ needs. But all-in-all, the shooting history has been great!

My bronze Big Boy (BBB) in .357 caliber was my first Henry in May of 2013. I got it because for a number of months before I bought it, I had been shooting a friend's borrowed Henry Classic lever-action .22LR. I was hooked by that smooth lever action on that rifle! The BBB stayed here until just this past June....so three fun years.

Over those three years, these Henrys came alongside the BBB:
~~A steel .30-30; but this was the one with the lever constantly popping open. Henry RAC took it back after not having any repair alternative in place. Hard-to-believe Customer Service when they gave me back the entire purchase price!
~~A .22 Magnum; had to leave due to the $$ needs. :(
~~A steel Big Boy in .357 Magnum; ditto on the $$ needs. :(
~~A Small Game Carbine in .22LR. This Henry stores comfortably in my cabinet today, and is the only rifle I now own and shoot. It's a great shooting and exceptionally well-balanced Henry. I really enjoy it. :)

Also at times during these three years, I looked at the Pump Action Octagon Rifle in .22 S/L/LR caliber.
This is the next Henry rifle, which I would like to move into my gun cabinet.

A Pump Aside.

The story continues: Here's what's behind my choice of this cool-looking Henry.

Like most everyone on our Forum, I really enjoy handling the Henry lever-action rifles. Great fun, especially with the exceptional smooth-acting lever every single one of my Henrys carried. But the second long gun to join my BBB in June 2013 was my Benelli Nova Tactical Pump shotgun in 12-gauge. I always enjoyed this extremely smooth-operating pump action shotgun. I "pumped" almost 700 rounds through it, mostly 1oz. slugs. I've also shot another Benelli 12-ga semi-auto, and a Stoeger 20-ga SxS. But neither matched the real fun range times I had with the pump.

Today, in the gun cabinet alongside my Small Game Carbine is my new Benelli 20ga Nova Field Pump shotgun. I'm still hooked on a pump-action long gun. I've handled the Henry Pump at three LGS in the KCMO area, they look really cool to me, and the action is a blast to operate. Of course, Henry has dressed the Pump in fine-looking wood furniture, which is always a real plus. So the future plan is to acquire the Henry Pump in .22LR.

New history with a Pump Action Octagon Rifle.

And the best is yet to come! Trying to get a new Henry Pump in my gun cabinet maybe yet this year. I have a friend who opened up his small LGS just this spring, and I've visited there as he "built" his business, and has been stocking all the guns and gun stuff on the shelves. Just recently he set up a "lay-a-way" payment system for his customers. Well, that got me! And this just might be the way I can get that Henry pump to take up residency in my gun cabinet!! ;)

Not least, what I've read recently about the Henry Pump is that it has been improved over the last several years, too. That's typical of Henry. So my choice is good -- the Henry .22LR Pump. If when I buy one, the Pump doesn't pump well for whatever reason, I know Henry will take over and get it 100% spot on! Good enough for me! :D

End of story, but hopefully the beginning of more Henry History!!
1 x

~Пока~

JWC
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JWC » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:02 am

For consideration:

My love affair with lever action guns started fairly early in my life. I admit to being infatuated with lever actions rifles early in life because of Chuck Connors and the rifleman. When it was time to get my first deer rifle, I received a Marlin 30/30, straight stock. I was thrilled. As I grew older, I admit to being a Marlin snob. I love the straight stock Marlin, and I did not feel any other lever gun could match the accuracy, the feel, the look of a straight stock old Marlin. In fact, I refused to even consider buying any other brand of lever action. In my opinion, nothing matched my Marlins. I had and still have a nice number of Marlins, all straight stock, all JM stamped. I was extremely happy with my Marlins.

Three years ago, my lever action world got turned upside down. I had been actively looking to acquire a straight stock, JM stamped, Marlin chambered in .45colt. I was not having much luck finding one, at the price and condition I wanted, despite my best efforts. During my seemingly endless search of pawn shops, I wandered into a local pawn shop and saw a rifle that stopped me in my tracks. It was a Henry, .44mag, Big Boy. The brass made that rifle stand out from the other rifles. I had to see it up close. Wow! All I can say is that I was impressed. No, it was not the caliber I wanted, but the fit, the finish, the octagon barrel, the wood, the brass finish; the smooth action had me hooked. I did not buy that .44mag. But, I went home and started looking for a Henry 45colt. Three weeks later to the day, I was the proud owner of a Henry Big Boy .45colt. I had it at the range the next day and was again very impressed. The rifle made me look good at the range, and nearly everyone wanted to see my Henry. Again, I was hooked.

Since that initial purchase, I have been lucky to acquire a Henry Big Boy in .44mag, just could not get that first Henry I saw in that pawn shop, out of my mind. I had to have one. Also, I have recently purchased a Henry Silver Boy in .22. In three years, I have gone from no Henry rifles to three. I fully expect to own more. In fact, if you have not seen that all weather 45/70 from Henry up close and personal, you are missing out. Dang, just gave away the next Henry I want!
2 x

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:13 am

Come guys, We gotta have more than 3 entries !! ;) :P
1 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

JWC
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JWC » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:51 am

I agree DWD445, the more entries the better. Since I won the first contest, I thought it would be appropriate to post of picture of the prizes I won. Totally surprised, and thanks.

4 x

Hack
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hack » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:49 pm

AR-7 Survival Rifle

2nd Contest Winner
The AR-7 is a fairly unique version of a .22 lr takedown rifle where all of the components (including 2 7 round magazines) fit in the plastic stock. The Henry version is actually designed to float!

Brief History

The AR-7 was developed by Eugene Stoner (yes, the developer of the M-16) for the U.S. Air Force. The concept was to provide downed pilots with the means to live off the land until they could be rescued. After the expiration of the Air Force contract, ArmaLite sold the right to the AR-7 to Charter Arms. Charter Arms produced the civilian version of the rifle for several years, but these rifles were plagued with reliability issues resulting in FTF. Charter Arms sold the rights to Henry Repeating Arms. Henry redesigned the magazines (by adding an exterior spring) which partially addresses the reliability issues (more about that below).

The AR-7 made its big debut to the general public in the Bond film From Russia with Love. Being a Bond fan from an early age (I actually has a toy car of the famous DB5 used in Goldfinger), I couldn't resist being able to purchase a real life Bond gadget for a little over $200.

General Impression

The AR-7 is a cool rifle. At less than 5 lbs with 2 fully loaded magazines, it is a great backpack gun. It makes a good boat gun or trunk gun.

It can be assembled in a minute or two. Take the cover off of the stock and remove the parts. Put the cover back on. Insert the receiver into a groove on the stock and tighten a screw. Insert the barrel into a groove on the receiver and tighten a nut. Insert a magazine and you are ready to go.

Takedown is a snap. Simply insert your finger into the receiver (obviously with the barrel removed), depress the bolt, remove the charging handle and everything comes apart.

Accuracy

The AR-7 is NOT a plinker. If you want a semi-automatic .22 lr plinker, I'd recommend a Marln 60 or a Ruger 10-22 instead. There are limitations on the accuracy of the AR-7.

1. The sights are primitive. The rear sight is just a strip of metal with 2 holes, a large one and a small one. The strip is held in place by a screw which allows the height to be raised or lowered. The front sight is a piece of orange plastic that can be moved from side to side. The orange color aids target acquisition but the wide width makes fine sighting difficult. The receiver has a rail on top, but if you add a scope then you loose the ability to put everything in the stock, which sort of defeats the purpose of the rifle.

2. The steel in the barrel is extremely thin to keep the weight down (perhaps so that the rifle will float). The thin steel barrel is coated in Teflon to protect it from the elements. The problem is that after 20-30 rounds, the barrel heats up and accuracy drops off. Remember, the AR-7 was designed as a survival rifle with two 7 round magazines. There is a company AR-7.com that sells heavier barrels, but I have not tried them.

3. There is no forestock so it is difficult to get a good grip on the rifle with your off hand. I usually hold the barrel nut. AR-7.com does sell barrels with shrouds which can be gripped, but the shroud will not fit in the stock.

Using the large hole on the rear sight, I get about 3-4" groups at 50 yds until the barrel heats up.

Reliability

The weakness of the AR-7 is the magazines. The Charter Arms and after market magazines are simply not reliable and will result in FTF. The Henry magazines are much better BUT are not perfect. The tabs on top of the magazines are thin sheet metal that can be bent especially if the shooter holds the magazine with the off hand as I did when I first got the rifle. If one of the tabs is bent downward the bolt will not pick up the rounds. If it is bent upward, the round will miss the chamber, jam the bolt and bend the bullet in the case. I had the former happen to me and sent the rifle back to Henry. Henry diagnosed the problem and replaced both magazines at no charge. Now I know to straighten the tabs with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Conclusion

I like the rifle and would recommend it to someone that understands its limitations. It is not for someone who wants to plink all day. But for someone who wants an inexpensive semi automatic .22 lr to put in a backpack, trunk or boat, it is hard to beat.
2 x