Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowboy Gear

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Cowboy Gear

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:48 am

RanchRoper wrote:Almost every Henry rifle I've seen in photos, either historically or in movies this model of rifle is carried upside down. Now I know why. It is just too loose in the scabbard right side up, and could fall out. Upside down it cradles better and is balanced. Oh well, I prefer the look of right side up, but I would rather not leave it on the trail somewhere, so upside down it is. :) I guess if it's good enough for the Texas Rangers, it's good enough for me.
per Spock, Fascinating ... thanks for the info and your impressions

as to the wrap, I'm not a fan but what you think is all that's important ....
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:14 am

Dennis H wrote:RR I've never riden with a scabbard, the way you've got it mounted does it catch the brush or trees? I've seen em mounted the opposite direction as well with the stock in front of your leg. Any advantage one way or the other? Ever got you into a jackpot?
Packing a rifle is a cowboy conundrum. No matter where you put it, it's in the way of something, or in jeopardy of getting caught on a branch or falling out of the scabbard. Personal taste too, but mostly the lesser of evils is what I try for. Southwest style is what you see in the photos. Northwest style is facing front. On the near side (the side you get on and off) the riders weight plus the weight of the rifle pull on the saddle when mounting or dismounting, causing your saddle to shift all the time. No matter how tight you cinch up, it will move, and you don't want to be so tight that your horse can't breathe. It's balances better on the "off side" because of this. On the near side as well, your rifle is very easy to get at when you get off your horse. Might be a good thing sometimes. In my case, the off side is where I pack my rope because I am right handed. A forward facing rifle is in the way of my roping and getting to the horn to take my wraps. Plus I would be concerned about a forward facing stock getting hung up in a tree branch if I'm pushing cows through timber. I have not had this rifle on my horse yet either, so what you see in the photos will get lots of adjustment before I'm settled on what works best. Might end up on the other side even, we'll see.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 am

tx gunrunner wrote:Modern cowboys gear . No horse needed .. Carries 2 rifles , 1 shotguns and 2 pistols . Ammo and extra goodies in seat ..

I think I could hitch that up like a roman chariot....hmmmm
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 am

Dennis H wrote:Oh and the rig looks good! Never ridden in a wade, what maker is it? I can see the stamp on the fender just can't blow it up enough to read it .
Platte Valley Saddle shop in Kearney Nebraska.

Lyle and Lynda Henderson, great people. I have lots of gear from them over the last 30 years. Real old timey working gear built right. Made in America or not made at all....sounds like a motto ;)
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:24 am

JEBar wrote:
RanchRoper wrote:Almost every Henry rifle I've seen in photos, either historically or in movies this model of rifle is carried upside down. Now I know why. It is just too loose in the scabbard right side up, and could fall out. Upside down it cradles better and is balanced. Oh well, I prefer the look of right side up, but I would rather not leave it on the trail somewhere, so upside down it is. :) I guess if it's good enough for the Texas Rangers, it's good enough for me.
per Spock, Fascinating ... thanks for the info and your impressions
as to the wrap, I'm not a fan but what you think is all that's important ....
....the wrap is off....didn't like it. :)
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:08 pm

I spent some time this evening trying different places on my saddle for the 1860 Henry. For now I have settled on southwest position, near side. This is the side I get on & off, and it seems to sit well there. I stepped on and rode around at a walk for a few minutes just to check how it feels and my leg comfort, and my horse comfort. Badger is the chubbiest guy we have right now (easy keeper, winter fat) so if I can get stuff to fit him properly, and get my legs around him and the gear ok, then all is good. The only issue with near side is I would have to reset my saddle a little more often during the day, but I do that a fair bit anyway, it's just good habit and your horse appreciates it. But, on the near side, it is not in the way of roping at all, especially if I am working alone and have to tie off and get down to treat a cow. I included a photo of the Big Boy from last fall as well so you can see the 2 for comparison. Both fit well, obviously the Big Boy is more compact, and by old west standards a "carbine" size rifle. One can see why the carbines became popular as they are much easier to pack around from a size perspective. However, I have to say, the lack of a fore end on the 1860 made it much easier for me to sit square and use my leg on my horse. Big difference. The Big Boy rifle as you know if you own one, has quite a hefty wood fore end on it. While it grips in the scabbard well, it was always a little on the uncomfortable side for me. My knees are not the greatest after 40+ years riding, so I'll take all the comfort I can get. The other upside is that I can get off in a hurry and get right to my rifle if necessary. Anyhow, I'll do more adjusting as time goes on, but for now, as an old Gene Autry song says "I'm a happy, rovin' cowboy." :D

ps: I had not been on Badger for awhile, and he did not try to buck me off....always a bonus! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:19 pm

looks good .... any issue with swinging your right leg over the stock ?
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:29 pm

JEBar wrote:looks good .... any issue with swinging your right leg over the stock ?
That's why cowboys yodel. :roll:
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm

oh yes, now I remember :idea: why I switched to a pickup truck ...
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:20 pm

RanchRoper wrote:I spent some time this evening trying different places on my saddle for the 1860 Henry. For now I have settled on southwest position, near side. This is the side I get on & off, and it seems to sit well there.
just curious .... I'd appreciate your comments about mounting it on the far side (right side), stock forward
0 x