Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pileated Woodpecker

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Pileated Woodpecker

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:34 am

This is a rare bird at my house. The neighbor across the street is taking down several tall pine trees. The poles are still standing, which is where a pair of these birds first landed this morning. I wish the photo was more than just a snapshot, but it was really cool to watch them while they were here.
Pileated Woodpecker2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Pileated Woodpecker

Post by Vaquero » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:58 pm

I see one occasionally around here.
Do still remember the first time I saw one, back in the late 80's.
Was walking back to the house, had been out in the woods scouting or something.
Had to do some searching before I figured out what it was.
Lol, no Google back then.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:21 pm

As long as there on the tree and not on the house. Hotel up the street from my house has had a heck of time with them. They have been hammering away on the stucco. I see where there are several large patches of repair. Not to mention the big fake owls on the roof.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:57 pm

Congrats, CT. Glad you got a chance to see a Pileated. In our north woods, the Pileated is not only a common bird, but also an iconic north woods bird, right there with the Common Loon. They are a frequent visitor to our winter bird feeders. For those not familiar with this woodpecker, the Pileated is a large bird, with some approaching the size of a crow. Hard to miss when one flies through the woods or visits your yard.

3 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm

Don't want them hammering on aluminum ladders either. I once left a 24ft extension ladder leaning on a tree for access to a mason bee box. Woodpecker would bang on that ladder every morning. Annoying.
BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:21 pm
As long as there on the tree and not on the house. Hotel up the street from my house has had a heck of time with them. They have been hammering away on the stucco. I see where there are several large patches of repair. Not to mention the big fake owls on the roof.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:50 pm

They are fairly common around here and I enjoy seeing them ..some of the old timers when I was a little boy long years ago called them wood hens... They are neat looking.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:06 pm

I like seeing the big knockers. We used to have flickers banging on our metal flue caps. An interesting way to wake up.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:53 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm
Don't want them hammering on aluminum ladders either. I once left a 24ft extension ladder leaning on a tree for access to a mason bee box. Woodpecker would bang on that ladder every morning. Annoying.
BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:21 pm
I hear that (😸). There's a metal power pole on the hillside a few hundred feet from my place that they like to bang on. They haven't been around as much the last few years, don't know the species, they have red tail feathers and are about the size of a Robin.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:10 pm

We have them in our yard daily feeding on the suet feeders. They are a unique bird. We love watching them. The male has a red stripe mid-way down the side of it's head. The female does not. I have even seen 3 at a time on occasion. They are daily visitors in our yard.
We use hot pepper suet that ALL the birds love. The hot pepper is the only one the squirrels don't decimate.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Danwin22
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Danwin22 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:56 am

They killed several trees in the back yard but we do like them.
0 x
USAF 1958-62, NRA Member, CWP