Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Deer in the yard this morning

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Deer in the yard this morning

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:24 am

There were two fairly large Does under the apple trees in the front yard this morning at just before 7am. I snapped this pic with my phone. I find deer droppings each time I walk there, but rarely get to see them. The trees are loaded this year (Macs and Golden Delicious). I'll start picking them soon.

Doe in Morning.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Deer in the yard this morning

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 am

in our part of the country, clearing of land for housing developments has resulted in more and more deer being seen in yards an on the roads .... as a result, flowers and decorative bushes often become food for them
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:56 am

Last year we were working in a new neighborhood.
Looked up one afternoon and in the yard next to us there 5 or 6 just easing through.
20190115_160834.jpg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:59 am

If you dont pick those apples CT the deer will
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:01 am

We had 3 does and a bunch of babies all laying in the front yard yesterday. Little ones losing spots now.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:32 am

We planted four pairs of fruit trees six or eight years ago. The deer have assured they have never produced mature fruit. ;)
They have also pruned the rose bushes and other flowering plants lately. Funny, didn't have that problem when we had the boxer. :twisted:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:38 am

My Parents used to have a home in the woods up in Oregon. 40 Acres with some apple trees about a hundred yards from the house.
Any night of the year you could spot light 20-30 deer feeding off of the trees. If you took a chair and sat out there for a while at night
you would be surrounded by them in no time.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:50 am

The deer do get the low hanging peaches and apples and, of course, they get everything that falls to the ground. Still, there's much more than I can use. I've recruited friends to take what they want. Bushels of this year's peaches are gone now, some to the deer, but mostly to friends and neighbors. Same with the blackberries; even with a half dozen catbirds stealing them all day, there are still way too many.

My wife and I used to freeze, dehydrate, or can the fruit and veggies from our garden, but now that I'm alone, I've lost interest. I've been in (what I refer to as) a deep funk since she's been gone.
BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:59 am
If you dont pick those apples CT the deer will
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 am

Here in VA, "REAL" farmers" can apply for a season waiver for nuisance deer and get a permit to shoot the deer to protect their crops after a Conservation Police Officer (Warden) comes out and verifies that a large number of deer are doing significant damage to an honest money crop. Hobby Farmers need not apply. The cool thing is that the Farmers who have apply for and received these permits can use night vision, thermal, and suppressors, and most will donate the meat to butchers/processors on a provided list and it doesn't go to waste. (The farmers can also claim the Guns and Equipment on their taxes....)

There are always those folks that apply that in NO way qualify... case in point, the little old lady with a couple short rows of corn, some beets, a few rows of potatoes and beans, carrots. Her "crops" are being devastated by deer and other wildlife and she needs that special permit so she can hire someone to "take care" of the problem. (Her grandson is a hunter and he told her about the waiver.) Naturally.... :roll:

Sorry ma'am, you don't qualify, but you can put up a fence around your "valuable crops" and protect them from the deer.

The CPO gets a call to return and speak to the citizen about the continuing problem with nuisance deer.

"I put up the fence," she points, "but the deer are still ravaging my garden."

The warden looks, no fence in sight.
"What fence?"

"Well," she sighs... "All those fences that young man at Sears showed me were so unattractive I was nearly in tears.... :cry: ... Then I saw the signs claiming they had an invisibile fence."

Oh no, thinks the CPO...

"It keeps my dogs from digging in the garden fine, but the deer keep wandering right in, as do the bunnies."

"Well Ma'am, if you can get all the deer and bunnies to wear those $100 collars your dogs are wearing... it'll work for them too."
:|
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 am

No, seriously, really happened.
:?
2 x