Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Where is Hummingbird?

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Where is Hummingbird?

Post by Vaquero » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Once several years ago at work one day, I am in the vinyl siding business. So this day I'm going down the side of the house running trim, this is a new house still under construction.
So the windows are open, and as I'm passing one I see this bird flying around the room trapped. Well about then it flys into the window, hovers a second or two then drops to the sill.
It's a hummingbird, wow. It's just sitting all wore out looking. I put my finger down by it and it jumped on my finger, I'm like cool. It sits there for a good minute, then just flew off.
And this was before cameras came out with a cellphone attached to it. :lol:

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:22 pm

We have three feeders in the yard, and a number of Hummingbirds...they provide lots of entertainment around the gazebo. The males are pretty aggressive. Ang and I were laying down some mulch in the gardens yesterday, and I got a little close to to the Sand Cherry tree...Hummer came straight at me, dove down, buzzed between my legs, then hovered behind me chittering and chattering. Ang got a real kick out of it.

PT7, I think that's a female you have there...the males have an iridescent patch on their throats that can look red, orange, or black depending on how the light hits it.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 pm

You are the second person that corrected me on that....and you both are right. :oops: Got to study up on my Audobon pics!
Thanks, Roddy.

roddy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:22 pm
PT7, I think that's a female you have there...the males have an iridescent patch on their throats that can look red, orange, or black depending on how the light hits it.
0 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:59 pm

Fascinating little creatures. The can accelerate from 0-30 mph in about 2 seconds.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm

Sorry PT...wasn't meaning to correct, just inform. My bad anyway...I jumped the gun, and should have read more of the thread.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:47 pm

roddy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm
Sorry PT...wasn't meaning to correct, just inform. My bad anyway...I jumped the gun, and should have read more of the thread.
Your comment not taken at all to be critical, Roddy...I think it's good info. I'm not what people might consider to be a birdwatcher, and don't have a large knowledge about birds. But since I moved to this house just this year, there are a lot more visitors in our backyard. Getting to know them a little better as time goes on. :)
1 x

~Пока~

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:08 am

It's a good feeling, getting to know your little backyard visitiors. Another one to watch for is the common Black-capped Chickadee...not a particularly pretty bird, but entertaining to watch. They have little fear of man, and with a bit of patience, you'll have them eating right out of your hand. We have several 'hand fed' Chickadees around the yard.
3 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:56 am

Yesterday we had the high mist/spray sprinkler going on the side lawn adjacent to a young lace leaf maple. The hummingbirds were flying a loop out of the maple through the sprinkler and back to the maple repeatedly. Looked like a lot of fun! Certainly fun/amusing/amazing to watch :P
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:14 am

They definitely like light rain. I have noticed that pattern. We have lots of them especially up at the mountain cabin.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am

Off topic segway. We have a side yard sitting/garden area. There is a pretty Current bush on the south side and bird feeder pen (repurposed dog kennel*) on the north side. The Chickadees were flying back and forth with no regard for us, except not to smack into us with their flybys.

(*bird protection from cats)
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234