Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

crashed my drone yesterday

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

crashed my drone yesterday

Post by Blackdog » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:14 am

I'm on South Padre Island - deep in south Texas, making some photos for a hotel/resort.
I have a drone that I normally fly without the goggles, but yesterday I wanted to us them and my wife was going to be my spotter. When your under the hood all you can see is what the camera sees - so the spotter is suppose to tell you wen you get near anything.

I learned a good lesson yesterday - practice with your spotter before you use the drone in a "money shoot".
I was running video, and planned to rise above the dunes and circle in on the managers party around the pool.
My wife is very soft spoken and after shooting for many years I don't hear so well. I kinda heard her say "go up a little bit" I went up a foot and wacked a palm tree and ending the life of my drone. (what she should have said was "go up 10 feet!" I blame myself, we had not practiced this before...it was a $1200 mistake and I did not get the shot)

If you re going to fly a drone with a spotter be sure to get some practice before you ""do it for real." And, define "a little bit." It was the talk of the party for about 5 minutes.

I'll try to post a link to the fatal video later..

M
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: crashed my drone yesterday

Post by GFK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:42 am

Well, I guess that was retirement money spend. That is the point of retirement, fun! So, keep having fun. I was close to those parts some years ago. I was in the Corpus Christi/Ingleside area for a few years. There was a naval base in Ingleside that I was at. Now, it has been turned over to Corpus Christi Post Authority. It's interesting how our taxes dollars are spend during a President's term in office.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:06 pm

Dang, that was expensive. Sorry that happened.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:11 pm

while I've never flown a drone, there is no doubt in my mind that when it comes to crashing one, I wouldn't need any help whatsoever .. :oops: .. hate it for you, that was an expensive mistake
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:50 am

I was snowmobiling last winter in some very deep powder on a sunny day, and a friend was along with his drone. He got some great shots of my brother and I climbing up through some trees (he should, he owns a company that flies drones for Hollywood). The sad part of the day was when ha landed his drone on the track that we were riding downhill on just after a corner. Did I mention the drone was all white? Well, my 1200 Skidoo and I weigh about 800 lbs together so you can imagine the results weren’t too pretty. He had no spotter to blame!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

albin25
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by albin25 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:35 pm

How's the palm tree?...I hope you didn't damage it.
Last edited by albin25 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Blackdog wrote:... I kinda heard her say "go up a little bit" I went up a foot and wacked a palm tree and ending the life of my drone. (what she should have said was "go up 10 feet!" ...
ummm, so going up from under the tree 10ft instead on 1ft somehow misses the tree?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234