Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Camera, Recommendations?

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New Camera, Recommendations?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:22 pm

I started taking pics in high school with film cameras, and have shot all my life. Never really had the time or money to really pursue the hobby as others were at the front of the pack. I just tried to keep a "decent" camera handy. I had a couple pros over the years tell me I had a "good eye" and luck. A wicked combination according to one.

I have been lucky, but also patient in the past when shooting nature. I would sit in the garden for hours waiting for the right shot. ;) With the stress of work and family, I found it very calming.

Later I kept a good camera combo on hand for kayak fishing trips. If the fish weren't biting, there was usually something to shoot, and a good camera in the woodshop... that goes without saying.

:lol:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:25 pm

These days, the DSL has a huge advantage. You can shoot hundreds of pics, bracketing the image you want with multiple shots. For every image you shoot, and keep, you can delete ten, or twenty. You can crop and adjust as well. I love it.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:37 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:These days, the DSL has a huge advantage. You can shoot hundreds of pics, bracketing the image you want with multiple shots. For every image you shoot, and keep, you can delete ten, or twenty. You can crop and adjust as well. I love it.
Yep, so flexible, and, like you, such a far cry from my original 35mm days with film in a Pentax camera!

The ability to just hit "Delete" allows you to just keep shooting, and the odds are that there's a good on in there somewhere, or at least one that's editable enough to do something with.

I got hooked when I lived in the PacNW, probably one of the most photogenic places in the world. Trouble was, i was never able to focus (pun intended) on one specific area, since I liked it all: landscape, wildlife, architecture, action/sports. I just dabbled instead of deep-diving.

Then I moved back to MIssouri, which is nice, but it's no Columbia River Gorge...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:27 pm

I like my Canon 70D but you got a nice deal getting that D700. I had looked it up when ESquared first posted about it but didn't realize it had a full frame sensor. I have a nice Tamron lens but have never been really happy with some of results I get using it with my APS camera.

Tony Northrup mentioned in one of his videos that while they worked it was not uncommon for a really nice lens designed for a full frame to not be quite so good on a smaller sensor camera.

Also I had known that you have to multiply the lens length by 1.6 when using it on a APS camera but you also have to multiply the f-stop rating. So if you think your getting a f2.8 it's actually going to be more like a f4.5.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:These days, the DSL has a huge advantage. You can shoot hundreds of pics, bracketing the image you want with multiple shots. For every image you shoot, and keep, you can delete ten, or twenty. You can crop and adjust as well. I love it.
I was talking to wedding photographer and he said that back in the film days he would have to somewhat limit the number of shots he took. With digital he said he would literally take 1000's of shots at a wedding.

Also, the higher end Canons (and I assume it's the same for Nikons) have the ability to save each photo to 2 cards so you will still have your photos if something was to corrupt one of your cards.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:45 pm

dave77 wrote:I like my Canon 70D but you got a nice deal getting that D700. I had looked it up when ESquared first posted about it but didn't realize it had a full frame sensor. I have a nice Tamron lens but have never been really happy with some of results I get using it with my APS camera.

Tony Northrup mentioned in one of his videos that while they worked it was not uncommon for a really nice lens designed for a full frame to not be quite so good on a smaller sensor camera.

Also I had known that you have to multiply the lens length by 1.6 when using it on a APS camera but you also have to multiply the f-stop rating. So if you think your getting a f2.8 it's actually going to be more like a f4.5.
As a hacker, I never really learned much about the various settings on the cameras... I used auto as much as I could and shot above and below the recommended settings to get the various effects I was looking for. Way back when I had to pay for prints, I learned to look at negatives and decide which ones MIGHT turn out, and I printed a LOT of stuff on slide stock, then used the slides to pick out prints.

A friend owned a huge farm, and it was the subject of a lot of my time as a teen. My place got a lot of my attention, as did the water.
hummingbird moth pic virginia wildlife pic.jpg
This pic was chosen as the PIC of the month for the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries....
Patience and Luck...
butterfly 01.JPG
This is another Garden shot...
a favorite.
turtles sample.jpg
I love these turtles from a kayak fishing trip. The colors, the reflection. The fact that the kayak allowed me to float in close and never disturb them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Really like the hummingbird and turtle photos. Looks like you have depth of field settings figured out. I mostly shoot in aperture priority for depth of field control unless I know I need a faster shutter speed.

I know what you mean about camera settings. I had the 400+ page PDF manual for my 70D printed and I've still not managed to go through the whole thing. Everytime I pick it up I learn something new about my camera, now remembering it all is a different story.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:18 pm

The new camera does a good job. Still raining here, but a sample shot taken in the shop.
test shot.jpg
This is a shot of two Black Walnut logs that I ran thru the Carter Band Saw Mill. It Safely allows you to put two 90 degree sides on logs, then run them against the fence on the band saw and cut them into planks to use later as you see fit. sharp clear pic...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 am

Finally got a sunny day....
Here is a shot of the back yard, looking across from the corner of the back of the wood shop toward the berm on the range.
back yard.jpg
Love the new camera!
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Very nice. What lens?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357