Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Official Sunrise/Sunset Thread

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Official Sunrise/Sunset Thread

Post by Vaquero » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks CT, I'll get the hang of it one of these days.
It's just a pain to edit and reedit to figure which way to rotate.I understand that when I take them sideways that they should be turned.
But when I taken straight I shouldn't have to, and don't on the other forums.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:33 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
vaquero wrote:Why?????????????????????
Vaquero,
I saved each image to my computer. When I opened them they appeared exactly as they did in your post, one upside down, the other sideways. I rotated them in to their proper orientation, then uploaded them into this post. As you can see, they are properly oriented.

I think the problem may be explained by the position (orientation) of your Samsung phone when you snapped them. Of course, that's just a guess. Do some experimenting to test it.

20151111_061747.jpg
20171225_064814.jpg
Yep, rotate the phone left to 9 o'clock. Bingo!
0 x

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 pm

20171218_165348(0).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 pm

20180114_072232.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Here are a few from my collection.

First Landing State Park was one of our two vacations a year. We'd rent a cabin for a week and kayak fish every day, several times a day. The beach at first landing offered great fishing... including bluefish, drum, and even a shark now and then. The skies could have been painted by Disney.
netline first landing sunset.jpg
Working a rare dayshift one day, I caught this huge oak that marked the turn to our first house in Powhatan county before we moved further out into Central VA, set aflame by the sunset. First rule for photographers.... always have a camera... :P
wallpaper tree.jpg
Way back when, I was still young and studly, had muscles and Dress Blues, I was on an Joint Forces NATO op in a Fjord in Norway.... the sun setting was an event. The shadow at the top of the pic is the 5" deck gun and the cables at the bottom are the safety chains for the Gun Mount. It's about 20 degrees out, and the decks are covered with ice. It snowed that day, and we had a snowball fight on the flight deck... then it got cold - ER. Even folks from the "Winter" states of the US were going ... "Holy Crap it's cold."
wallpaper nordic sunset.jpg
You think you know cold until you can spit and it freezes before it hits the ground. :lol: It was so cold on one night watch, I was afraid to pull up my face mask to spit, afraid it would freeze IN my mouth. :roll:
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:02 pm

BOM, I was intrigued by the picture taken on the water. I decided to play with it a little.

The big thing I changed was to put the horizon on the one third line. I did just a minute of playing with the contrast and saturation. See if you like it better.
test.jpg
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Yup, it looks great. I didn't really know the rule of thirds back then, and if I had waited about five or ten minutes, ol mother nature would have fixed that color issue. :D

I do a lot of cropping and photo shop these days... but with sunsets, I try to present them as God painted them. Lol.
;)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:33 pm

I'll add a few more tomorrow... I love sunrise/sunset shots... and have been lucky.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 pm

Great photos, thanks.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:52 am

A few more favorites...

This one is typical of Miss Tina... at the back of a 700 acre reservoir, an hour's paddle away from the boat landing... she gets a monster strike on a cast into the grass and I tell her we need to head back before it gets dark. "Just one last cast...." she says, "Just one more." 100 casts later, and the sun is setting behind her. :lol: Luckily, we have paddled this lake for twenty years and know it well, and have headlamps in the dry boxes in the hull of the kayaks. (No, she never caught THAT monster.)
last cast.jpg
This next pic was taken at another large reservoir near our farm... and another favorite for citation bass. In fact, this picture was submitted to Werner Paddles and used in one of their ads. Our dealer told them we own a dozen Werner paddles and have used them for years and they needed to see this picture. They loved it. I liked the backlit paddle, the frozen water drops off the tip of the blades, and the suggestion of the end of the day of fishing.
forum werner ad.jpg
Another pic from the same reservior....
I just liked the reflection on the water, the mix of colors in the sky and the warmth of the picture...
briery creek sunset.jpg
1 x