Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Central Florida

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Central Florida

Post by Henry88 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:42 am

Hey guys I figure most people probably know what the landscape around Central Fla is, but thought I might start a thread with some pics of what the average kind of hunting would look like here in Volusia County. This happens to be the old Beck Ranch, about 2 miles from my home.......

If there is better squirrel habitat on earth, I don't know where it would be :)

Well here it goes..........

045.JPG
047.JPG
052.JPG
054.JPG
056.JPG
060.JPG
066.JPG
070.JPG
072.JPG
078.JPG
080.JPG
081.JPG
069.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Central Florida

Post by clovishound » Wed May 30, 2018 9:48 am

Takes me back to hunting squirrels in the Tomoka area when I was in my late teens.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Really enjoyed the pics. We've visited Florida in Lake County. Hubby has relatives, there. Looks very similar. Never thought of it as squirrel hunting country, but, of course, where I grew up, squirrel country looked much different. How often do you encounter snakes in that area while hunting?
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed May 30, 2018 4:02 pm

Nice pics. Not too unlike our E. Texas coastal areas. Have to keep an eye out for Al E. Gator.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Those are some neat trees, nothing like that here in WA state. What are the ones with the spikey trunks?
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Wed May 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Is this private property that you need permission to hunt on?
I reside in SW FL and everything here is private property or a management area that you need a permit to hunt the area.
The wife and I keep thinking of moving further north and inland in FL to escape the snow bird nightmare that descends upon us every winter. Looking for an area that has nice bass ponds/lakes and some place to hunt.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:09 am

North Country Gal wrote:Really enjoyed the pics. We've visited Florida in Lake County. Hubby has relatives, there. Looks very similar. Never thought of it as squirrel hunting country, but, of course, where I grew up, squirrel country looked much different. How often do you encounter snakes in that area while hunting?
Hey NCG, I should start out by explaining things. Like you, I haven't hunted in a couple of years, and at this point have no plans to hunt this year, though that could change.
The pictures are of the old Beck Ranch. It was donated by the Beck Family but is still an active cattle ranch. The only thing I could pull up (quickly) on the intenet was about the adjacent 25 acre park. What I'm on is about a 1500 or so piece of property that is an active ranch but allows hiking and you can camp out there.

Across SR415 there is an equal size property that was donated by another relative of the Becks that is open to hunting, including centerfire rifles. It is also an active working cattle rance. :roll: That is known as Lake Monroe WMA and there is a lot on the web. It's first gate is just a little over a mile from where I live.

As far as snakes, it's very rare to see one. They're probably there, you just don't see them. I don't even think about them. If I did, I couldn't go out there. The wet feet bother me more (Lt Dan :D). I do wear snake boots (supposibly water tight :x )
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:10 am

dave77 wrote:Those are some neat trees, nothing like that here in WA state. What are the ones with the spikey trunks?
Dave, they are some form of sable palm, or so they look to me. Normal sable palms don't get that high though, but definately some kind of palm.

BTW, those big oaks with the trunks running laterally are Southern Live Oaks, what they constructed the hull of the USS Constitution with, I believe.
Last edited by Henry88 on Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:15 am

Bugs wrote:Is this private property that you need permission to hunt on?
I reside in SW FL and everything here is private property or a management area that you need a permit to hunt the area.
The wife and I keep thinking of moving further north and inland in FL to escape the snow bird nightmare that descends upon us every winter. Looking for an area that has nice bass ponds/lakes and some place to hunt.
Hey Bugs, read my reply to NCG above about hunting. This area is a fishing paradise, and there are a number of public hunting WMAs in the area including Ocala, but you have all the drawbacks of dealing with public hunting. I find them the most useful after the first month of the season for small game, when all the deer hunters have scored or given up.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu May 31, 2018 11:34 am

As to snakes, I can relate a story from my teenage years. I usually hunted with my best friend. I had access to an area through a family member that was not hunted by many. One day I went out by myself. I was carrying my single shot .410. I was walking slowly through the woods looking up in the trees for squirrels. I was about to put my foot down, when I looked and I was about to step on a very large rattler. Without thinking, I jumped back and shot him with my shotgun. He was coiled up and that little .410 blew him into several large pieces. I kept a better eye on where I was putting my feet after that.

We used to call those palms, cabbage palms. If you cut one down, there is an edible section near the roots.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya