Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Photo testing

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Photo testing

Post by The Wiz » Thu May 24, 2018 12:43 pm

You are a bad boy. Do you need adult supervision? :P
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:11 pm

~+~+~+~
Carbine and Express1_2482.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat May 26, 2018 12:56 am

It is this forum .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:32 am

I'm using Firefox. I see the photos you all say are aspect ratio distorted as distorted too. I also see your normal ones as normal. Out in the other topics I see a lot peoples pictures upside down.

I've not been able to upload a photo that displays as aspect ratio distorted regardless of portrait or landscape orientation. I have one of 3 things happen when I upload pictures, they are either normal, inverted or rotated. When I see not-normal in preview I delete the upload, rotate the photo and then upload it again and it then displays as it should.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:32 am

Found this on GoDaddy
Images might display sideways or upside down after uploading them to your website thanks to the picture being taken on a phone or camera that is in landscape mode. While most image viewers will automatically rotate the image to the correct orientation when viewing it, most internet browsers do not.

In order to change the orientation on an image, you will need to open the picture in a dedicated image editing software, rotate it to your desired orientation, then save the image and re-upload it onto your website.
In another photo forum, landscape mode is achieved by rotating your phone left or right from vertical. The picture can end posted upside down or right side up depending on which way you rotated the phone before taking the picture.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:55 am

our forum software often turns cellphone photos, no clue why .... if a photo from a phone or camera is saved to a computer, opened by a photo program (I use IrfanView ===> https://www.irfanview.com/) , turned as need/if it is needed, resave to the computer, then uploaded to the forum, if it is correctly sized it will upload to the forum in the right alignment
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:33 pm

JEBar wrote:our forum software often turns cellphone photos, no clue why .... if a photo from a phone or camera is saved to a computer, opened by a photo program (I use IrfanView ===> https://www.irfanview.com/) , turned as need/if it is needed, resave to the computer, then uploaded to the forum, if it is correctly sized it will upload to the forum in the right alignment
I don't think it's just this forum's software. Lots of other postings on the web claim this is a common problem with the web browsers themselves.

Yes I use the photo edit procedure on my computer too to get pictures into the correct orientation.

I think if one figures out how to hold the phone in the right orientation when taking a picture the pictures will post correctly. I'm not sure about this so I'll take some pictures, post them and see what comes of it.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 pm

These are a series of pictures taken with my phone of a vertically placed object. A notebook propped up standing open vertically.

Basic phone description: phone logo at the top, phone home button at the bottom. Phone touch screen facing toward me. Camera lens is on the back of phone, near the top almost behind the phone logo. Browser is Firefox.

Screen shot from my PC desktop. Pictures are in the correct orientation as viewed on my PC and this screen shot uploaded to HRF in the correct orientation too, but the aspect ratio is distorted (distortion not seen in the posting previewer).
pc .JPG
1. This picture was taken with the phone right-side-up (portrait). ie phone logo at the top. You can see this picture uploaded rotated to the left.
20180623_110924.jpg
2. This picture was taken with the phone up-side-down (portrait). ie phone logo at the bottom. After upload you see this picture rotated to the right.
20180623_110935.jpg
3. This picture was taken in landscape with the phone logo to the left. This picture after upload is in the correct orientation.
20180623_110954.jpg
4. This picture was taken in landscape with the phone logo to the right. This picture after upload is upside down.
20180623_111005.jpg
So now if I can remember how to hold my phone when taking a picture, it will upload in the correct orientation (as in #3).

1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:36 pm

interesting ... thanks for taking the time and effort to research it
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:43 pm

sure - no problem. I hope it was helpful to our members.

oh - one more thing. Using Firefox in debug mode, found that the aspect ratio problem is a height issue. Causes images to be stretched in height which artificially makes them look squished in width. Removing the height parameters in the HTML code for the pictures got rid of the aspect ratio problem. As part of this debug I also noticed that all my photos suffered some aspect ratio issue with picture height. For most pictures the height stretch was just a small amount and not all that noticeable (for example 995px vrs 1024px). For other pictures the HTML code had the height space set sometimes more than 2x the actual height of the photo resulting in a height stretched photo (995px vrs 1830px). By deleting the height parameters and leaving the width parameters alone the pictures appear to auto adj in height and look ok. I haven't tried this yet, but I think that removing both height and width parameters in the HTML code the pictures will display just fine in their native aspect ratios.

This debug is local to my PC and in no way affects the actual HRF website.
0 x