Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pelican, first Nikon pictures

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Pelican, first Nikon pictures

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 pm

Clovispup and I went to a local state park and took the new Nikon she got for Christmas out to stretch it's legs. Here is one I took of a pelican backlit. I used the telephoto zoom and braced against the boardwalk. I took a few pics, but let Clovispup take the lions share. It is her new camera, after all. Not entirely happy with the composition, but like the picture overall. I just let the camera do the thinking in auto mode. I know. :roll: I didn't want to hog the camera, so I let it do it's thing.
pelican2.JPG
The only down side is that I may not be happy with the older Canon anymore. Well, this year I can either get my own new Nikon, or the Smith M&P I have my eye on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Pelican, first Nikon pictures

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Uh...tough choice?
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Nice photo.

What model Canon do you have? I've been happy with my 70D, I would like to upgrade to a full frame body but can't really justify the expense especially since I would need to get a couple more full frame lenses to go with it.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:46 am

It's one of the older Rebel EOS series. I believe it is something like 5.6 megapixels. Might be a little higher, but nothing close to the newer cameras.

I did some research before getting the Nikon. It sounds like the full frame bodies aren't the big advantage they used to be. This one is 24 MP, although MP isn't everything.

I'm curious how the high def video does. I was a little disappointed in the limitations of the bluetooth connection to tablets. Still, that was more or less a bonus feature. I was mainly looking at the higher resolution, and the larger on camera screen. The ability to shoot HD video is nice as well. Not sure how much that will be used, but it may come in handy.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 am

It looks like a nice photograph. I hope she does well with it. You got a good deal on it and she will soon be out of auto mode. :P

I've taken some photographs with my 6 mp Canon Rebel that would hold their own. I currently use a Canon 60D. It does all I want it to. Once you upgrade to L glass in the lens, you won't go back. I will say that the Rebel and the 60D have had the same L lens on it when they took their best pictures.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 am

As much as higher resolution stats mean to a lot of us, I suspect they mean far less in practice. I also suspect that one down side of the older Canon is an aging amateur class zoom that no longer registers the elements as tightly as it did from the factory. I can definitely see more play than I am comfortable with in the Canon lens at full zoom extension.

Since the glass on the Canon has been around the block a few times, and the kit from the Nikon included included new lenses that covered the same territory, and the Nikons seem to offer more for the money in a amateur level DSLR, I decided to go with the Nikon this go round. I also prefer the focusing motor in the body, rather than the lens, as Canon does.

I've always liked Nikon, but in the past (we are talking film days here), I always felt that I could get much more for my dollar with other brands at the time. Back then, money was a lot tighter, so I had to spend carefully on my hobby. The only Nikon I owned in the past was a Nikon brand enlarging lens. I was willing to spend more on good optics for the enlarger, as all my B&W images were being projected through this lens, and the Nikon was regarded as one of the best without going to the insanely priced German optics.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:49 pm

OK, here is another. I like the composition a little better, but feel the other bird in the picture detracts rather than adds.
pelican3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 pm

clovishound wrote:OK, here is another. I like the composition a little better, but feel the other bird in the picture detracts rather than adds.
It's a great photo, CH. The two birds belong together and -- in my opinion - your composition is perfectly constructed, adhering to the rule of thirds and it's balanced in both color and form. Love it. Thanks.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am

I think the main detraction of the second picture is the position of the bird's neck. The first one has a nice flowing shape to it. The second, not so much. I agree the overall composition is better.

When I was into photography, I was always very critical of my photographs. Even ones I really liked would be critiqued to expose flaws and issues. Ostensibly this was to to better next time. Some of it was just never being satisfied with my work. Dissatisfaction with my work was one of the reasons I moved on from photography. I was a much more successful river diver than I was photographer.
0 x