Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Goats

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Goats

Post by dave77 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Have posted a few photos of my goats so here's a few more.

Had Pygmy goats years ago to keep my horse company. Around 5 years ago decided to get some goats to keep weeds and Cottonwood suckers in the pasture under control. Had these 2 girls first.

Brownie and Minnie

A friend brought by a few goats after a couple of years, one was a young buck so the following June had a surprise, thought the buck was too small but apparently not.

Red and Baby Goat

We lost dad goat last year but this Spring had another surprise and had to change Baby Goat's name.

Grandma and Baby/Dad Goat

Runt and the twins

Brownie, Luke and Leia (they were born May the 4th)

Recent photos of the babies, probably won't have any babies next year, Brownie had some health issues and is a lot better but I think I'm going to keep her separated from Dad this year, Leia is too young and not sure I want to breed her to her Dad anyway.

Leia and Big Twin (lost Little Twin)

Brownie, Luke and Leia
5 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Goats

Post by Henry88 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:59 am

That's so cool. Would like to do something like that someday as I'm zoned agricultural and have the room.

BYW, goats also eat Kudzu, the curse of the south.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 am

Great pics. Thanks.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 am

Henry88 wrote:BYW, goats also eat Kudzu, the curse of the south.........
along with fire ants, most certainly agree on the curse of the south ... :evil:
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:20 pm

JEBar wrote:
Henry88 wrote:BYW, goats also eat Kudzu, the curse of the south.........
along with fire ants, most certainly agree on the curse of the south ... :evil:
Kudzu hasn't had the impact here in Florida that it has had up in by you, JEBar, but we have something just as bad, wild grape.

I keep after it on my property, but most just let it go. Ironically, it's taking over the forests, but its a protected plant :roll:

These days a lot of people aren't aware of much beyond their iphone and don't notice it. The petty bourgeoisie may actually appreciate it :D

It looks a lot like, and is often confused with kudzu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Not a lot that goats won't eat. Neighbor has some grapes and raspberry's planted right next to the fence and they love them. They'll eat the raspberry branches thorns and all. My pasture is right next to a creek and I would get a jungle of Cottonwood suckers I would have to cut down every year, with the goats there you would have a hard time finding even one small sucker. They'll stand up on their back legs to reach Cottonwood branches growing over the fence.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... hurt-a-bit
Last edited by dave77 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Henry88 wrote:That's so cool. Would like to do something like that someday as I'm zoned agricultural and have the room.

BYW, goats also eat Kudzu, the curse of the south.........
I think they would do great in the south, up here we need about a ton and a half of hay to get 6-8 goats through late fall and winter.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:42 pm

There is a farm up here that has set up a rent a goat service. They come out to your property to determine how many goats you need to clear the land. Then set up temporary fencing and deliver the goats. They stop by daily while the goats are working to provide fresh water and check their health. They also feed them so they get a balanced diet besides weeds.
A friend had two dozen on her property for two weeks and they did a great job cleaning up the kudzu and other underbrush. She had some elephant ear plants that they wouldn’t touch.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:07 am

Miss Tina's mother had two females and a male goat when we first met way back in the early 90s. Now, her mother knew all about cows, chickens, even horses, but not that much about the goats. But she wanted goats, so Miss Ts dad built the fenced area, and mom got the goats. :D She had a lot to learn.

First thing was Billy smelled awful. :o So my future mother in law gave Billy a bath with Dawn. It was an Epic Tina's dad sat inside and watched from the kitchen table. Mom and Billy both smelled as fresh as springtime when it was over, as the battle of the bath insured that mom wore as much of that five gallons of warm Dawn scented water as Billy did. Billy trotted off to the center of the goat pen snorting and shaking his head, and mom gathered the hose, bucket,,nozzle, and rags, and went to store them in the garage. She had quickly learned anything left in reach of the goats, disappeared. It would reappear a few days later as goat pellets. :lol:

Billy, meanwhile, disapproved, of his new cologne. He finally solved this problem by sticking his head between his legs and spraying a personal scent on his head and neck. Ah... that's better. That hour long bath battle victory lasted two minutes. Tina's mom came in the back door grinning. Her dad was... dying.

Mom and Billy had quite the relationship for almost a year... until he got out of the pen one day when mom was bent over trimming the rosebushes that lined the front of the porch. The target was too good to pass up. He lowered his horned head... and... :twisted: :twisted:

Funny.... pop could barely tell the story of why the goat pen was gone... and digging ma outa the rose bushes... he'd start talking, then laughing so hard tears would roll... ma didn't see the humor. I expected lamb for dinner... but the trio had moved up the street.

"The girls didn't do anything wrong," she said, "and they would have missed the evil thing." She tossed a look at pop. "Don't ask me how I know that."
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Goats staring at my back door waiting for Breakfast.

3 x