Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cow Country

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Cow Country

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:50 pm

You usually just see the view of cow country through Dakota's ears...but my wife snapped a pic of us just getting back from a Sunday morning ride....here he is in all his paint horse glory...:)....he is such a gentleman to ride, always willing and wants to please. As mentioned before in another thread, my experience with Paints is they tend to worry about stuff, so you have to give them time to figure things out, and then you are good to go.

As for the gear, most of the time I wear full leg chaps called "shotguns" but today I opted for shorter ones with a long fringe called "chinks" which are popular in the buckaroo country of the Great Basin region; Nevada/Oregon. They are cooler in the warm weather and It was a little warm today....the reins are braided horsehair, and one continuous long line that works with a snaffle bit. It attaches to the bit with "slobber leathers". This particular setup is called a "Mecate"or "McCarty"...it provides a get down line tucked into my belt, helps when getting on and off to have a lead line, and might be your last life line if your horse bucked you off in the middle of nowhere...hang on and hope he doesn't head for home without you.... :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:14 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:50 pm
the reins are braided horsehair, and one continuous long line that works with a snaffle bit. It attaches to the bit with "slobber leathers". This particular setup is called a "Mecate"or "McCarty"...it provides a get down line tucked into my belt, helps when getting on and off to have a lead line, and might be your last life line if your horse bucked you off in the middle of nowhere...hang on and hope he doesn't head for home without you.... :shock:
fascinating .... first time I remember hearing of such a rig
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:06 pm

Another great pic RR! What a handsome couple.☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:33 pm

He is a very flashy horse for sure. He likes to rest his head on my wife's shoulder or mine if we are just standing around talking. Quite a character.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:31 pm

You two belong together. Great pic and great life. Thanks RR.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:05 am

That's educational as well as interesting! Thank you for sharing.
RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:50 pm
You usually just see the view of cow country through Dakota's ears...but my wife snapped a pic of us just getting back from a Sunday morning ride....here he is in all his paint horse glory...:)....he is such a gentleman to ride, always willing and wants to please. As mentioned before in another thread, my experience with Paints is they tend to worry about stuff, so you have to give them time to figure things out, and then you are good to go.

As for the gear, most of the time I wear full leg chaps called "shotguns" but today I opted for shorter ones with a long fringe called "chinks" which are popular in the buckaroo country of the Great Basin region; Nevada/Oregon. They are cooler in the warm weather and It was a little warm today....the reins are braided horsehair, and one continuous long line that works with a snaffle bit. It attaches to the bit with "slobber leathers". This particular setup is called a "Mecate"or "McCarty"...it provides a get down line tucked into my belt, helps when getting on and off to have a lead line, and might be your last life line if your horse bucked you off in the middle of nowhere...hang on and hope he doesn't head for home without you.... :shock:
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:49 am

Cow country is a busy place right now. Took a ride through the cattle this morning again. Nothing like a brass Henry in the morning sun....:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Most often see the ears from your saddle position. But your third photo with almost a full-face directly into the camera is a beautiful portrait! Looks like a most pleasant day, too.

Compliments on the nice photography, and poses, in that morning sun!

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 pm

stands his ground without reins .... nice .... very nice indeed
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:56 pm

He is hobbled, all my horses hobble. It's the best way to let them graze when out in the back country, and you don't have to worry about them wandering off. Good for lunch time and break time.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C