Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Runcorn's Mersey Bridges

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Runcorn's Mersey Bridges

Post by Les » Thu May 04, 2017 4:02 am

Runcorn is a relatively small town, dating back to early Anglo Saxon times, but it plays a huge part in the economy of the surrounding regions. It boasts the first major bridge to span the River Mersey, which was completed in 1962. It spans the 'Runcorn Gap', which is a narrow part of the river Mersey, approximately 12 miles from Liverpool. At the time of its completion, it was the 3rd longest single span steel bridge in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runcorn

Due to the huge amount of traffic which uses the old bridge on a daily basis, a new bridge is due to be completed in the Autumn of 2017. It is only a mile up river from the existing bridge. This is Runcorn and the existing bridge from the air:-
Aerial view of Runcorn.jpg
This is the old bridge from ground level:-
P1030054.JPG
It is a bit difficult to see, but there is a railway bridge that also crosses the Mersey right next to the old bridge. The 3 supporting piers look as though they are supporting the steel bridge, but that is only because of the way the photograph has been taken. The railway bridge can be seen more clearly in the aerial photograph, and here below:-
1280px-Runcorn_Railway_Bridge.jpg
Before the completion of the steel bridge in 1962, the road traffic across the Mersey in Runcorn was carried by a transporter bridge. This was a simple design that has been used aound the world to span rivers etc, and during windy weather it used to make for a very "interesting" crossing! ;) :lol:
The bridge was dismantled when the steel bridge opened.
transporter_car.jpg
2168811376_218acb1549.jpg
The new bridge will be supported from 3 main piers, and at the moment it is very close to becoming a continuous span:-
P1030046.JPG
P1030049.JPG
The stretch of water at the bottom of the photographs is the Manchester Ship Canal. It is 36 miles long, and was opened in 1894. It was built to carry goods from Manchester to and from the port of Liverpool. Previously, the river Mersey used to carry this trade, but it became silted up and uneconomical to dredge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Ship_Canal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Runcorn's Mersey Bridges

Post by PT7 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:05 am

Appreciate the span of history you shared, Les.
Mercy, quite interesting.

And quite good photos telling the story, too.
Thanks for the posting, and have a great day.
1 x

~Пока~

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu May 04, 2017 7:21 pm

I appreciate the photos and the history lesson.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 pm

great pictures, the first time I've seen the Mersey .... I have heard of it and that memory is a special one .... Gerry & The Pacemakers had the hit song "Ferry Cross The Mersey" back in 1965 which was the year I graduated from High School .... it was a big hit at our school dances (AKA : sock hops ) and senor prom .... yep, lots of good memories

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Some chat-posts here by Les and others about the Mersey river.....pages 9-10 of this thread:

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... y&start=80
0 x

~Пока~

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Cool pics Les, Thanks !! ;)
0 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW