Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

bought a drone

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: bought a drone

Post by Ernie » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:38 pm

I too am practicing but I don't have near the trees you have. Wow, that's pretty good maneuvering. I have been flying the last 4 days since the weather allows and I am just attempting to not have to think too much about which control does what. It still spooks me when I can't see the drone and I am flying by the map and camera. Need to do more to get more comfortable.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:16 pm

Ernie wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:38 pm
I too am practicing but I don't have near the trees you have. Wow, that's pretty good maneuvering. I have been flying the last 4 days since the weather allows and I am just attempting to not have to think too much about which control does what. It still spooks me when I can't see the drone and I am flying by the map and camera. Need to do more to get more comfortable.
Good. I'm glad you are getting flight time. Mostly been too rainy here.

As shared before my drone doesn't have side to side or upward collision detection. I'm not familiar enough with the controls to not accidentally go sideways when I meant to turn left or right. So I have sideways flight disabled to so as not to bump into trees.

I also changed the joy stick from the default mode 2 configuration to custom, moving the steering function to the same stick as forward and reverse. So now all level flight is done with one stick and the other stick just for altitude changes.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:46 pm

I could use some assistance. I am unable to save any videos to SD card although the card is acknowledged by the controller and I formatted them in the drone. I have video in cache and can watch on controller but I am unable to download anything to my phone of computer with cable or card. I get the message that no photos are available.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ernie
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:09 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:46 pm
I could use some assistance. I am unable to save any videos to SD card although the card is acknowledged by the controller and I formatted them in the drone. I have video in cache and can watch on controller but I am unable to download anything to my phone of computer with cable or card. I get the message that no photos are available.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ernie
Video and photos are stored on the drone SD card (or drone internal memory). I don't know of a way to copy them from the drone SD Card to the Controller SD Card.
Things to try.
. Swap the SD Cards between the drone and controller, then retry the download to the phone or computer from the controller.
. Don't swap the SD Card. Instead connect the drone to the phone or computer, downloading directly from the drone. You'll need to download this way if the video/picture was saved to the drone's internal memory instead of the SD Card.

My understanding is that the video/picture that you might be seeing in the controller is just a preview version of what is in the drone. That preview version isn't at full resolution, so you want to save the one in drone anyway.

Also, on the controller make sure to use the USB port on the right. The USB port on the left is for external accessories.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:19 pm

Not using a controller SD card. I can download from the drone cache to the controller cache but nowhere else. The SD cards in the drone show no memory used even though they are selected to receive the video.
Connecting to the drone will not download anything to my phone.
Used and external card reader on phone and computer but says nothing is available.
Slot on the left on the controller is for a SD card but as you say a download to the controller is lower quality but I can't download to my phone from the controller cache.
Since my controller has a screen I do not use my phone to fly.
Maybe I will get and try another high speed SD card.
Looked on the internet and found some advice on the DJI forum but it has not worked.
Thanks
Ernie
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:00 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:19 pm
Not using a controller SD card. I can download from the drone cache to the controller cache but nowhere else. The SD cards in the drone show no memory used even though they are selected to receive the video.
Connecting to the drone will not download anything to my phone.
Used and external card reader on phone and computer but says nothing is available.
Slot on the left on the controller is for a SD card but as you say a download to the controller is lower quality but I can't download to my phone from the controller cache.
Since my controller has a screen I do not use my phone to fly.
Maybe I will get and try another high speed SD card.
Looked on the internet and found some advice on the DJI forum but it has not worked.
Thanks
Ernie
I also found some info on the DJI forum.
The internal cache in the controller is not accessible via the controller USB port. The cache video has to be saved to an SD card in the controller to be accessible through the controller USB port. Also, the drone has to be powered on to see the cache on the controller via USB. The cache is a real time image of what is in the drone memory.

When using an external card reader, you are aware the pictures and videos are buried in subfolders on the card?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:55 pm

0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:37 pm

Had help figuring out my video storage problem and started saving video last weekend after it quit raining. I am practicing flying using the video and information on the screen instead of relying on eye contact only and checking out spots I can't get to by walking. It is kind of scary. Last Saturday I went to a nearby park because I wanted to see the work done on the creek where a dam had been removed and the creek bed had been restored . I have not had a chance to kayak this stretch since the work was completed. Set up and started the drone up stream under the bridge and North into the unseen area following the creek. It is very open and I was not worried about trees but the further away it got the more paranoid I became until I just had to turn around and bring it back. When I downloaded the video to my phone last night I got a real shock when I discovered that I had flown between phone and electrical wires strung across the creek from one house to another. I am taking missing wires by inches. That would have been the end of that drone crashing into the creek. I did not see the wires while flying and there were no poles on the banks to indicate they were there. The wires were too small to be detected by the obstruction sensors on the drone so I learned an excellent lesson. In unknown areas do a careful fly over and examination first before attempting this close to earth examination because I doubt I will get that lucky ever again. When I figure out how to post video I will show you some of the area where I live. This truly has a remarkable camera and I hope to get better at using it.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:08 pm

Close call...happy for a good outcome!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 pm

Good to see you are getting flying time in! Glad you didn't hit the wires too.
0 x