Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My macro journey

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: My macro journey

Post by clovishound » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:53 pm

The characteristic honeycomb look of most compound eyes isn't evident here, but wasps have compound eyes. Lots and lots of little eyes bundled
together.

_DAB4355-topaz-sharpen-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:05 pm

Here's a dragonfly where you can see that pattern in the surface of the compound eye.

_DAB4120-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:37 pm

Wow again!!...talk about pollinators.😲 Your pics are truly opening MY eyes to what happens out there!
Thank you yet again. 👍👍
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:40 pm

Clovis, your pics are absolutely astounding. Better than anything I personally have ever seen.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:50 am

Believe me, there are pros out there that produce images on a completely different level.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:43 pm

Got out again this morning to get a little more mileage on the new lens. Not quite as pleased with today's results, but some interesting critters I haven't seen before. Had issues getting the angles and backgrounds I would have liked. It is what it is.

Ran across this dragon fly eating a damsel fly. Hey, don't eat your kin folk!!!

_DAB4391-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Interesting spider tending her web that was wrapped around the base of a flower.

_DAB4474-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Another spider. I almost missed this one as it looked just like a piece of dead vegetation on the plant's stalk.

_DAB4504-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Another trip through the butterfly house.

_DAB4572-topaz-sharpen.jpg
2 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:22 pm

When using the macro lens can you get the same magnification you got with your extension tubes but with the camera further away from the subject?
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:24 pm

Pretty much. Theoretically, I should get 1:1 with a set of tubes whose length equals the focal length of a non macro lens. Both tubes together equaled 28mm. In theory, I should be able to get more than 1:1magnification if I set the lens shorter than 28mm. Problem is somewhere around 28mm, the subject hits the front lens element when focused at minimum. At 70mm, I couldn't get full 1:1 magnification, but had maybe 2 inches working distance between the lens and subject. My 105mm macro has a little over 5 inches distance at minimum focus.

The main issue I had with such close working distances wasn't so much scaring off the wildlife, but having sufficient room to keep from shading the flash from the subject.

If I want, I can put one, or both, extensions on my new lens and get even more magnification.

Another advantage of this lens is that it is a dedicated macro lens. It is designed to give excellent resolution at very close focusing distances. Not only that it is a prime lens, which is almost always sharper than a zoom of similar quality. Both the zoom and the new macro lens are in Nikon's S series, which is geared toward professionals/serious amateurs. They typically are sharper, more robust, and better weather sealed than the consumer grade lenses. At least that is their advertising statement. I can say they are typically more robustly made, although even the high end lenses these days use a lot of plastic. Of course there is cheap plastic, and better grades of plastic.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:05 pm

Went down to a retention pond about 1/2 mile from my house. It is bordered on two sides by scrub woods. I walked the perimeter looking for bugs. At first I thought it was going to be a bust. Then I felt something on my arm. I thought it was just a small branch I was brushing up against, but the feeling persisted. I looked and saw this guy hitching a ride.

_DAB4603-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg
I gently moved him to the bushes and proceeded to take some pictures of him.

Later I ran into a colorful ladybug.

_DAB4594-topaz-sharpen.jpg
2 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:15 pm

Got rained out early, but still managed a few.

This was a HUGE caterpillar. Ended up focus stacking to get more in focus.

caterp-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

This guy was doing his best to rid the wildflower bed of caterpillars. I have another that is rather gross.

_DAB4728-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

Same spider, same flower as a couple days ago.

_DAB4721-topaz-sharpen.jpg
1 x